First, last, and only hard drive I'm ordering from newegg

OmegaAvenger

2[H]4U
I'm always avoided hard drives from newegg because I've heard of horrible shipping. Low and behold the hard drive I order from new egg comes in the OEM plastic with 1 layer of bubble wrap and enough packing peanuts to ALMOST fill the box.

This is a far cry from ZZFS solid styrofoam packing inside of brown paper or frys.com plastic suspended shock absorbant packing.

Anyway, I was ordering some parts for a computer we were building at work. All of the parts work, and the hard drive finally arrived yesterday. So I put it in and windows, and all of the updates and apps from our PXE server install fine.

However. any game or app from that point on throws me a CRC error.
Now this is odd because I know the PXE stuff hasn't been updated in 2 weeks, so its not a new app causing issues.

I have tried fallout 3 (on cd), the F.E.A.R. 2 Demo and 1-2 other demos I downloaded at home to my flash drive (after testing them on my home pc).

I checked the Event Viewer and..... HDD 0 (the only hdd in the system) which is the samsung 500gb hdd I ordered has a bad block!!

So im running the hard drive diagnostics right now to see what it tells me and I may try a reinstall of windows

However it seems the one time I decide to give newegg the benifit of the doubt, I get shafted. yay. Now I get to explain to my boss why our shiny new gaming pc we were gonna sell is gonna take longer due to an RMA i'm gonna have to request.

Edit: yay... 56 errors and counting (less than a minute after I clicked submit) and its clicking too.

I'd say that playing soccer with the package by whoever handled the package probably didn't help either. Sucks to hear you had such a bad experience :(

I've ordered 6 different HDs from NE and never had a problem.

My NE experience with HDD's is about 50%. I ordered 4 80GB's for a build- 1 DOA. My last bunch, 3 1TB's and a WD 640, 2 of the 1TB's DOA. They've been very quick on replacements, though.

My HDD from Newegg was at the side of the package but had 4 layers of bubble wrap on it.

I order from Newegg all the time. Of the dozens of drives I've ordered I had one cheap 500 GB Maxtor drive that came DOA. The other two that came in the same package are still working fine (its been over a year).

My drives always come wrapped in a few layers of thick bubble wrap and lots of peanuts. I suspect that most people's problems are due to UPS playing football with packages and not Newegg's packaging.

Ive ordered many drives from newegg and have NEVER got a bad drive...knocking on wood

I ordered 3 1TB WD GP drives from ZZF a few months ago and 1 was DOA. It happens. They can only do so much testing at the factory.

Most drives that are going to fail do it in the first few months anyway. That's why they have warranties I guess. :rolleyes:

Don

I wish NewEgg would go back to FedEx for the default cheap shipping.

LanboxLite case was shipped in it's retail box with just a label stuck to it and the box came destroyed. The case itself, somehow made it ok, the UPS guy drops it off in some odd box with a taped on chunk of the original boxed containing the shipping label.

Just last week I got a box from them with a MB, CPU, RAM, PSU, etc, and one side of the box was so beat up. It looked like it spent a few days stuck on the conveyor being burned in or something.

UPS's problem is the fact that they have all ranges of packages... everything from our fragile stuff to boxes of machined parts that weigh in at a 100lbs and more. Our fragile stuff just gets the shit beat out of it.

I suspect that most people's problems are due to UPS playing football with packages and not Newegg's packaging.

It's well known that shippers aren't particularly careful with packages. Everyone here knows it, Amazon knows it, and ZipZoomFly knows it. NewEgg must know it as well, yet they don't pack their drives to survive shipping. Yeah, you could blame FedEx, UPS, or USPS, but it makes more sense to me to blame whoever used insufficient packing to survive the known hazards of shipping. Of course, I may be bitter. My drive from NewEgg died on me while I was making a backup. Fortunately, I only lost about 35GB out of 700GB, but I'm still not thrilled about a drive less than 3 months old dying on me.

My new drives are from Amazon. They were packed well enough that I could have thrown them off my roof and not been worried.

