First hole cut with dremel, pics

Eric1285

[H]ard|Gawd
Got my dremel a few days ago, and this is the first hole I've cut. It's a 120mm side intake hole. Gonna put an Evercool aluminum fan in there, 84 CFM, 31dBa. As you can see, I slipped and went a bit too far with the dremel in two or three places, but overall, I think it turned out okay. With the fan grill on, no one will be able to tell I slipped. The pics are right after I cut it. I've since used some rubbing compound to take out the smaller scratches, so it looks a lot cleaner. All that remains are the big scratches.

PICT0074.JPG

PICT0075.JPG

PICT0076.JPG

post pics after u put a fan + fan grill on
i think it would look real nice

Yeah, I will. Unfortunately, I bought machine screws that I thought were too long. I guess I forgot to factor in the thickness of the window and the fan grill. I cut them too short (dremel trigger finger happy) and I have no way to mount them until tomorrow.

next time lay masking tape before you cut you wont beleive how much it helps slippage and you might of only scrapped tape insteasd of plexi.

I did use masking tape. I don't mean slippage...I mean like I went too far in a straight line. I used two layers of masking tape, so I never once cut the plexy because of slippage like that. The scratches you see were mostly taken off by the rubbing compound anyways.

dremal is alot like cs, insted of pushing down, go tap tap tap on the dremal (or mouse in cs)

Originally posted by Morphes
dremal is alot like cs, insted of pushing down, go tap tap tap on the dremal (or mouse in cs)

Haha, yeah, I read a tutorial before I did it. I ended up going around 4-5 times. First time just to trace where i wanted (that's when I made a few boo boos) and the the other times to make deeper grooves, and then on the last time i just let the dremel push itself around, and cut it out.

Originally posted by Eric1285
(dremel trigger finger happy)

Yep your dremel trigger sure is finger happy... But anyway, looks great. Much more clean than my first work with a dremel.

I used a regular, non reinforced cutting discs. They're the bread and butter ones that you get like 10 of in the included accessories.

I installed the fan today. My screw holes were a bit crooked, so the fan isn't perfectly square, but I can fix that if I were so inclined. I'm happy with it though.

PICT0081.JPG

(Sorry for the blurry pic, camera's too small to hold real steady in my huge hands)

Back