First review of the Silverstone FT04

It's like you went on a Indiana Jones exploration trip to find this.

But I still can't wrap my head around the purpose of this case.
Would have loved a smaller TJ11.

Almost being $250-300 doesn't help either.

Last edited:
Been waiting so long for this case, but those prices are looking ridiculous. Why must you do this to me Silverstone. :(

This article is more like a preview as they used a pre-production unit that is used in product event/shows in China.

As for the price quoted in the article, please disregard it as we haven't even finalize the prices ourselves.

Wtf bring back the 90 degree mb rotation.

We never left it, so how do we bring it back? :)

All cases that have 90 dgree motherboard mounting are still in production. And they come in nearly all sizes and shapes for just about everyone:

Extended ATX - RV01, RV03
ATX - RV02, FT02, TJ11
Micro-ATX - FT03
Mini-ITX - FT03-MINI

For us, the RAVEN series is a product line that strives for more experimental designs. The Fortress series on the other hand, strives to combine the latest SilverStone designs with solid and clean exterior styling. Both are not confined to using only 90 degree motherboard mounting. With the RV04 and FT04, the goal was to create a TJ08-E equivalent in mid to full tower format, which turned out to be great for attaining unprecedented levels of space and cooling efficiency.

90 degree design is great for cooling of course (and other benefits), but to meet current standard for component compatibility, it simply isn't as efficient in terms of case sizes.

With that said, we still have several 90 degree motherboard mounting cases in development so don't think that we have abandon it!

We never left it, so how do we bring it back? :)

All cases that have 90 dgree motherboard mounting are still in production. And they come in nearly all sizes and shapes for just about everyone:

Extended ATX - RV01, RV03
ATX - RV02, FT02, TJ11
Micro-ATX - FT03
Mini-ITX - FT03-MINI

For us, the RAVEN series is a product line that strives for more experimental designs. The Fortress series on the other hand, strives to combine the latest SilverStone designs with solid and clean exterior styling. Both are not confined to using only 90 degree motherboard mounting. With the RV04 and FT04, the goal was to create a TJ08-E equivalent in mid to full tower format, which turned out to be great for attaining unprecedented levels of space and cooling efficiency.

90 degree design is great for cooling of course (and other benefits), but to meet current standard for component compatibility, it simply isn't as efficient in terms of case sizes.

With that said, we still have several 90 degree motherboard mounting cases in development so don't think that we have abandon it!

Wow thanks for the reply. I just purchased a Ft03b (matx) for myself after building several new systems using the FT03 for friends.I love it coming from a FT02. The only thing that stopped me from purchasing the ft03 mini was the lack of standard atx psu support. Would you happen to know if this is one of the things that will be addressed in future mitx 90 degree cases? :)

Wow thanks for the reply. I just purchased a Ft03b (matx) for myself after building several new systems using the FT03 for friends.I love it coming from a FT02. The only thing that stopped me from purchasing the ft03 mini was the lack of standard atx psu support. Would you happen to know if this is one of the things that will be addressed in future mitx 90 degree cases? :)

Unfortunately, I think most of our upcoming Mini-ITX cases will use SFX PSUs from now on as they reduce space requirement by half over ATX PSUs. We know current market for SFX PSU is still small, but we will work very hard to make it as popular and widely available as possible. Motherboards have had more than one form factor (Extended ATX, Micro-ATX, MIni-ITX, etc...) for years and we think it's about time for power supply to have at least two mainstream form factors.

Tony, will the FT04 fit a dual 180mm radiator in the front with push-pull AP181/182 fans and an ATX size motherboard? If so, I'm definitely going to give it a try.

As a owner of the RV02, I gotta said I have to pass on this one. I love the 90 degree design and the sleek factor of it. As far as the new Raven goes, it's a bit "cramped" in my opinion. I know that the RV02/FT02 can fit a triple 180mm rad on the bottom but the new design doesn't seem to water cooling friendly. I guess the aggressive pricing could make up for it. Maybe I'll come back to Silverstone when they introduce the 90 degree rotation on the RV05/FT05.

I rather have a more sleek looking Mini TJ11. A 90 degree TJ07.
Without the sandblasted finish. Get back to the sleek anodized finish.

I rather have a more sleek looking Mini TJ11. A 90 degree TJ07.
Without the sandblasted finish. Get back to the sleek anodized finish.

Yeah that would be been a winner in my eyes too. tj07 with 90 degree mobo, plus space for cable management and sound deadening. Basically if the ft02 and tj07 had had a baby. I realize the tj11 is most of those things, but the tj11 is full grown, I couldn't handle its dimensions or its price :(

My next build is using a TJ08-E or an FT04. Just waiting on real reviews of FT04.