My e-tailer (Alternate.nl) packages everything into a box and fills it up with self-expanding foam shapes or airbags. HDDs are placed into these plastic boxes which have bulges all around it. I have never had any issues with this method of packaging, although I must admit that the shipping companies here in the Netherlands rarely if ever damage a package. I would almost say that you could let them transport a fishbowl in a box, filled with water, and have it arrive at its destination without even spilling a drop of water :) Just add a 'Keep This Side Up!' warning ;)

I've never, EVER had a problem with New Egg shipping. It might not be how WE would like them
to ship, but it is normally sufficient for what they are sending, UPS is probably the problem.
Please lay blame where it is supposed to be laid. I am sure New Egg is not
in the business of loosing money by sending out items that may be damaged by their shipping.

Have never received anything in this condition with newegg, dealing with them as long as they've been around. I think you're exaggerating.

I order from Newegg all the time. Of the dozens of drives I've ordered I had one cheap 500 GB Maxtor drive that came DOA. The other two that came in the same package are still working fine (its been over a year).

My drives always come wrapped in a few layers of thick bubble wrap and lots of peanuts. I suspect that most people's problems are due to UPS playing football with packages and not Newegg's packaging.

UPS requires that all packages that go through them are able to survive a 6 ft drop to all 8 corners. If the box cannot do that, which most of the Newegg hard drive packages cannot, then it is not packaged correctly. No hard drive companies allow drives to be shipped to them in bubble wrap, they all require a hard drive shipper. Newegg should be using proper packaging, and that's really all there is to it.

I just got 2 drives from newegg. Both were OEM and wrapped in a few layers of bubble wrap with some wadded up brown paper in the box to fill the rest.

I have no issues with either drive. Both work great. I have always purchased my drives from newegg and I have at least 14 here that I am currently using. No issues at all.

UPS requires that all packages that go through them are able to survive a 6 ft drop to all 8 corners. If the box cannot do that, which most of the Newegg hard drive packages cannot, then it is not packaged correctly. No hard drive companies allow drives to be shipped to them in bubble wrap, they all require a hard drive shipper. Newegg should be using proper packaging, and that's really all there is to it.

A few layers of bubble wrap plus peanuts/paper is plenty.

The drives are off and the heads are parked. With Newegg's bubble wrap & peanuts packaging its going to take a lot more than a 6 ft drop to screw up a drive.

Now that I think about it it would be interesting to see some data of drive DOA rates from ZZF/Newegg/etc. Shipping/packaging might actually have very little impact on the number of DOA drives.

I go out of my way and sometimes even pay extra to avoid buying HDD's from newegg.

I have not any drive I purchased from them last more then 1 year before RMA.

I ordered an OEM 640gb AALS a few weeks ago from the egg. The packaging was kind of crappy, just 1 cover of bubble wrap and a few peanuts, so the drive was obviously moving a lot in there. Low and behold, the drive started to give Bad Sectors after only a few days of use. :confused: I wonder if the story had been different if the drive came with proper packaging. I mean is a f.... hard drive, the most important thing on a system. The egg is making MILLIONS by the minute, so WTF is going on?!?!?!? :eek::eek::eek::eek:

No offense, but when a hard drive is off, and the heads are parked, as long as the physical mechanics of the drive are in proper working order, shaking the drive, dropping the drive, or even drop-kicking it the length of a football field will not cause bad sectors. Sorry, that's just how it goes. The damned things are designed to handle 100G forces when they're not in operation, so...

I would bet every piece of computer and consumer electronics equipment that the drive was simply defective before the OP even got it. Even if an "Ace Ventura" style UPS delivery man decided to imitate Pele's entire soccer career from his truck to your door, you simply would not have the kinds of problems you're having. The drive itself would be totally dead if that happened, and as it's functional but with apparent bad sectors, it wasn't the delivery method, I assure you.

I've had people that don't believe drives are that tough before, and I've pulled the drives from my laptop and thrown 'em at a wall in front of those people, then went and picked it up, put it in and ran a full manufacturer's diagnostic on the drives and they come up clean. The trick was I let the drive completely spin down before I tossed 'em... when the heads are parked, they're solid.

