First hand experience with latest mbp?

elvis1

Weaksauce
Hey guys I'm considering to buy the mbp wirh 15" and 32gb of ram

One of the things that sets me back is reading those horror stories of people getting their legs burnt, the mbp being underclocked and so on.

As a friend of mine will bring in down to Latin America I need to be sure it does not have either issues with cooling itself or burning my legs as some have reported

Appreciate your input

Well my concern would be the keyboard and the screen flex-cable issues. The keyboard seems to be the most unreliable part: it is not whether if it will break, but when. The entire laptop top deck has to be replaced if that happens.

I went with an HP ZBook instead. No regrets. Good luck with the purchase.

2018's have internal keyboard dust covers (membranes) that the previous touchbar MBPs didn't. It's mostly mitigated. The display issue is a real issue though. If it turns out to be a guaranteed problem moving forward then it makes it a tough buy.
I would say the hardest thing about buying now is if you want to wait and see what comes up in June. Which of course means waiting, but this might be the year of Intel 10nm (which in theory will have the biggest Intel CPU gains since Sandy Bridge) and likely another bump to the APU.

If you're not going to wait, I'd say the biggest upgrade you can do to the system is moving to Vega 20. It has shown the most improvement in the largest amount of apps (that utilize GPU power of course). Past that, only get the 32GB of RAM if you're using apps that will actually utilize it, or I guess if you have money to burn. For video editing as an example, the Vega 20 makes a much bigger improvement than 32GB of RAM. Base level processor is fine, but you'll be forced to the 2.6GHz i7 if you want Vega 20.

Never seen or heard of someone actually burning their legs, but alright. I will say that it will likely get uncomfortably hot on your legs. But I also wouldn't place a laptop on them to begin with unless I absolutely had to (I had a deadline to meet once and I did an edit on subways, but that wasn't what I would call ideal).

Edit: Grammar

Last edited:
what he said^^ and make sure they are only using it indoors with aircon

Its beautiful but thermal throttle takes away from of the performance. If you don't REALLY need 32gb an older model for a lot less might be something you consider also.

Its beautiful but thermal throttle takes away from of the performance. If you don't REALLY need 32gb an older model for a lot less might be something you consider also.

I disagree. The big reason to be on the 2018 model is for the Coffee Lake hex core and Vega 20. Both are massive improvements over even a 2017 model. The Hex Core shows something like a 40% improvement in a lot of video apps vs 2017's with roughly the same frequency. And the Vega 20 is roughly 30% faster than the 560X. 32GB of RAM matters to some, but I would say it's not the big reasons in comparison to the CPU and GPU improvements.

There are a few other things too, like the QOL improvements to the keyboard. Truetone display. T2 chip for extra security and Siri. But that's all icing.

If you need performance, than the 2018 has notable differences. The big reason to go into 2017 or before is because you need to save money. Which is totally valid, but this generation has a bigger leap in performance than probably the last 3-4 gens combined.

The keyboard sucks, it gets really hot and its not worth the price, but its a nice laptop. Excel heated it up like crazy.

The display issue is a real issue though.
I'll review that

I would say the hardest thing about buying now is if you want to wait and see what comes up in June. Which of course means waiting, but this might be the year of Intel 10nm (which in theory will have the biggest Intel CPU gains since Sandy Bridge) and likely another bump to the APU.

Sad as I'll need it to be purchased prior to May . No video editing here. Just Xcode and such. not willing to take it out in my back pack that much as soon as someone sees the apple logo ( no matter how old the product is ) it could lead into serious trouble

about temps :
it started at being throttled and then iy had been said to have some driver updates

what he said^^ and make sure they are only using it indoors with aircon

Yep

Which is totally valid, but this generation has a bigger leap in performance than probably the last 3-4 gens combined.

Much appreciated it

The keyboard sucks, it gets really hot and its not worth the price, but its a nice laptop. Excel heated it up like crazy.

Eek thanks for your input

I could address everything point by point, but most of this stuff has run its course.

Sad as I'll need it to be purchased prior to May . No video editing here. Just Xcode and such. not willing to take it out in my back pack that much as soon as someone sees the apple logo ( no matter how old the product is ) it could lead into serious trouble

I brought up video editing repeatedly for two reasons. 1.) because that is my field of expertise. 2.) Video editing is one of the most intensive tasks you can have a computer do. It tests all subsystems often simultaneously (CPU, GPU, HDD transfer speeds, RAM), and stresses them to a large degree. 4k compressed video can bring a lot of computers to their knees during editing. Let alone 4k RAW or 8K compressed or RAW. I think the only more intense workload that tests everything is perhaps rendering of a very complex scene.

If you're not doing tasks that are as intensive, like your purchase being a coding machine, you may consider alternative options. Honestly the new MBA might be a better choice. Save your back, have much better portability, save some money, and you won't have heat issues. Alternatively, in your case it might be worth getting an older used machine and saving the money.

If you're concerned about other people's gawking eyes, a simple full skin or shell case will get you there.

about temps :
it started at being throttled and then iy had been said to have some driver updates

Apple released an update which helped with temps and thermal throttling. But it didn't magically fix everything. In all honesty this is definitely a case of putting too much power (hence heat) into too small of a package without good enough thermal dissipation. Which is why the base level i7 is fine for this machine, because the speed improvements aren't noticeable enough due to throttling.

You won't burn your legs, it will be uncomfortably hot like I said though.

I will say this: realize who your sources are on Youtube (are they just creating drama for clicks?). It's not as bad as the haters are saying it is. But thermal throttling is real. If you know what you're getting yourself into you won't have a problem. I doubt you'll run into any of these thermal issues just coding, but then that why I referred you to my above comment of perhaps looking at an MBA instead.

Last edited:
Do you have an Apple store near you?

Not a single official one.
Closest may be 10 thousand kilometers North.
I've ordered the i9 version with 32gb.

Edit

This is a long term investment and I'm quite sure I won't use as much resources as it has, even when throttled.

Last edited:
Not a single official one.
Closest may be 10 thousand kilometers North.
I've ordered the i9 version with 32gb.

Edit

This is a long term investment and I'm quite sure I won't use as much resources as it has, even when throttled.

If you can cancel or return your order, I’m might consider doing so. Apple will likely release a new model in June. And if they don’t they will release a new model with near 100% likelihood by October (September being the next most likely time).

Just advising you as it always feels bad to pay full price just before a refresh.

I wish they updated the non-touchbar MBP with new CPUs. Would have immediately ordered an upgraded version.

I wish they updated the non-touchbar MBP with new CPUs. Would have immediately ordered an upgraded version.

I just picked up the new MBPt last week. Pretty happy with it. Touchbar isn't my favorite thing ever (if I'm honest) but it's not enough to detract from overall usage.

I have one of the newer gen ones, a 2016 15" MBP with the re-designed keyboard. I HATE it. It's by far the worst laptop keyboard i've ever used. I rarely use the touch bar. I liked the Retina/3rd gen MBP keyboard the best.

Well my concern would be the keyboard and the screen flex-cable issues. The keyboard seems to be the most unreliable part: it is not whether if it will break, but when. The entire laptop top deck has to be replaced if that happens.

I went with an HP ZBook instead. No regrets. Good luck with the purchase.

Apple promised next day replacement if the keyboard goes for a toss

I have the 2019 i9/16/512/vega 20 I have no issues everything is good.
Also I have gotten use to the butterfly keyboard and actually kinda like it the 2019 feels bit squeeshier? in a good way. Maybe all mental but feels better?

Also I had the 2016 and 2018 model and never ever had any issues (Keyboard or any other)

Back