Another advantage of the 90 degree rotation is the protection and concealment of all the IO connections - which for me is 4 monitor cables, soundcard, PCI TV tuner and ethernet cables and multiple USB cables

sznrolil.jpg

If retaining this feature, the obvious (to me) upgrade path to the FT02 is moving the PSU to the current 3.5 HDD storage area.
The FT02 has two or three unnecessary 5.25 bays - that space could be allocated to SSD's and HDD's as its not common to use 5 x 3.5" HDD's any more given increases in storage size and SSD's replacing many 3.5" drives
... so basically a less deep version of the current FT02 while still retaining the same 90 degree layout to protect and hide all of the IO cable connections

Last edited:
Tony, what happened to Silverstone making cool futuristic Batman-style looking cases? Such cases as the RV01 RV02 and RV03 come to mind. I loved the style of these cases, but the RV04 looks like a completely different creature.

My main issue with the RV04 is all of the obvious extra rounded plastic parts on the front. Feels and looks cheap in my opinion.

$300....for Steel and plastic?.....Have they lost their Bleeping minds? That is high end Aluminum territory there..not crappy SECC and plastic. Geez, that almost makes the D frame case look like a steal..

I like the layout on your desk and the monitors but doesn't having only 4 monitor with the bevels right in the middle bother you? I agree that the FT02 has 2 if not 3 5.25" bays and the very top one is a pain to use but outside of that I love my FT02. I'm waiting for a nice though english review on the FT04 to see if it's an option for my next build though there are some nice non-Silverstone cases that have caught my attention. I'd probably get another FT02 but it's too big for where I plan to put my next build

$300....for Steel and plastic?.....Have they lost their Bleeping minds? That is high end Aluminum territory there..not crappy SECC and plastic. Geez, that almost makes the D frame case look like a steal..

It's not $300, it will be $199-$249. And the front door and top are both aluminum.

Last edited:
It's not $300, it will be $199-$249. And the front door and top are both aluminum.

Currency conversion from yaun to usd puts it near $300, I couldn't find anything putting it closer to $200. Still too damn expensive even if that is correct. Oh the front door...Big Freaking Woop.

Currency conversion from yaun to usd puts it near $300, I couldn't find anything putting it closer to $200. Still too damn expensive even if that is correct. Oh the front door...Big Freaking Woop.

The Australian store I just linked to puts it at $219 after conversion and I've spoke to the Silverstone reps to confirm pricing should be closer to $200 in the US. It's not going to be priced higher than the FT02 unless a few places like Newegg really price gouge at launch.

And the front is the only thing aluminum in the Corsair 900d. There's no point to making the frame of the chassis or the side panels aluminum in the FT04 when all you get from it is scratches and less chassis strength while driving up the cost. The whole reason this case will be closer to $200 USD instead of $280+ is because of that.

Last edited:
... doesn't having only 4 monitor with the bevels right in the middle bother you?
The screen orientation works well for trading, never using all 4 monitors for a single window.
If not for trading, 3 monitors in landscape would be more than adequate (I don't game)

Hiding and protecting the IO cable connections is important to me. Not to mention it avoids a heap of dust build up.

I agree with you, there are other cases to grab one's attention, so the FT04 is going to compete with those given the similar case layout externally.

I saw a new commercial case from Silverstone that has a cover over the rear IO connections and the cables all exit the case at the bottom. would be great if Silverstone offered this feature at consumer level.

I love my FT02 for anti-dust, sleek appearance and mostly just incredibly quiet with cool temperatures. However, as I upgrade components, the case is will be overkill size wise, hence why I suggested a smaller version of the FT02

The Australian store I just linked to puts it at $219 after conversion and I've spoke to the Silverstone reps to confirm pricing should be closer to $200 in the US. It's not going to be priced higher than the FT02 unless a few places like Newegg really price gouge at launch.

And the front is the only thing aluminum in the Corsair 900d. There's no point to making the frame of the chassis or the side panels aluminum in the FT04 when all you get from it is scratches and less chassis strength while driving up the cost. The whole reason this case will be closer to $200 USD instead of $280+ is because of that.

Still to high. My lian-li cost me under $150, is going on 6 years old, has been to dozens of lans, moved several times and still has zero scratches, warps or dents. So no it doesn't lead to less chassis strength. Don't use garbage like the Antec lan boy as the metric.

Hi guys, if you haven't seen it, check out Anandtech's review on the RV04. It'll give you a good idea on what performance you can expect out of FT04.

Hi guys, if you haven't seen it, check out Anandtech's review on the RV04. It'll give you a good idea on what performance you can expect out of FT04.

Hi Tony

Would the FT04 work ok for a graphics card that isn't a blower type? Like the EVGA GTX 780 ACX cooler for example?

When is the FT04 suppose to be out. Its already on their website so must be real soon I would guess?

Shipping cost is quite impressive. We should be a few weeks away from a Newegg and Amazon release then.

Shipping cost is quite impressive. We should be a few weeks away from a Newegg and Amazon release then.

The first shipment of FT04 to our US office is very limited so they may show up and be out of stock quickly due to insufficient quantity. The second shipment of FT04 is the large one and won't arrive until August.

Is there going to be a non-window version? I hate windows lol

Sorry, non-window versions won't be available for at least a few more months.

Also, if you haven't seen it already, check out RV04 reviews at Anandtech and Bit-tech, they will give you a good idea of FT04's performance level. We are also sending Steve here at HardOCP a RV04 to test.

Last edited:
Back