As I said, I'm confident the drive was defective before the OP even got it, it's been a trend of late to have defective hardware from most any manufacturer. While I myself haven't had such issues (haven't bought a "new" drive in 2+ years, the old ones work fine, and I simply don't need hundreds of gigs of space, that's what DVD backups are for in my situation), I do know a lot of folk that are buying "new" drives and ending up having problems with 'em, even brand new in the retail boxes that turn up with bad sectors and S.M.A.R.T. warnings galore.

But... unless someone took that drive in the box from Newegg and literally dropped a sledgehammer on it, the chances of even very rough delivery causing the issues the OP is having are between effectively null and void...

And yes, I have had customers order drives that I picked out for them from Newegg for replacements and factory restores, multiple ones, and yes the packaging is fairly lackluster but, not one of dozens has ever given me an issue with passing the manufacturer's diagnostic with a full surface scan.

YMMV, as always...

Lets think about it this way, what makes us think that Newegg gets these HDDs delivered to them by angels coming down on clouds?

It's a loooong process, if anyone's playing Soccer, it didn't start with Newegg and UPS.

No offense, but when a hard drive is off, and the heads are parked, as long as the physical mechanics of the drive are in proper working order, shaking the drive, dropping the drive, or even drop-kicking it the length of a football field will not cause bad sectors. Sorry, that's just how it goes. The damned things are designed to handle 100G forces when they're not in operation, so...

I would bet every piece of computer and consumer electronics equipment that the drive was simply defective before the OP even got it. Even if an "Ace Ventura" style UPS delivery man decided to imitate Pele's entire soccer career from his truck to your door, you simply would not have the kinds of problems you're having. The drive itself would be totally dead if that happened, and as it's functional but with apparent bad sectors, it wasn't the delivery method, I assure you.

I've had people that don't believe drives are that tough before, and I've pulled the drives from my laptop and thrown 'em at a wall in front of those people, then went and picked it up, put it in and ran a full manufacturer's diagnostic on the drives and they come up clean. The trick was I let the drive completely spin down before I tossed 'em... when the heads are parked, they're solid.

As I said, I'm confident the drive was defective before the OP even got it, it's been a trend of late to have defective hardware from most any manufacturer. While I myself haven't had such issues (haven't bought a "new" drive in 2+ years, the old ones work fine, and I simply don't need hundreds of gigs of space, that's what DVD backups are for in my situation), I do know a lot of folk that are buying "new" drives and ending up having problems with 'em, even brand new in the retail boxes that turn up with bad sectors and S.M.A.R.T. warnings galore.

But... unless someone took that drive in the box from Newegg and literally dropped a sledgehammer on it, the chances of even very rough delivery causing the issues the OP is having are between effectively null and void...

And yes, I have had customers order drives that I picked out for them from Newegg for replacements and factory restores, multiple ones, and yes the packaging is fairly lackluster but, not one of dozens has ever given me an issue with passing the manufacturer's diagnostic with a full surface scan.

YMMV, as always...

Joe I always used to think that too when I read these post.
Then when I started buying lots of hard drive from newegg because of their good prices I found myself in a similar situation.
Now I know hard drives when not in use are designed to withstand being dropped and whatnot, but what I can shake is that drives that I have bought from newegg dont last like they should, and I dont have that problem from other retailers.
All my drives that I have had issues with lately have one thing in common. NEWEGG. Even used drives I got off ebay are working away 24\7.

So for me its no more newegg.

Damn! this guy Joe is a tuff cookie...:D...It's ok, I can handle it.

I still would like to get my computers orders well packaged ALL the time. I'm pretty sure if I was a big company ordering 500+ hard drives they not gonna be packaged like that. :( Newegg, don't forget we, the little people, made you. ;)

I'm gonna bet that Newegg is simply getting their drives from someone or some distributor that's simply giving them a shitload of bad product, that's my best educated guess. Yes, as I said their packaging really needs work and I for one would be more than willing to sign a petition asking politely that Newegg do SOMETHING about their rather lame packaging methods for shipping. I think that's a worthwhile petition...

But, to flat out blame the shipping on all the problems, I don't buy it, I just don't (no pun intended). Bad sectors cannot be caused by shaking a drive up - bad sectors are caused by uneven coatings on the surfaces of the platters, and that is a manufacturing defect not a shipping one.

