first stage of my first watercooling project

fr33ze

Gawd
well i've just started to mod my case to include my first water cooling rig, it's not finished yet by any means but if all goes well it should be done some time in the next week. this is just a bit of a taster for you guys before the finished result.

got all the parts i needed from this case that i got off ebay, i bought it for the wc parts inside, note this isnt the case i'll be using although i was dam tempted at one point.
fr33ze-water4.jpg

it's a wetandchilly chips setup with a dual rad, not the best performer in the world but not bad for the budget i'm on.

heres a look at the bare bones kit after its been removed from the acrylic case
fr33ze-PICT0520.JPG

Those of you with a keen eye will have spotted theres no relay which is an arse, not sure what im gonna do about that yet, might just leave the pump running 24/7 weather the comps on or not.

next up weve got the case that i'm gonna install the badboy in.
fr33ze-PICT0521.JPG

it's not the best pic of my case, really could do with a respray, anyway you get the idea.

what i basically wanna do is include the rad and fans inside the case but have a seperate airflow to everything else so basically the fans would suck air into a kind of windtunnel which is inside the case, blow the air throught the rad and then the air would exit the windtunnel. I've read over at xtremesystems that a windtunnel style design gives slightly better performance because theres less back pressure on the fans and therfore a higher airflow rate, also because theres no hot air entering the case. so those are my reasons for doing it.

the first step basically is to make room for the dual rad which isn't gonna be easy. I basically wanna make room where the hardrive rack is cuz there isn't anywhere else in the case with enough space. this means i've gotta remove the hardrive rack and find somewhere else to place the hardrives.....pic of where i'm talking about.
fr33ze-PICT0522.JPG

first step is to give my hardrives a new home in the two spare 5 1/2 inch bays i've got. Here they are in there new home..
fr33ze-PICT0517.JPG

you cant really tell from that pic but i had to shorten the brass screws to get the buggers to fit plus drill some extra holes to mount them with. hadnt anticipated doing this and it got me a bit pissed off, worth it though.
fr33ze-PICT0513.JPG
fr33ze-PICT0516.JPG

finally for this little big write up you can see where the radiator is gonna fit, starting to get quite excited about having a faster and quieter pc.
fr33ze-PICT0519.JPG

like i said i'm not finished yet but hopfully will be in a week so i'll keep you all informed with lots more pics.

couple of little points, i know the case i'm using looks a bit scrappy but i've spent far too much time modding it in the past to dump the old girl now. second point, this is the first right up i've done like this so i hope everybody likes it.

Just slap some new paint on her. Are you mounting the radiator facing that direction?

don't worry i'll respray it at some point, just need to get another can.

yeah i'll probably have it facing that way, possibly rotate it through 180 degrees, havnt thought that far ahead yet.

Originally posted by fr33ze
don't worry i'll respray it at some point, just need to get another can.

yeah i'll probably have it facing that way, possibly rotate it through 180 degrees, havnt thought that far ahead yet.

You should rotate it so its facing those fans if you plan on keeping them there.. Or even if you have holes for air to come through in the front of your case there, it would be better for the radiator to face it so the air runs through it.. would probably help you get temps down a degree or so.

i think you missunderstood what i'm planning to do. The fan you can see in the pics now wont be there when im finished.

i'm gonna cut holes in one side of the case for two 120mm fans that blow air into a sort of windtunnel. the rad will be inside the windtunnel and then there will be holes on the other side of the case for the air to exit out of. the airflow for the rad will be only for the rad and will not flow from/into the rest of the case.

hope that makes things a little clearer.

Is that an oil cooler or something like that? Looks purdy. Very shiny looking. :D

Originally posted by IYIENACE
Is that an oil cooler or something like that? Looks purdy. Very shiny looking. :D

nah its the rad that comes with the wetandchilly chips kit, but yeah i'm pleased with the looks of it, just hope it performs nice as well.

hopefully gonna do the next stage of modding/installing this wkend, gots lots of cutting to do including hacking up the motherboard tray but i need to buy some more cutting bits for my wanna be cheap imitation dremel

just done the second part of this write up, if you wanna see it i started a new thread....

here

Back