First Impressions Thread

t1337duder

Gawd
I didn't see a thread for this, so I'm putting my first impressions here and inviting others to share their first impressions as well.

- Initial Steam setup process kept failing for me. A little research revealed it doesn't play well with 5.0 Ghz Wifi during initial setup. Manually set it to 2.4 on my router, reset my Deck a few times, and it finally worked. I could imagine a bug like this causing people headaches.

- This device is made for faster internet connections. I'm in queue for Starlink (eta: 2023+) and live rurally with 25mbps internet. Doing anything takes ages. My premeditated solution was putting all my desired Steam Deck games onto my NAS and then copying it from there onto my Deck. This way it only took 20 minutes to put Elden Ring on my Deck. Unfortunately once the existing files were detected by Steam, it needs to download additional files for Proton or Linux, and then it needs to download controller configurations after that. You'd think that stuff would be quick but it adds an additional 10 minutes to each game I want to install due to my slow internet.

- The device performance is impressive. It can easily play (most) games that weren't made in the last couple years at highest settings. My first test game was Black Mesa, which isn't Steam Deck verified, but played very nicely at highest settings nonetheless. Arkham Knight runs well at max settings and looks breathtaking for a handheld title.

- This device is a tweaker's dream, particularly if you know your way around Linux. Yet even just in the Steam OS, a single button press brings up a menu that let's you adjust power usage as well as GPU clocks. This will confuse newbies but leaves a lot of flexibility in the hands of people who know how to use these settings, giving people the option to optimize the Deck's power and battery life on a per-game basis. This type of feature alone makes puts this device in a much different class than the Nintendo Switch.

- Compatability with old PC titles is impressive. I hopped into Max Payne 2 (was surprised to see Proton emulate the configuration launcher) and it played perfectly. The Steam controller's community configuration archive laid groundwork for this portable console as the emulated Steam Deck controls worked perfectly out of the gate, even with gyro aiming (which is a treat to use). Even non-Steam games I tested worked well, which exceeded my expectations.

- The joysticks are touch-sensitive, which allows you to add gyro aiming to games where you primarily use the joystick (also works well for FPS).

- My screen has light bleed at the bottom of my screen, which can be noticeable on dark content. My left joystick has an unpleasant "roughness" when the stick rubs along the top edge when pushing it forward and moving it left and right. Having scanned Reddit and discussions here for the last couple weeks, there appears to be no shortage of minor issues which indicates the QC is what I'd describe as "B grade". My experience returning items with B-grade QC is that you are likely to receive another item with a different minor flaw (e.g. similar to playing the panel lottery for certain high end displays). For this reason, I think I will keep my Deck despite these minor flaws.

- The fan noise has yet to bother me, and more often than not you can keep it quiet using per-game performance profiles if you felt inclined.

My overall impression is that this is a game-changing portable device, but only if you are willing to put forward the time and patience to properly set up and get working. For people who get off on that type of deal, the possibilities are truly endless for this device. It's no less than a satisfying culmination of all of Valve's prior successes and failures. Some aspects of the hardware leave a bit to be desired, but the open-ended software of the device gives users options to tune the device to their needs. The fact that it's not reliant on Apple or Microsoft makes it all the sweeter.

Thanks for reading and hopefully sharing.

I've had my deck for almost 2 weeks now and it's amazing. I don't have any of the defects you mentioned regarding light bleed or rough spots on the sticks.

So far everything I've tried works, only minor annoyances are on the games monstrum and prey, the original. On both it states they're deck verified but on monstrum it doesn't work, no matter what I do for the controls. I can just look around and that's it. On prey it works but sprites are just black squares.

Doom from 2016 runs great on ultra settings (but shadows at high) and it's a consistent 60+ fps.

I just got mine today, haven't had much time with it but I like the feel of it a lot. Feels sturdy without feeling overly heavy. I think I'm going to like it. Wanna get some emulators on there.

I just got mine today, haven't had much time with it but I like the feel of it a lot. Feels sturdy without feeling overly heavy. I think I'm going to like it. Wanna get some emulators on there.
EmuDeck is pretty sweet for a quick all-in-one emulator setup for the Deck. Integrates your emulated games into your Steam game list with artwork and all so you can keep the "streamlined" game mode experience.

EmuDeck is pretty sweet for a quick all-in-one emulator setup for the Deck. Integrates your emulated games into your Steam game list with artwork and all so you can keep the "streamlined" game mode experience.
Yep, I just got that installed today, seems easy to use.

Just got my deck and have been messing around with it. First game I installed was a simple 2d game, Unto the End. Plays well on the deck. I am trying to get my GoG version of Control Ultimate installed now, but dam is it slow. I have it over wifi and I am max out at just over 4MB/s over sftp. 1h 45m left :(. Doesn't look like there is a way to transfer via a direct SteamDeck to PC via USB-C. So I canceled the transfer, I think SSH has too much overhead because steam itself downloads at 60MB/s (now attempting Spider-man).

Edit: Warpinator is much better than sftp. Transfering the installed version of Control Ultimate Edition (GoG) and it is going at 54MB/s. :)

Looks like raytracing is disabled on the Deck for Spider-man. The sync feature between desktop and deck is really nice also.

Last edited:
Yeah, I use Warpinator - works well, though sometimes it seems to depend on which device you start the service on first whether or not it will pick up the Deck on my PC.

Yeah, I use Warpinator - works well, though sometimes it seems to depend on which device you start the service on first whether or not it will pick up the Deck on my PC.
I haven't heard of Warpinator. Is there any advantage to using that instead an SMB share?

If you have issues with some games you might also want to install ProtonGE. I just had an issue with Technomancer as I was trying out streaming from the Deck to my PC and it was just locking up at one area. So I installed ProtonGE and now everything seems to work. It's pretty funny that Technomancer can't run on my 3970x because it has too many cores but runs fine on the deck with proton.

Streaming games works nice both ways, PC to Deck and Deck to PC. You only have to turn off HDR when going PC to Deck as it can cause issues of nothing showing up on the deck screen.

Ergonomically though I feel the deck is not so great. When compared to say the PS5 Dual Sense controller, the Deck is pretty uncomfortable for longer gaming sessions. It feels as though it stresses my thumbs and wrists more than usual. That said, I still love the Deck.

Back