If the heads became unparked in transit or by being jostled around, the damage that would be caused would be a head crash - the heads physically come into contact with the surface of the platters in such instances and render the drive effectively inoperable. Once the heads are sheared in that way, they simply don't function any longer for read or write operations at all.

So the fact that the OP has a powered up drive and can run diagnostics on it tells me it's functional and has bad sectors - a manufacturing problem.

This doesn't smack me of shipping issues... as I said.

I know the feeling I bought some ram from newegg and they sent it to me in a bag, you know the ones with a little bit of bubble wrap. There was just no protection. Needless to say it didn't work. Ive bought several OEM drives from them and never had an issue.

My standard of packaging, is the standard of packaging required at all times in all stages of shipment and sale by the manufacturer.
You can reference the manufacturer websites. None of the methods used by Newegg are compliant, and disclosure of these shipping methods to the manufacturer can, will, and does result in an immediate irrevocable termination of all warranties expressed or implied, under the abuse and rough handling clauses.

Don't like the facts? I don't care. That's why they're called facts. You can reference any manufacturer website you like. At this point, I report every post of Newegg's slipshod warranty-voiding shipping to the various manufacturer Revenue Protection Departments.

If you receive an improperly packed hard drive from ANY vendor, you shouldn't even plug it in. If the box is clearly improper or clearly damaged, you should refuse delivery and immediately contact the vendor's customer service department to report the shipping claim. If you open it and it turns out to be improperly packaged, immediately call the vendor's customer service department and demand an exchange at no cost, as they voided the warranty on a product you paid for with improper shipping.

I've ordered over 100 drives from Newegg and they used to be great. Lately packaging is getting worse, had first DOA a couple of months ago.

I have 2 WD 320's, a WD (120 I think) and 2 80's in 2 different machines. All purchased from Newegg, no problems yet. I just ordered a WD 160 and 2 Seagate 1.5TB drives from them. I'm a little concerned about the Seagates with the recent firware issues, (not newegg's issue) but newegg hasn't let me down yet. I'll let you know what the packaging is like when I get them.

SR

Ive ordered TONS from newegg. The last time I ordered a drive form them it came in a plastic clamshell with a little wadded up kraft in the box. I could literally hear the drive banging around niside the box. The drive did function okay though.

I sent an email to the egg and got a response liek " Thanks for your input, your opinions are valuable" or some crap.

Like I said, it was the last drive I bought from them.

Bit of a known issue. I ordered a 1.5tb drive from them, it was clicking out of the box, I paid 9 bucks to have UPS ship it back.

The replacement drive came packaged the same poor way, and I had over 300 unrecoverable sectors according to S.M.A.R.T. I paid another 9 bucks, but this time, it went back for a refund. :rolleyes:

I've sworn off Newegg for hard drives as well as Maxtor for a good long while. I don't know exactly who's the blame, but I don't trust either of them right now.

In the past few months I have ordered 9 drives from Newegg of the following shipping/manu. pattern:

1x Seagate 1TB (shipped w/o other items)
2x Samsung 1TB / 1x WD 640GB (these were bought as a set with other equipment, not shipped solo)
5x Samsung 1TB (shipped w/o other items)

6 of the 7 Samsung are useless. 2 with AJ26 code errors (0-33% bad) the rest with AJ24 or simply hundreds of bad sectors.
No explanation seems all that plausible, really. Are Samsung drives DOA at a rate of 6/7? Seems unlikely. Is the packaging so awful 2/3 of shipments are broken? I don't know. I do know that I am weary of ordering hard drives from anyone.
Maybe it is time to return to B&M for drives. The prices and top-end availability are crap but at least I don't need to waste time and energy playing mail-the-hard drive for weeks. Even if the problem is the manufacturers (every manufacturer?) B&M puts my mind at ease. Now if only I didn't live in Germany..

