First Quake 4 MP Screenshots and Videos!

Status
Not open for further replies.

garro1

n00b
Here you go...

It looks like it's living up to Q3's fast-paced roots. :D
Video 1: http://www.xboxyde.com/leech_1570_en.html (Go down to Direct Download)
Video 2: http://www.xboxyde.com/leech_1571_en.html (Go down to Direct Download)
Enjoy! :)

Some screens:

785_0010.jpg

785_0007.jpg

I like the textures much much better than D3. I was afraid for the plastic walls again!

Looks good! I loved Q3... I may have to switch from my 2405fpw to my Sony CRT.. :D

Jasonx82 said:
Looks good! I loved Q3... I may have to switch from my 2405fpw to my Sony CRT.. :D

Is it just me, or do you bring up some piece of hardware you own in every thread :p

As for the screens...i'll get the Xbox 360 version...no point in getting the PC version since I wont be able to max it out :(

Bleh... don't get an fps for your console. Your card is a good one. Will probably be out first and have more mods.

Jasonx82 said:

I don't really find the situation to chnge much on a per game basis. Sure MMO's work smooth, but various fps's its all the same. Slight blur, but past a certain point things are then moving TOO fast to spot it. A hard left turn in a BF2 buggy is as bad as the situation gets. I find I've stopped noticing, but might shop around again one day, sell it out and upgrade... no big 24" monitor is drastically better from what I understand. Don't do piddly upgrades know what I mean? 4ms... now we're talking! :D

texuspete00 said:
Bleh... don't get an fps for your console. Your card is a good one. Will probably be out first and have more mods.

I don't really find the situation to chnge much on a per game basis. Sure MMO's work smooth, but various fps's its all the same. Slight blur, but past a certain point things are then moving TOO fast to spot it. A hard left turn in a BF2 buggy is as bad as the situation gets. I find I've stopped noticing, but might shop around again one day, sell it out and upgrade... no big 24" monitor is drastically better from what I understand. Don't do piddly upgrades know what I mean? 4ms... now we're talking! :D

Funny, a hard turn w/ the buggy blurs my 19" CRT ( NEC FE991Sb )

texuspete00 said:

Dude, I was addicted to Quake 3 on dreamcast :LOL: I honestly don't mind playing FPS on a console. Quake 4 and Perfect Dark Zero...thats some good stuff right there :D

Circuitbreaker8 said:
Is it just me, or do you bring up some piece of hardware you own in every thread :p

As for the screens...i'll get the Xbox 360 version...no point in getting the PC version since I wont be able to max it out :(

Sorry, I just meant that the LCD wasnt gonna be all that great for fast paced games IMO (So I was gonna go back to my CRT).. I usually only chime in posts where i have exp. (things I use or have had) on lol thats why. :)

And What would you assume the specs be to play Q4 @ your desired settings? :confused: I figured it would run close to Doom 3?

texuspete00 said:
I like the textures much much better than D3. I was afraid for the plastic walls again!

QFT x 2!!!!!!!! I just hope Q4 won't be too much harder to run than Doom 3. Remember Jedi Knight 2? It ran WAY worse than Q3 did...

Jasonx82 said:
Sorry, I just meant that the LCD wasnt gonna be all that great for fast paced games IMO (So I was gonna go back to my CRT).. I usually only chime in posts where i have exp. (things I use or have had) on lol thats why. :)

And What would you assume the specs be to play Q4 @ your desired settings? :confused: I figured it would run close to Doom 3?

It should be a little easier to run than Doom 3 since its a MP game...right? They usually turn off special effects and stuff for MP to make it run better. As for SP...well...whos gonna play that :p

Oh my gosh! There is actually enough light to see with! Now maybe I can actually enjoy these great graphics.

Quake 3 all over again. I was hoping for some Quake 2 MP style action. Q3 blew goat nuts and was made for juvenile delinquents. Should be called UT:Q4.

Looks like I will be sticking to single player only for Doom4, oops i meant Quake4.

It's like they took the level design of Quake 3 and the textures and models from UT2004. In other words, Raven is setting new standards for mediocrity in the FPS genre.

OTL said:
It's like they took the level design of Quake 3 and the textures and models from UT2004. In other words, Raven is setting new standards for mediocrity in the FPS genre.
I have no idea how you came up with those conclusions, the textures look like Quake 3 textures, and don't even come close to UT2K4's textures. The player models don't look like anything that UT2K4 has to offer, the only thing that is similar is that the weapon models seem big, but Quake 3 already had big weapon models, in fact UT2K4 is more like Quake 3 with better graphics, which is why it was sub-par to UT99.

