First Half of 2020 pretty bleak for PC gaming

Comixbooks

Fully [H]
We were suppose to get Cyberpunk 2077 delayed. Doom Eternal came out when everyone was staying at home. At lest Borderlands 3 delivered some good DLC most of the stuff I've been playing recenlty was released in 2019. Waiting on Great Rune to drop unless it's going to be along side the PS5 and X-BOX series launch. All of the developers might be holding out for the jump on Next Gen so they can cement their titles in being the 1st good game for the next gen systems.

The only games I have preordered are Cyberpunk 2077 and Outriders.

Last edited:
Outside of Doom Eternal and Cyberpunk 2077, I don't expect much out of 2020 gaming wise. To be honest, I found Doom Eternal somewhat disappointing. If you play Destiny 2, this season of the content is shaping up to be pretty good and its expansion is due out later this year.

I enjoyed Ghost Recon Breakpoint. I know it's a 2019 game, but the patch that made it into the game it originally should've been came out this year.

What did we have this time last year? The industry as a whole is usually loaded more during the end of the year with AAA releases than the beginning of the year.

1H19:
  • Resident Evil 2
  • Apex Legends
  • Devil May Cry 5
  • Anthem
  • The Division 2
  • Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
  • Rage 2
  • Total War: Three Kingdoms
1H20:
  • Monster Hunter World: Iceborne
  • Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot
  • Call of Duty: Warzone
  • Doom Eternal
  • Half-Life: Alyx
  • Resident Evil 3
  • Gears Tactics
  • Valorant
  • Desperados III
Just titles off the top of my head. I'm sure there will be arguments over what I listed...

Yeah I'm not going to spend 999.00 on a Steam VR that isn't even wireless.

I finished Assassin's Creed: Odyssey, and started Origins. There hasn't been anything newly released that interests me. I will get Star Wars: Squadrons for my son in the fall. Assassin's Creed: Valhalla is coming out late in the year, and I have every expectation that it will be amazing.

I finished Assassin's Creed: Odyssey, and started Origins. There hasn't been anything newly released that interests me. I will get Star Wars: Squadrons for my son in the fall. Assassin's Creed: Valhalla is coming out late in the year, and I have every expectation that it will be amazing.
How is that going for you? I was afraid to get Origins after Odyssey fearing that the older game would be inferior in every way.

How is that going for you? I was afraid to get Origins after Odyssey fearing that the older game would be inferior in every way.
I had the same thought. I am really liking it. There are some things in it that seem to have not made it to Odyssey. Different rarities of materials and armed transports that you can stop for materials. Searching for and hunting down different types of animals. A lot of little details. The world seems more alive.

I got the gold edition 80% off for $20 on the Ubisoft store. Steam is doing the same at the moment.
https://store.ubi.com/us/game/?lang...tform=pcdl&edition=Gold Edition&source=detail
https://store.steampowered.com/app/582160/Assassins_Creed_Origins/

Reactions: M76
like this
Looking forward to Mafia 1 Remake and Crysis Remastered. 1st half of 2020 was a good time to catch up on some past games not played, Doom Eternal is better second time around but then I also got bored with it as well (go figure).

Most posts by OP seem pretty bleak in general, so not sure I should take it seriously.

How is a major game launching during the quarantine period, when you have the most time to play games anyways, related at all to the "bleakness" of the market at all?

I've been pretty happy so far with RE3 remake, Half Life Alyx, The Last of Us 2, and working through some of my backlog in between with the Metro and Wolfenstein series. Looking forward to Ghosts of Tsushima and Horizon Zero Dawn port to PC as well. Plenty to enjoy out right now, esp. if you don't limit yourself to only one platform. With how many really good games have flooded the market the past few years, I'd be amazed if anyone had the time to chew through most of them while working a full-time job and having any other responsibilities.

Last edited:
Most posts by OP seem pretty bleak in general, so not sure I should take it seriously.

How is a major game launching during the quarantine period, when you have the most time to play games anyways, related at all to the "bleakness" of the market at all?

I've been pretty happy so far with RE3 remake, Half Life Alyx, The Last of Us 2, and working through some of my backlog in between with the Metro and Wolfenstein series. Looking forward to Ghosts of Tsushima and Horizon Zero Dawn port to PC as well. Plenty to enjoy out right now, esp. if you don't limit yourself to only one platform. With how many really good games have flooded the market the past few years, I'd be amazed if anyone had the time to chew through most of them while working a full-time job and having any other responsibilities.
Unfortunately I have to agree with the OP, I'm struggling to find something I could get into too. Especially after TLOU2. I mean I was actually thinking about getting Death Stranding, if you know how much I hate Kojima's style that tells you how desperate I am. Thankfully reading a review made me see sense. It is definitely not for me.