In the past few months I have ordered 9 drives from Newegg of the following shipping/manu. pattern:

1x Seagate 1TB (shipped w/o other items)
2x Samsung 1TB / 1x WD 640GB (these were bought as a set with other equipment, not shipped solo)
5x Samsung 1TB (shipped w/o other items)

6 of the 7 Samsung are useless. 2 with AJ26 code errors (0-33% bad) the rest with AJ24 or simply hundreds of bad sectors.
No explanation seems all that plausible, really. Are Samsung drives DOA at a rate of 6/7? Seems unlikely. Is the packaging so awful 2/3 of shipments are broken? I don't know. I do know that I am weary of ordering hard drives from anyone.
Maybe it is time to return to B&M for drives. The prices and top-end availability are crap but at least I don't need to waste time and energy playing mail-the-hard drive for weeks. Even if the problem is the manufacturers (every manufacturer?) B&M puts my mind at ease. Now if only I didn't live in Germany..

tell ya the truth I've never bought a samsung drive but I would also never even consider it. WD/seagate is all I buy.

Just received a Western Digital that I ordered from Dell. The packaging was quite good. A smaller box placed into a larger box and surrounded by brown construction paper. Inside the small box are two special plastic moldings which hold the hard drive fixed directly in the middle of the box.

B&M items have to be shipped to the stores too. I suggest you all drive directly to the manufacturer and pick up your items hot off the press.

Larger B&M chains don't receive single units that get tossed around on a conveyors and left out on the tarmac.

Their distribution centers get the items in pallet quantities which they then break down and send out to stores in shipping containers with their own trucks.

The problem here in my opinion is UPS. UPS handles packages by hand that weigh hundreds of pounds along with our fragile shit from NewEgg. Those heavy boxes rest on ours and get thumped on them, etc.

FedEx doesn't seem to have the same huge range of packages.

IIRC the two 1.5Tb Seagates I just got (from TD) said >300G (and change) and the warranty is voided. If my math is right that's 9,655 feet per second of acceleration. Impressive.

Still, I won't be ordering HDDs from Tiger Direct (which I went with after hearing complaints about newegg.) Their packaging consisted of the packing slip, the TD catalog and a ~24" square piece of brown paper wadded up a little bit. The HDDs themselves were enclosed in molded plastic casing. The drives are find but anyone that packages their items that shitty isn't getting my business.

For the record, my UPS packages have always arrived in pristine condition. Same with FedEx.

having worked at UPS and FeDx I can tell you that there really isn't much difference between the two. I don't know where much of this misinformation comes from but such is the internet. In most centers they have small packages go on belts and large packages manually moved on karts or other means in both UPS and Fedex but this can very depending on location.

The thing is that all UPS Hub, Centers, and local sorts are different. The UPS hub in Chicago is almost entirely electronic where others are almost entirely manual. So for the People that are saying UPS>FEDex or FEDex>UPS it only olds true in your area. If you are getting a constant flow of bad handled packages you probably have poorly operated center. Also living in a big city next to a hub will result in a better package because it has to travel less places. When I buy from newegg it goes from California to phoenix most of the time and are always in perfect condition but sometime they come from Tennessee and go from Tennessee, to Arkansas to Colorado to New Mexico to Texas to Arizona which I get a more handled package.

Most of the time large vendors ship all their boxes at the same time which means that they arrive at ups at the same time. When the loaders get a huge shipment of the same kind of boxes ie newegg, amazon, or what ever they usually all get loaded together and very neat and well handled because they are all about the same box and are easy to load.

I terms of packaging I have never received a poorly packaged package from any vendor including people from Ebay so I guess I might just be lucky and I live close to a hub so my boxes usually come in good repair.

having worked at UPS and FeDx I can tell you that there really isn't much difference between the two. I don't know where much of this misinformation comes from but such is the internet. In most centers they have small packages go on belts and large packages manually moved on karts or other means in both UPS and Fedex but this can very depending on location.

The thing is that all UPS Hub, Centers, and local sorts are different. The UPS hub in Chicago is almost entirely electronic where others are almost entirely manual. So for the People that are saying UPS>FEDex or FEDex>UPS it only olds true in your area. If you are getting a constant flow of bad handled packages you probably have poorly operated center. Also living in a big city next to a hub will result in a better package because it has to travel less places. When I buy from newegg it goes from California to phoenix most of the time and are always in perfect condition but sometime they come from Tennessee and go from Tennessee, to Arkansas to Colorado to New Mexico to Texas to Arizona which I get a more handled package.

So... Do you know any shortcuts for people to complain about their hub so changes can be made? Or are they stuck with what they have?

Back