OTL said:

I guess you can't please everyone...

Look people, if you don't want to play a Quake 3-like game, don't buy a game called Quake 4!!!!!!!!!!! Just like if I didn't like UT2k3, I probably wouldn't like UT2k7 or 2k8000.

Looks very nice and i dig the Q3 style gameplay. Hope it runs fine on my overclocked 6800GT. :D

texuspete00 said:
Bleh... don't get an fps for your console.
QFT

im gettin q4 for pc, or no q4 at all.
but whatever floats your boat.

Jasonx82 said:
ill gladly take the 2405fpw off your hands. ;)

Gosh, is that what we have been waiting for? Looks like Q3 with improved weapon models using highresolution textures and reflections. I hope they actually intend to use more than 100 polygons to build a map...

Ah well see it from the bright side, 9700pro and upwards will probably run it very nicely. ;)

I downloaded and watched the video. It sure was dark. I really hope this isn't another Doom3. Does the D3 engine have 3 shades? Dark, daker, and darkest?

Banko said:
Anyone else see a similarity?

thquake2-6.jpg

:rolleyes:

Those models aren't remotely close, nor do they animate or operate in a similar manner.

On the other hand, the second gun in the first post of this thread also bears a striking resemblance to another weapon from UT2004, the Lightning Gun. A lot of creativity went into this game's art assets :rolleyes:

OTL said:
Originally Posted by OTL

Imma have to disagree with ya. Level design in quake III was superb. There are literally thousands of different ways of getting around most maps. Even an average trickjumper could pull off some really cool stuff on stock q3 maps. As far as the textures go, the only thing that looked similar in that movie was the rocket launcher. Not the first time Quake has borrowed from UT and vice versa.

Banko said:
I have no idea how you came up with those conclusions, the textures look like Quake 3 textures, and don't even come close to UT2K4's textures. The player models don't look like anything that UT2K4 has to offer, the only thing that is similar is that the weapon models seem big, but Quake 3 already had big weapon models, in fact UT2K4 is more like Quake 3 with better graphics, which is why it was sub-par to UT99.

Imma have to disagree with your last sentence. UT2k4 is nothing like q3 mainly because its DM is agonizingly slow and clunky :). I like UT2k4; however i think the default DM speed should be set to that up the speed power up. UT2k4 really needed a 'CPMA' style comp mod. That would have helped immensely.

Finally some links to back up my accusations of how UT2k4 is exremely slow paced compared to q3. The first link shows how creative a player can get when it comes to navigating q3 maps. Proof of just how great the level desing of q3. The video weighs in around 250 megs.

http://files.filefront.com/freeform_wmv_hq/;2407654;;/fileinfo.html

This next link is a link of the best UT2k4 dm frag video I have ever seen. Notice how much slower it is pace wise. Students of both games will notice that there is one level (i.e. not albatross) that is pretty much a q3 rip off. This video is roughly 250 megs as well.

http://files.filefront.com/Creating_The_Latest_Blow/;3854331;;/fileinfo.html

having played quake 4 at quakecon, i can honestly tell you it's like they took quake 3 and put the doom 3 engine on it. smooth and quick and fast paced. awesome stuff.

OTL said:
Those models aren't remotely close, nor do they animate or operate in a similar manner.

On the other hand, the second gun in the first post of this thread also bears a striking resemblance to another weapon from UT2004, the Lightning Gun. A lot of creativity went into this game's art assets :rolleyes:
Rocket loading from the back check, only thing that's not close is that the Q2's rocket launcher isn't as well round in the front, but other then that it's the same design principle.
Also the 2nd gun is the Rail Gun, and it actually looks like the rail gun except more plasticky.

Banko said:
Rocket loading from the back check, only thing that's not close is that the Q2's rocket launcher isn't as well round in the front, but other then that it's the same design principle.

You are dead wrong. The Q2 RL has a single barrel, while UT2004's has 3 rotating barrels. Q2's RL has an open magazine stack that feeds from the top, while UT2004's has none externally at all. Completely different design principles and animation.

