First Person Shooter - best recent?

hydrogen18

Limp Gawd
I've been a bit off the gaming scene for a while now(I play call of duty and NFSU) and I'm wodnering what the best recent first person shooter out is. I never really got into the whole bf1942 craze. Although I played both demos. Can I just buy bf1942 original and the vietnam expansion? Other than that, what are the most popular new releases out there?

BF: Vietnam isn't an expansion, it is its own game. If you were going to buy one or the other I would recommend Vietnam.

UT2k4. The mods alone will keep you busy for weeks. Though its' single player isnt that great. But the multiplayer is crazy fun! :D

will probaly get vietnam, I loved the demos for bf1942 it was awesome but I was a cheapskate

will check out far cry and ut2k4. thanks.

my vote is for painkiller.. i like FAST paced fps's with lots of action and this one has it and i was NEVER bored.. lots of different maps to explore and baddies to kill.. screw far cry, I get bored hiding behind rocks sniping people out

Bad_Boy said:
UT2k4. The mods alone will keep you busy for weeks. Though its' single player isnt that great. But the multiplayer is crazy fun! :D

Did anybody buy ut2k4 for the singleplayer? Exactly! :p

if you dont have BF1942, i suggest getting it then downloading Desert Combat and play it online, loads of fun!

If you like single player games then Far Cry without question. None of the others are even close.

joint operationss is supposed to be pretty good from what i hear .. features 100 person multiplayer

and now the craze seems to be vietnam games .. i guess peopel finally got sick of WWII games .. so all the companies are cranking out the nam games :rolleyes:

Techx said:
my vote is for painkiller.. i like FAST paced fps's with lots of action and this one has it and i was NEVER bored.. lots of different maps to explore and baddies to kill.. screw far cry, I get bored hiding behind rocks sniping people out

Painkiller really wasn't that great. I didn't find it terribly engrossing. I started playing Farcry through for the third time rather than play that. I eventually forced myself to finish it, but all in all the game felt too much like Doom 1 and 2. Simply limited and lacking in the depth of game play that you see in more contemporary shooters.

I will say thought the stake guns is great fun for awhile. The enemies are varied and interesting. Also the bosses are great and numerous.

So while the game didn't really capture my attention so much there were great things about it.

I've found Farcry to be an excellent game depending on how well your system can run it. Also I've had great fun with Call of Duty. While it's not real recent I just started to play it a few days ago. It's been a blast so far.

Don't listen to these people....Ive played every single game they have mentioned so far (and beat every one!), and the game to get is: CALL OF DUTY. It's game of the year for a reason. The single player rocks, and the online muliplayer has got me addicted. I never really played online multi until this game. Dude, just get it, I am willing to bet money you will not be dissappointed. Plus, almost anyone's system can run it.

Call of Duty is great, but it's far too short. I'm looking forward to farcry with my 6800 gt though :)

Farcry is good. No doubt. Call of Duty is good. Painkiller was mediocre in my opinion. UT2004 has alot of mods and theres alot of game modes to keep you busy. All in all theres good choices to be had.

I dont want CS. never had it, dont need it as I see it.

As I said, I have Call of Duty and yes it rocks.

Downloading farcry demo tonight, ut2004 has html bugs that wont let me dl the demo. And it doesnt look like bf-nam has a demo. Will probaly just ebay it tommorow, I know it is good. Sounds like I want to stay away from painkiller eh?

might as well pick up counter strike for the $10 at anyplace that sells computer games... and i second COD if u havnt played that.

For multiplayer, UT2K4 is great.

For single player, Far Cry is absolutely awesome. Get it now!

Yogi said:
For multiplayer, UT2K4 is great.

For single player, Far Cry is absolutely awesome. Get it now!
I agree with both statements. However, beware of buying Far Cry unless you are prepared to have your ass handed to you. This game is hard. I don't care what anyone may say... It is probably one of the most challenging FPS you can buy. This doesn't mean it isn't fun. I would have to say that it is the best FPS experience I've had since Half-Life, perhaps even surpasing it. Buy it! :cool:

Call of Duty
UT2004
Painkiller
and because, for better or worse, you should experience it
Far Cry

farcry
ut2k4
halo
battlefield vietnam

anyone who mentions CS in here should leave...any game that i can play on my old celeron system with a tnt2 is no "best recent" game.

