First OC since early 2000's have questions

Occidio

[H]ard|Gawd
I have decided I want to delve into OC my system a bit. I am going to order a new Zalman HSF in the next couple days and wanted to wrap my head around some settings.
Here is my current setup.
Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P AM3 AMD770
CPU Socket Type AM3
FSB 5200 MT/s

MEMORY
Capacity 8GB (4 x 2GB)
Speed DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666)
Cas Latency 8
Timing 8-8-8-21
Voltage 1.5V
ECC No
Buffered/Registered Unbuffered
Multi-channel Kit Dual Channel Kit

Processor
AMD X4 620 2.6ghz

Video
ATI Diamond 5870 1gig Cypress XT
PCIe 2.0
Core 850Mhz
Stream Proc 1600 stream proc
Memory clock 1200MHz (4.8Gbps)
256-bit GDDR5
RAMDAC 400MHz

I have read up a little bit but being at work kind of limits me to certain things. I want to know what I might be capable of doing. I have read some things about keeping the HT around 2000MHz and that the multiplier is probably locked at x13. What else should I be worried about and has any tried this with a somewhat similar system?

I remember the days when we were looking to buy week 52 athlon 550mhz that in reality were 750mhz and i had it overclocked to 1000mhz with the mighty Globlwin VOS 38.You could almost double the speed of the pc and boy you could draw more FPS in quake 2 and quake3,These days,i dont thing ocing is of any value wince the cpu tou are referring to is super fast,why bother with stability issues for no apparent gain at all?

Mostly I would like to see if I can get it to go near the 3ghz mark to see if I can get an discernible difference out of it. Going to 3 shouldn't really give me any stability issues. I am not looking to make a monster out of it. I would just buy a new proc for that. I just don't feel like getting a new mobo and memory just to do that.

I was messing around with some stuff last night. I have CPUID, Gigabytes' OC utility, Furmark, Prime95 and AMD Overdrive installed on the computer. Overdrive was nice to look at numbers and test the Autotune but I will no longer try to apply any settings through it. As soon as I hit apply once, it froze the machine up. I was able to test some readings on it though. Without any changes to memory settings I was able to get it to go from 2.6Ghz to 2.9Ghz. I will have to play around with some memory stuff and some voltage stuff to see if I can make it stable.

Back