First Leaked Benchmarks of Windows 10 on ARM Alarming

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Both Microsoft and Qualcomm has promised outstanding multi-day battery life without compromising performance, but some early leaked benchmarks found in Geekbench by Winfuture.de under the name Qualcomm CLS suggests Microsoft may not be able to deliver on this.

As can be seen from the result, when compared to a Core i3 processor the results are uninspiring, to say the least, and even when compared to Android devices running on the Snapdragon 835 the results are off, with single-core numbers in 2200 and multi-core results in 7700 normal for that processor.

Not too surprising. On any side of the mobile frontier it's commonly known that the more processes running, the quicker it'll drain the battery. The telemetry stuff alone in Windows would make this difficult to achieve. I also have to wonder about true OS to chip optimizations since I3/I5/I7 at least share some major commonalities while ARM is significantly different.

Actually an emulated single core score around half the speed of the i3 is pretty good since the ARM proc is also around half the clock speed of the i3

Native apps like Edge should be very competitive

If you want a real efficient OS, that has been running on ARM for far longer, run Linux. Seriously. Windows is, yet again, trying to play catch up. Which OS do you think had graphical GUI acceleration first? It wasn't Windows Vista...

Windows will certainly have some catching up to do in this regard. It's only natural that it won't jump to the front right off the bat.

That being said, leaked benchmarks from pre-released software may not be the best information to base anything off of.

Windows is a far more complex OS than Android. It does more and has more to manage so I don't see how it can get better battery life than Android.

Back