Tazman2 said:
Did anybody buy ut2k4 for the singleplayer? Exactly! :p

You can play UT offline? :p

edit: err... whoops didnt see this thread had a page 2 :rolleyes:

But if you dont get it yet.... New multiplayer -> UT2004, as far as recent goes, really beats everything else to a bloody pulp. In the mood for a little mindless DM today? How about a team based shooter where you capture control points and destory the enemy base called Onsalught? How about team based missions where the defenders switch roles and have to beat you at your own game of Assault? UT2004 has it all. Going back to BF, still great and BFV is good too, this game holds its own. I cant tell you how much more gratifying it is to see your enemies home base blow to smithereens compared to the "Oh shit, we have no tickets left" anti-climatic ending to BF matches.

Farcry is also great but in a different way. Hard as hell single player, really purty, and gratifying to complete. So these are all great games and it's your choice. SP goes to farcry. Multi, well it depends, more slow paced go BFV. Edge of your seat most complete multiplayer experience... UT2004! Great year to be a computer gamer again!

acascianelli said:
farcry
ut2k4
halo
battlefield vietnam

anyone who mentions CS in here should leave...any game that i can play on my old celeron system with a tnt2 is no "best recent" game.

I suggest you try playing the newest CZ release on a tnt2/celery if that is your opinion. They have been scaling the game to what the bulk of the end users have, which is 1-2 ghz processor and MX440 or above.

Call of Duty was an excellent game, one of the very few WW2 themed games I actually enjoyed. I'm not done with Far Cry yet (almost, though), and I think it's great fun as well. I have to agree, though - Far Cry is a humbling experience - not an easy game. :D

M1ster_R0gers said:
I suggest you try playing the newest CZ release on a tnt2/celery if that is your opinion. They have been scaling the game to what the bulk of the end users have, which is 1-2 ghz processor and MX440 or above.

And, as it turns out, it's still shit.

Mark up another vote for Far Cry for single player and UT2k4 for multi. Both very good games. Don't let people discorage you from playing far cry by saying it's too difficult. I didn't it was THAT hard.

Played the farcry demo, awesome sums it up. I had to drop my resolution back to 640x480x32(could do 8x6 i think)but other than that it runs fine. Could do with more ram than my 256mb though.I will probaly buy farcry. I liked ut2k3 but the multiplayer seems to get old. I think bf-vietnam would suit me better. somehow I have to work out system upgrades in my budget too (2.53 ghz 533 on ic7-g, radeon 9500 pro, with 256mb of ram is what I have currently). Thanks alot. as for system shock 2 I think I played the demo...was interesting, but didnt warrant me buying the game.

Farcry is pretty overrated... I think most people look at the graphics and are blown away by them and not the gameplay. It's still good, just not great. Nowhere near as overrated as Halo was.

I will concede that Far Cry's storyline isn't what I would call creative, but I do like their stealth/AI awareness system they implemented. The level design is also the best I've seen in a while, IMHO. Overrated? I'm not so sure, maybe a little bit. My machine doesn't handle Far Cry's graphics as well as some, so I don't find that the visuals "blow me away." :)

kick@ss said:
Farcry is pretty overrated... I think most people look at the graphics and are blown away by them and not the gameplay. It's still good, just not great. Nowhere near as overrated as Halo was.

Maybe because it's fun as heck? the graphics were nice, but the gameplay was just as fun.

Halo was kick ass too. These are two examples of games that have "bandwagon haters" that think it's "cool" to dislike them.

don't get me wrong, you can not like it, but don't say that it's overrated because so many people in this thread likes it.

kick@ss said:

I've never understood why people say Halo is overrated. I think it's because they are thinking of it as a PC game, which is exactly what it's not really.

It was a console game that was ported to PC (how many years later?). The reason there is a lot of hype is because it's probably the best CONSOLE fps ever.

Hype is around Halo the console game, not halo the pc game.

Back