First Laptop

Smoothlegs

n00b
I have wanted one for about 3 years at least. I have shopped and prices have always
been too high for me but I found one that really catches my eye.

It's a SONY VAIO F Series VPCF13QFX/B NoteBook Intel Core i7 740QM(1.73GHz) 16.4" 4GB Memory DDR3 1333 320GB HDD 5400rpm DVD Super Multi NVIDIA GeForce GT 425M

I have a pc for gaming but I am thinking this would also play some games.

Since I have never owned or bought a laptop before I thought maybe I would ask

if there is anything I should consider before making the purchase. Thanks in advance.

The first thing I do when buying a new laptop is establish my price point. Since you've already done that, my next step would be to look at what you want to do.
Is this going to compliment or replace your desktop?
Are you going to be taking this away from the wall for a long time or can you be near a plug (a.k.a do you need decent battery life)?
Are you going to be taking it a lot of places, or just around the house?
Is size a factor in your purchase? Do you want something small or with a large screen?

The laptop you've posted is really nice, but doesn't seem all too portable. If you've got a desktop for gaming (and I assume regular computer stuff as well), then I don't see it being ideal. But then I don't really know a whole lot about your situation.

I guess it really all comes down to, what do you want to do with it?

I would say its overkill for complementing a desktop, for replacing thats another story........Whats your intention to do? Use in class?(if so....this will suck much better bat life else where).

Good questions. Here are some answers.

I won't be away from the wall too long

I am not replacing my pc but I do take trips and have missed my pc

I wanted something multi-functional so that if I wanted to play a game

it wouldn't be out of the question. If I ran into a problem with my pc I could use

a laptop to investigate the solution. I can take it with me when staying with a friend. I could use it to watch a movie or video while on the treadmill ...my iphone is doing that job atm.

If I was replacing my pc I would probably

go with the Alienware laptop that I drooled over in the advert earlier today that

cost $800. more than the one I am looking at. LOL

Well I ordered the laptop ....I considered briefly an Alienware laptop ....to be honest

it was the size of the screen that made me decide against it. The price was good

the specs were good but the screen size was 15". so I ordered the one from Newegg

and should be getting it monday. I appreciate the feedback. Thanks :)

The specs are certainly right. Just remember, the VAIO F is more of a desktop replacement, and it'll feel that way both in the size and the performance.

Back