first pics of G80

That thing is huge. Did you guys notice the dual 6 pin PCI-E power connectors? The power draw on that mother must be insane.

It's kind of ugly too. The 7900GTX is very pretty by comparison.

It's still hard to say how much more power it uses over current cards, but it's clear that it will use signifcantly more power. The reason I say that is because having 2 6 pin connectors doesn't necessarily mean it uses more power than one 6 pin connector provides (24A @ 12V). To maintain broad PSU compatibility, it's safer to be well under that limit and use two 6 pin power connectors instead. If I had to guess, I'd think the card will use between 190W - 215W max.

I rehosted the pics at imageshack since that site is so slow:
1159518192134rm4.jpg

1159518267645rs1.jpg

1159518316603ab1.jpg

1159518359537md5.jpg

1159518470782lz9.jpg

1159518536067bv1.jpg

1159518797347no7.jpg

That looks more like a Quadro card. I can't imagine the card really being that long.

meatfestival said:
g80ra5.jpg

here's a rough size comparison with a 7900GTX.

Then again, maybe it is that long, and the reason they put the power connectors at the top of the board is because there may not be enough room between HDD cages and the card to allow a cable to be plugged in.

Wat was Nvidia thinking; the cooler of the 7900GTX was so nice, let's put a butt ugly one on the 8800?

DEAR LORD THATS BIG like Voodoo5 big
and TWO pcie power connectors for get quad SLi with any thing less then a 1kw PSU >.<

Old coolers won't fit, by the looks of it (the center of the heatsink is shifted over to the bracket side), so we're going to have to wait for new aftermarket models as well... :( Plus, with a draw that high, I doubt even a VF700/900 will keep up!

meatfestival said:
http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/1622/g80ra5.jpg[/i mg]

here's a rough size comparison with a 7900GTX.[/QUOTE]
Using the PCI-E x16 connector as a guide, this is a more accurate scale between the 2 cards:

[IMG]http://img243.imageshack.us/img243/6264/scaledol7.jpg

The "G80" is around 1" longer.

meatfestival said:
someone said there are 12 ram chips. also notice the two power connectors.
I counted 12 Ram chips also. Looks like the rumored specs about 512Mb + 128MB (or whatever the numbers were) might be true.

Looks like a giant though. I wonder if it'll require a 'sli certified' psu as it has 2 pcie power connectors.

And thanks to the dude who rehosted them.

Elios said:
DEAR LORD THATS BIG like Voodoo5 big
and TWO pcie power connectors for get quad SLi with any thing less then a 1kw PSU >.<
Almost, but not quite as long. IIRC, the V5 5500 was 10.8" long. This "G80" seems to be about 10" long, or maybe a little over. But it will hang over the length of many motherboards by at least 0.25".

It's still within ATX card size limits and will fit inside standard cases and motherboards unless the board or case makers ignored space around the slot or size specs.

IanG said:
I counted 12 Ram chips also. Looks like the rumored specs about 512Mb + 128MB (or whatever the numbers were) might be true.
It looks like a 384-bit bus, not separated into two memory spaces. I guessed in the other thread that the G80 would have 6 64-bit memory controllers (2 chips per channel) to give a 384-bit memory bus.

The card isn't "that" big... yeah, its long... maybe an inch or so longer than other 7 series cards... but nothing insane.

All I have to say is that this better be one hellova card for me to consider it.

wow as for rumor mill, this one looks pretty good. it'll be interesting if this is a real G80 or even an engineering sample. u still gotta wonder though;)

Hey people, it's still early and this card, if it really is the G80, is certainly a pre-production prototype.
No doubt the card will be big and rumors say the GPU will have more than twice the transistor count of the 7900GTX so it will probably need a lot of watts as well. The cooler is rumored to be water-cooled but it is still just a rumor and the final modell might be quite different.

Rumors also have it at a late November/early December launch.

Alright. Weird cooler. Look carefully and you see that it has some sort of backing. I don't really understand what they've done here.

phide said:
Okay, gentlemen. Here's the question of the day:

When the cooler is installed, look at what happens to the PCB. Why, it vanishes!

Anyone got an answer for that one?
Did you look at the 6th and 7th pictures? The ugly heatsink has a plate on the bottom, probably nickel plated copper from the looks of it.

Yeah. Didn't catch them originally - something was seriously sticking out there!

Nickel plated copper would reflect the fan, unless they did not go with a bright finish, which it seems they haven't. Perhaps it's some sort of neoprene-like material. In any case, these are obviously two different coolers, and I still don't quite understand the water cooled one. The "tubing" seems to U without actually accomplishing anything - in from the top, above the fins and out again from the top. It's hard to tell with the plastic cover, however.

It's a shame these photos are so low quality. It's possible one of the stickers would reveal the true nature of this card without ambiguity.

I tried translating into Japanese, but it made very little sense. I tried Chinese and it made a bit more sense. But it's still confusing.

Who ever designed Darth Vader's helmet needs to design nVidia's next cooler. Bigger, shinnier, faster.

phide said:
It's a shame these photos are so low quality. It's possible one of the stickers would reveal the true nature of this card without ambiguity.
A clear picture of the power supply section (minus heatsink) would give a good idea of what the power consumption can't exceed.
----

XLeezardx: nvidia's cards are made in China. The leak probably came from either an employee at the card manufacturing facility, or from an employee at a card manufacturer sampling the G80. The second ones are almost all based in Taiwan or China.

It looks like Frankenstiens 6800Ultra completw with lighting burns
:D

damn some of those rumors are turning out to be true, either that or its a good photoshop joby.

I hpoe that NVIDIA's cards don't keep getting bigger and bigger until the company implodes on itself like 3Dfx.. :p

Required watercooling for a mass-market part like that would be a big-mistake. Many consumers are weary of having water in their electonic's cases. Add the issues of added cost and complexity and you have a recipie for disaster.

TheBluePill said:
Required watercooling for a mass-market part like that would be a big-mistake. Many consumers are weary of having water in their electonic's cases. Add the issues of added cost and complexity and you have a recipie for disaster.

From the looks of it, it seems to be an option for those who want to WC without voiding their warranty. But I may be wrong.

pxc said:
The leak probably came from either an employee at the card manufacturing facility, or from an employee at a card manufacturer sampling the G80.
I'm really of the belief that these are fully intentional and "nVidia approved" based on the shocking regularity of these sorts of leaks. I imagine the same applies to ATi, so we're certain to see some shots of R600-based cards in due time, and probably from that HKNews site (or whatever it's called).

I'd really have to assume that this is a pre-production sample built in China. The cooler looks to be tentative, and PCB is still fairly sparse, which leads me to believe the shipping units will be slightly shorter. Hopefully the tentative cooler changes in some fundamental way, or else we're likely going to be dealing with something very akin to the X1900/X1950 cooler. Drag.

TheBluePill said:
Look carefully and you'll see that these are two entirely different coolers. One is, supposedly, a basic water cooler, while the other is a standard HSF.

I just read the [H] news link. The posting at pconline is just repeating the rumors, and hasn't "confirmed" anything.

Example, from the babelfish translation:
Needs to have two extra mains inputs, the power it is said can surpass 300W:

It's very strange that the person who took the pictures didn't at least pass on memory or core speeds.

Back