First RISC-V laptop available now for pre-order with quad-core processor and 16 GB LPDDR4X RAM

I want RISC-V to succeed.

If anything is to supplant and replace x86, it should be a license free open instruction set that anyone can use, not yet another closed one like ARM.
That said, this pretty much made me roll my eyes at this product:

ROMA also integrates a PoS, NFT and MetaMask-style wallet, making it ideal for Web3 developers. The first 100 customers to pre-order ROMA will receive a unique NFT to mark the birth of the world’s first native RISC-V development platform laptop.

I am still curious how that CPU performs though, but details are VERY light.

Last edited:
I want RISC-V to succeed.

If anything is to supplant and replace x86, it should be a license free open instruction set that anyone can used, not yet another closed one like ARM.
That said, this pretty much made me roll my eyes at this product:

I am still curious how that CPU performs though, but details are VERY light.

That's where I am with it. But I think the larger selling point for them is the ROMA platform and not just the SOC.

I wonder what is up with the 256 GB SSD restriction. You'd think they use NVMe, but even if not 256 is an odd limit.

LOLOL too funny
i've been working on RISC since the late '80s
when it was actually a REDUCED instruction set
that reduced set has become more n more n more n a lot more and vastly more to where the Reduced should be removed nowadays
how does this risc-v compare to power10 ? both in computing and power

Yeah, I 'll leave the finer details of what CISC is and how reduced you have to be in order to be RISC, and which one RISC-V is to someone else.

I just want an instruction set that is unnumbered by legal entanglements, and able to sustain high performance computing so that chipmakers can go out and compete without having to break compatibility all the time or fight out licensing agreements in court.

Is RISC-V the one? I have no idea. I don't know enough about instruction sets to say whether or not it has what it takes, but I am hopeful.

Last edited:
Yeah, it's certainly open source, but the question is is it a good instruction set for a high performance desktop?
May be too early to say. There are people working on higher-performance and multicore CPUs, but I don't think anything yet approaches desktop speed.

Yeah, it's certainly open source, but the question is is it a good instruction set for a high performance desktop? Most applications I ave seen thus far have been in cheap, low power embedded applications.
They are certainly starting to roll out more powerful things, but it's not really in the High performance side, from a SBC standpoint they are looking decent .

I know SiFive with their partnership with intel is working on more power desktop style things https://www.sifive.com/press/sifive-partners-with-intel-to-spark-innovation-in-high-performance

Back