First PC Screenshots From Max Payne 3

HardOCP News

[H] News
Rockstar has released the first screenshots from the PC version of Max Payne 3. Visually the game looks good, let's just hope the game play is on par with the graphics. Linked images are 500k+ in size.

Screenshots like that always look like crap to me. Sure, the textures on the characters are very detailed ... until you look at the branches/leaves on the foliage in the background and see this nice texture on a razor thin floppy sheet that looks nothing like a branch or leaf. In my opinion, foliage has pretty much not advanced all that much in the past few years. The textures on them look more detailed but they're more often than not the same razor thin 3D models that, once turned on their side, look nothing like foliage.

Screenshots like that always look like crap to me. Sure, the textures on the characters are very detailed ... until you look at the branches/leaves on the foliage in the background and see this nice texture on a razor thin floppy sheet that looks nothing like a branch or leaf. In my opinion, foliage has pretty much not advanced all that much in the past few years. The textures on them look more detailed but they're more often than not the same razor thin 3D models that, once turned on their side, look nothing like foliage.

Yeah.. and for some reason I just don't like Rockstar and their engines.

more of the same bland grime ridden filth. Sure it's ok if the gameplay ends up being ok but I am getting sick of developers trying for the exaggerated real look.

Give me a game with a awesome stylized look anyday.

I'm surprised [H] feels the need to warn people that the images are 500K+ ...
I doubt the dial up warning is still necessary and of all websites [H] is probably the last place you'll see someone with a dial up lol

Back to subject: mehh for the screenshots...

Maybe Max can do a crossover event with Kane & Lynch now with his new look.

I know it's not out yet, but is it me or are studios not even trying anymore? The whole appeal of Max Payne was that it was a dark, comic-inspired shoot-em-up with inspiring and weird story. Yes it was the "guy who lost everything and has nothing to lose" story but the whole package was really unique for its time.

Max Payne 3 just looks like a cookie cutter brown and bloom shooter with rehashed "Oh hey rebels are doing shit, let's go stop them" storyline. Seriously, if I didn't know what this game was and saw screenshots, I would think it would be Army of 2: 4 or another Battlefield ripoff, maybe even a Just Cause game.

I mean I understand piracy is a huge problem, but making the same shitty games over and over may also be killing your business.

Just sayin'.

I know it's not out yet, but is it me or are studios not even trying anymore? The whole appeal of Max Payne was that it was a dark, comic-inspired shoot-em-up with inspiring and weird story. Yes it was the "guy who lost everything and has nothing to lose" story but the whole package was really unique for its time.
The ambiance of the first two games was really surreal, especially the first one, with the snowstorm and the sense of emptiness of the city.

The noir writing style fit it perfectly. Oh well, so much for that. This is why we can't have nice things.

In game rendered "cut scene" screens. Engine looks a little crude.

Hoping that the game play will be great.

Not sure what's up with that foliage, but the character/gun models look awesome.

I doubt the dial up warning is still necessary and of all websites [H] is probably the last place you'll see someone with a dial up lol

I think its for data limit on smart phones.

I was just going to post this after looking at those screens.

Bright colors? guy in hawaiian shirt? green foliage? that's not how I remembered max payne at all.

probably max going for an "undercover" identity. Just a guess... I too wouldn't of thought "max payne" by the look of the game alone. I didn't really watch the trailer, but heard it during commercial breaks, sounds like a generic action plot. "He build things", "got awards", etc... aaand? Maybe it's their attempt at humor?

I was just going to post this after looking at those screens.

Bright colors? guy in hawaiian shirt? green foliage? that's not how I remembered max payne at all.

Apparently he lightened up after moving to Brazil, now he's an alcoholic with guns. This game will not play or be anywhere near as good as the original two.

He moved to Brazil and became a private security guard. Apparently some of the game will be clean shaven city dwelling max again.

If Rockstar had an engined like the unreal tournament, all of their games would ROCK ;) I like playing their games, but the graphics have always played slowed on my machine.

I don't know, I'm not too impressed with the screenshots. Their using the same engine that powered GTA 4, and it really looks dated. I know it does a good job rendering large environments but for character detail it looks soo 2008.

I think the warnings are aimed to forum readers who troll the forums at work on T1 lines ;-)

Shh, don't tell.

I think the warnings are aimed to forum readers who troll the forums at work on T1 lines ;-)

Shh, don't tell.

hmmmm. like me I suppose. at least they are cool about it. my job would be tougher without access.

Without Vinny, Vlad or Mona I don't know how Max will fare in a radically alien environment! The Max we know lives in the dark corners of the downtown streets, in lonely apartments and gloomy police headquarters, I've no idea what he'll do under a tropical sun. I hope he dies this time for the sake of sanity, no more painkillers!

It would be cool if they updated the first 2 with this engine sporting the new NPC AI, physics, character and terrain models, textures, lighting, shadows, reflections, etc. Would make a hell of a triple feature game pack.

And I'm not talking a weak effort like:
Valve did it with Half Life when the Source engine for HL2 came out, but it still looked like pretty much the same old game since there obviously wasn't (m)any updates to the models and textures, really. Half Life 1:Half Assed Source Engine Edition.

Back