Note his poof:
1594048248352.png

Unfortunately I have to agree with the OP, I'm struggling to find something I could get into too. Especially after TLOU2. I mean I was actually thinking about getting Death Stranding, if you know how much I hate Kojima's style that tells you how desperate I am. Thankfully reading a review made me see sense. It is definitely not for me.

You seem a bit more critical of games in general than I am, and I didn't care much for Death Stranding despite loving most of Kojima's previous MGS games. They really don't have much in common though, esp. in terms of combat/action. I wouldn't recommend that game for most people unless you really like super slow/chill games where you can zone out while doing a lot of repetitive chores to mine resources. Plus it had that typical complex story trope that Kojima likes to stick with with generally less interesting characters than the MGS as well. It's a pretty niche game for a AAA game.

We were suppose to get Cyberpunk 2077 delayed. Doom Eternal came out when everyone was staying at home.
At lest Borderlands 3 delivered some good DLC most of the stuff I've been playing recenlty was released in 2019.

Waiting on Great Rune to drop unless it's going to be along side the PS5 and X-BOX series launch. All of the developers might be holding out for
the jump on Next Gen so they can cement their k?titles in being the 1st good game for the next gen systems.

The only games I have preordered are Cyberpunk 2077 and Outriders.
Can you explain how a game coming out when everyone is home is bleak? Every indication from all games I play is that covid was a god send to the gaming industry.

Can you explain how a game coming out when everyone is home is bleak? Every indication from all games I play is that covid was a god send to the gaming industry.
I have no proof, but I would suspect it was a little good and a little bad (long term). People bought more now, but development also stopped. They made more $ off 2019 games, but they may have months of added delays to other titles.

Yeah for new releases there was nothing.

Well one game I play apex legends said they had their best season ever, twitch numbers for almost all games are up and overall twitch numbers are up. people who sell or make things that are associated with staying at home or indoors are all having gang buster sales. Even though the economy as a whole is hurting there are sectors of the economy that are profiting immensely. For instance you might lose money if you are a fine dining restaurant. but if you make masks you are probably making money hand over fist.

Vermintide II got new seasons and content as well, if that's up your alley. If you want to step out of the "AAA or bust" cube there was Streets of Rage 4, Bloodstained Curse of The Moon 2, and a bunch of other old school style games that really knocked i out of the park. There's a few others sitting out there as well that haven't hit, including Baldurs Gate 3.

Doom Eternal and RE:3 are really the heavy hitters. Both are really good if not as ground breaking as the prior games that revitalized those franchises.

Well Cyberskunk 2021 Delayed for like the entire year almost could be delayed until 2021.

Baldurs Gate 3
Mortal Shell
Maneater
Borderlands 3 dlcs

The world events of 2020 really hit gaming studios.

Vermintide II got new seasons and content as well, if that's up your alley. If you want to step out of the "AAA or bust" cube there was Streets of Rage 4, Bloodstained Curse of The Moon 2, and a bunch of other old school style games that really knocked i out of the park. There's a few others sitting out there as well that haven't hit, including Baldurs Gate 3.

Doom Eternal and RE:3 are really the heavy hitters. Both are really good if not as ground breaking as the prior games that revitalized those franchises.

I wouldn't call Doom 2016 ground breaking. There was nothing about its gameplay or graphics that really pushed the envelope. The only thing you can say for it is that it runs incredibly well for how good it looks. That's nice, but not ground breaking. Since Doom Eternal has come out, I can safely say it wasn't ground breaking in the slightest. I don't even think it was a good game. The ammunition economy was bullshit making it feel less like a shooter than it should and the over dependence on platforming seemed out of place and wasn't fun. It broke up the action too much and turned Doom into something it's never been before and not in a good way.

True, and the end of 2020 doesn't seem too promising either except for Watch Dogs legion and Cyberpunk 2077. Honestly, I was hyped about and looking forward to Valhalla for months but recently, judging from the gameplay I saw, the game doesn't have that much to offer
How so in regards to Valhalla? Origins and Odyssey were excellent.

You wonder if good games will come out again at the same frequency? Everyone is going to update their GPU so they can play what? Nov. 12th should be intresting though because of PS5 and Xbox refresh. COD Coldwar didn't even impress most people during the beta I refunded the thing.

I think it just comes down to preferences. Haven't really played Origins or Odyssey, but I saw a low of people argue that these games were a little disappointing comparing to other titles from AC franchise

They are a fundamental departure from the AC series (stealth, targeted take downs, and retreats), more of a witcher 3 style experience mixed in (you are a combat god in both games, no need to stealth except for the fun of it), but TBH most Ubi games these days are pretty lame paint by numbers flustercuck of sandbox junk. The core gameplay in every one is solid, but the ancillary activities are just busy work.

That being said, HZD (Horizon Zero Dawn) launched on PC and that is basically an ubisoft style game done right.

first half of the year belonged to the PS4- Ghost of Tsushima and Last of Us 2

Back