OTL said:
You are dead wrong. The Q2 RL has a single barrel, while UT2004's has 3 rotating barrels. Q2's RL has an open magazine stack that feeds from the top, while UT2004's has none externally at all. Completely different design principles and animation.
Okay then how is Quake 4's rocket launcher similar to UT2K4's then since it gets it externally, and it only shoots one rocket. Also you can see the UT2k4 one loading rockets externally.

It looks like Q4 is basing it's weapons off of Q2, so UT is the one that is theoretically mimicking. Does this even matter though? This game will be freakin sweet! :D

Banko said:
Okay then how is Quake 4's rocket launcher similar to UT2K4's then since it gets it externally, and it only shoots one rocket. Also you can see the UT2k4 one loading rockets externally.

The model is a carbon copy, save for the trivial alterations. Heck, even the Ripper and Pulse gun from UT99 make an appearance in video #2... Can't wait to see the Redeemer and Translocator too.

OTL said:
The model is a carbon copy, save for the trivial alterations. Heck, even the Ripper and Pulse gun from UT99 make an appearance in video #2... Can't wait to see the Redeemer and Translocator too.
Umm no they don't, the Pulse gun was ripped from Quake 2, (The HyperBlast), the NailGun was a weapon in Quake 1. I don't think you've ever played Quake 2 or Quake 1.

Quite frankly it looks like the weapons from Quake 2, with the gameplay of Quake 3 Multiplayer. There are no UT2k4 rip offs.

OTL said:

sorry man, the translocator is nothing more than a crutch for UT's slow game play....additionally its not used in DM. It helps speed things up abit is all it does. If q4 is fast paced like q3, there is zero need for it in Q4. Hence you won't be seeing it "ripped off" as well.

Have you even downloaded the videos I posted yet? You act as if quake steals from UT. Check out the UT frag video i linked to. Bonus points if you can name the map that is a q3 dm ripoff. You play DM right :)

-YEGIL

Yegil said:
sorry man, the translocator is nothing more than a crutch for UT's slow game play....additionally its not used in DM. It helps speed things up abit is all it does. If q4 is fast paced like q3, there is zero need for it in Q4. Hence you won't be seeing it "ripped off" as well.

Have you even downloaded the videos I posted yet? You act as if quake steals from UT. Check out the UT frag video i linked to. Bonus points if you can name the map that is a q3 dm ripoff. You play DM right :)

-YEGIL
I haven't downloaded the video, but I'm guessing it's q3dm6?

OTL said:

That spinning blade weapon looked more or less like the Q3 gauntlet to me. The Quake franchise was out LONG before UT. Hell, while we're at it, why don't we call them all Wolfenstein 3D ripoffs. How does that sound? :rolleyes:

If you don't like Quake, why are you posting in this thread? To complain?

Seems to me that if you're a person who enjoys Doom/Quake/Wolfenstein games, there is a lot here to be excited about. If you don't like the old ones, what made you think you might like the new ones?

This is like the people complaining about Doom 3's lack of depth. It's a fraxing Doom game. Did they ever have depth? No. They are simplistic, twitchy games based on reflex action more than complex strategies. If I want instant gratification, and something I can put down at any moment, I go for an id game. If I want something to get absorbed into and use a different part of my brain, I'll go for something tactical or even an RPG or something like that. I just can't understand why people expect anything different from id and Raven. These are the games they are famous for. Other companies cover the other play styles just fine.

Now I wish they'd write a new Hexen or Heretic game on the D3 engine.

Banko said:
Umm no they don't, the Pulse gun was ripped from Quake 2, (The HyperBlast), the NailGun was a weapon in Quake 1. I don't think you've ever played Quake 2 or Quake 1.

What does the Quake 1 nailgun have to do with any of this!?

The Hyperblaster may have been the inspiration for the Pulse Gun, but it was definitely not carbon copied ala all the content I've seen from Quake IV thus far.

Yegil said:
Have you even downloaded the videos I posted yet? You act as if quake steals from UT. Check out the UT frag video i linked to. Bonus points if you can name the map that is a q3 dm ripoff. You play DM right:)

I wouldn't be able to name that because Quake III was never my cup of tea. For the record, both Quake III and UT2004 were substandard fair IMO. Lets not turn this into a Quake vs. UT thread please.

/been playing FPS's since Wolf3D, including plenty of Quake and Quake II

Quit bothering to convince OTL of anything. He obviously wants to think the game is already a bust. If that's how he is determined to be, more power to him. There's at least one of him for every cool game on the horizon...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back