first monitor (1440p/budget)

Greeley

Limp Gawd
Looking for a 1440p monitor under $500.
Prefer 27inch+
My intended use is gaming, long periods of browsing/reading text, and watching movies.

The ASUS PB278Q looks good ($459.99 on amazon)
Ive gotten mixed signals from reviews tho, some say its a great monitor for its price while others say its not that great.

Any help plz

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Since u mentioned BenQ ive been eye-ing the 32inch BL3200pt for days.
About a week ago it amazon had it in the $600s and by the time i finnished researching it/deciding i wanted it went up by about $100. My ideal size is a 32inch.

The Asus was my 2nd pick becuase i heard it was better for games/less lag? And as far as im aware asus doesnt have a 32inch version.

Do you think the BenQ 32 is worth $745?

Since u mentioned BenQ ive been eye-ing the 32inch BL3200pt for days.
About a week ago it amazon had it in the $600s and by the time i finnished researching it/deciding i wanted it went up by about $100. My ideal size is a 32inch.

The Asus was my 2nd pick becuase i heard it was better for games/less lag? And as far as im aware asus doesnt have a 32inch version.

Do you think the BenQ 32 is worth $745?

I don't think the BL3200PT is worth more than $650, and it'll probably go on sale again sometime soon. Keep in mind that the BL3200PT also has higher input lag and slower pixel response. It's still a fine choice as it uses a VA panel and has much deeper blacks and no IPS glow vs competing 27" IPS panels.

The Asus has the same input lag as every other 27" 1440p monitor, but should be ran at it's Trace 20 setting to remove overshoot; however, this causes color streaking as a result of it's poor pixel response. And for reasons cited in my previous post, the Asus should not even be considered over the BenQ BL2710PT or the AOC Q2770pqu.

Wait for the BL3200PT to drop in price if that's what you're aiming for; otherwise, pick up the BenQ BL2710PT or the AOC Q2770pqu.

Between the two BenQs w

1) which would have less strain on my eyes if i do alot of reading/computer work?
2) i dnt have a tv, which would be better for watching movies?

3) the bl3200pt has less input lag right? (Tft's review says avg total display lag of 25ms -5ms g2g = 20ms lag (2710) vs 23ms - 5.4ms = 17.6 (3200)

Im new to pc gaming so im not sure id even notice the lag

You won't notice the lag.

Will the monitor be at a typical viewing distance (2-3 feet)? If so, I think the 27" would be a better bet. The higher DPI would make text a little more clear. A 32" screen that close to your eyes can be a bit overwhelming. Of course, if you prefer bigger text to sharper text, the 32" would be better. Not saying it would be fuzzy and hard to read on the 32".

Either would be fine for watching movies. A bigger screen would be, well, bigger, obviously, but if you're sitting less than 3 feet from it, I don't know if it would matter much.

Also, some have reported some vertical banding issues on the 3200pt - there' a lot of details in the last few pages of the thread here: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1803982

I haven't had a chance to compare actual sizes but I'm sitting about 4 feet or more away .

I saw people comparing the Lg 34um95 to it. looks like it's the same height as a 27 but wider, would that help in games? Right now I'm using my integrated graphics, but I'm getting a 970 for whatever screen I get

21:9 .. It might help in some games .. and cause problems in others, where/if not properly supported. As many i play are from slightly older / classic ones, i don't want to have any too wide aspect workarounding, but as i still wanted bigger monitor, i ended up with benq 32" 1440p VA one. It most probably is out of OP specs though, as it definitely is not "budget" one and slightly more then mentioned below $500, it also may not fit very low lag requirements for competitive gaming, thus 1440p+budget of OP needs .. i'd probably would go for some korean 27" ones.

In that case i suggest you to order from place it's easily to return/exchange at/from. I am perfectly happy with mine, but some mention that banding issue and so on. Even though by human & forum natures it's way more probable for people to post problems then cases if everything is working fine (or if flaw seems minor/acceptable), thus it's hard to guesstimate how good/bad product really are just by forum thread, even more so if it's very popular model, then by big number statistics there bound to be many who find some flaws and that still wouldn't objectively say that product is bad as one cannot know how many 'good' ones were relative to that (and also one cannot compare to other monitors, as again no common user has warranty repair/exchange data for those too), but however things are to be safe then sorry i suggest ordering from with good return policies.

Last edited:
Im ordering from amazon, theyve been pretty good with me on returns and exchanges.
They had it for like $600 not too long ago, so im waiting for it to be that price again.

$645.29 with free shipping
amazon warehousedeals
Used - Very Good
Item will come repackaged. Item is pristine and without scratches. All accessories are present and undamaged.

Should I go for it?

Waited and ended up getting a new BL3200PT for $647.99+ tax.
Went with free shipping to save a few bucks

Thats a nice display. I had issues with mine making noises during transitions to different colors etc though. The contrast is much nicer than the IPS displays which makes it great for gaming especially with darker games.

So I picked free shipping because I'm cheap which is like a week and Amazon just emailed me saying I should receive my monitor tomorrow.

So $732.99 with tax and free 1 day shipping. I'm impressed.

Do I need to do anything to the monitor to set it up?

No it comes with everything... cables included. Just have to have a GPU that supports 1440p.

Back