First Gaming Benchmarks Revealed for the NVIDIA Titan RTX

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
JayzTwoCents benchmarked the Titan RTX earlier this week to see how it compared to the 2080 Ti and found it only provided an average improvement of 10 FPS in 4K, leading credence to those who say the price difference isn’t at all justifiable. This sentiment was echoed by Gamers Nexus last night after Steve Burke published his findings and proclaimed “this isn’t a worthwhile purchase for gaming or enthusiast users.” Linux fans may check out Phoronix for Michael Larabel’s take, who was more positive and noted there were “no driver issues to report.”

As we can see, the Titan RTX is faster than the RTX2080Ti by around 10 FPS in 4K on average and let me tell you that this performance boost does not justify the enormous price difference between the RTX 2080 Ti and the Titan RTX. I mean, the GeForce RTX 2080 Ti is already considered an overpriced GPU, so I can’t see anyone getting the Titan RTX – at $2500 – just to use it for gaming. Yes, it can play games, but there is no reason at all for PC gamers to invest on it, even when the money is no object.

I can build a whole rig and then some for the price of one of those things.... but I kinda still want it.

Nvidia is gonna shoot itself in the foot. No pun intended.

They're again spouting the "this isn't a gaming card" line yet sending it to youtubers that review gaming gpu's... Something they didn't do with titan v afaik. They're again pushing to see how many are gullible enough to pay the asking price for a much needed dick extension imo, 10% for over double the cost, laughable really :D.

They're again spouting the "this isn't a gaming card" line yet sending it to youtubers that review gaming gpu's... Something they didn't do with titan v afaik. They're again pushing to see how many are gullible enough to pay the asking price for a much needed dick extension imo, 10% for over double the cost, laughable really :D.

If you've got the disposable income and want the best.. I don't see what the problem is. Another 10 FPS @ 4k is still another 10FPS.

You can shit on nvidia all day long, but no one is forcing anyone to buy these things.

I'll point out that in the past we never even got hardware like this for consumers. At least nvidia is offering it.

After cross examining benchmarks, it was as I thought, slower than my Evga FTW3 2080ti.

Was debating getting one of these for deep learning, but I think I"ll get 2x 2080Ti. The eVGA Black editions are "only" $999

If you've got the disposable income and want the best.. I don't see what the problem is. Another 10 FPS @ 4k is still another 10FPS.

You can shit on nvidia all day long, but no one is forcing anyone to buy these things.

I'll point out that in the past we never even got hardware like this for consumers. At least nvidia is offering it.

10fps more @ 4k is still 10fps. At over double the cost for 10 fps i don't see how that's even an argument. $1300 extra for 10 fps over a 2080 ti, no thanks.

10fps more @ 4k is still 10fps. At over double the cost for 10 fps i don't see how that's even an argument. $1300 extra for 10 fps over a 2080 ti, no thanks.

Everyone has a different criteria for value. If they are able to sell these then someone finds them of value. I imagine they will sell mostly to the money is no object people and those that are on a budget for AI research.

These 20XX cards make less and less sense to me, wonder if Nvidia know something about AMD we don't know.
Another Nvidia stock tumble in 2019 would not surprise me at all.

The other thing that makes these look like a poor value for someone without unlimited funds, is the impending 7nm refresh. The original Pascal Titan owners had a great run, because there was not a shrink.
It would be a kick in the balls if in 8 months, there is a 7nm Titan RTXR or whatever they will call it. So unless you need it for work, I would pass.

Not that I would ever need to purchase a Titan RTX but it looks like out of the gate it either needs some optimization or it really is not geared at gaming.

Ahh it works for Nvidia, separated the suckers that have to have the best benchmarks from their money.

Because for some people that $1300 extra is about what you consider to be $10 extra. They don't give a shit, and an extra 10 fps is worth throwing down the extra cash.

And again, an extra 10 FPS @ 4k is a big deal when we're still talking sub 60 FPS in many of the recent demanding titles. If I had the cash i'd buy it. For my income I could justify the 2080ti, but I can't justify this one. But again, I think anyone bad mouthing folks for buying this are, frankly, jealous. I'd generally agree with your statements if there were other options. But there aren't. You gotta pay to play.

The reality is that we've reach a point where the average consumer doesn't even need much beyond a 980/1070/Vega 64 as most folks are going to be @ 1080p. Anything much beyond that performance mark is just a luxury item, really. So you can't knock someone for wanting the very best that technology in 2018 can offer.

Last edited:
Because for some people that $1300 extra is about what you consider to be $10 extra. They don't give a shit, and an extra 10 fps is worth throwing down the extra cash.

And again, an extra 10 FPS @ 4k is a big deal when we're still talking sub 60 FPS in many of the recent demanding titles. If I had the cash i'd buy it. For my income I could justify the 2080ti, but I can't justify this one. But again, I think anyone bad mouthing folks for buying this are, frankly, jealous. I'd generally agree with your statements if there were other options. But there aren't. You gotta pay to play.

No jealousy here at all, if i wanted to buy one i would, its just a ridiculous price for the minute performance bump over a 2080ti. Plus the cooler was already at its limits with the 2080ti, with this having all the core active it's just going to be a throttlefest.

I just lower my settings at 4k to maintain 60fps. If I was a 4k144hz owner, I'd still just go 2080 ti.

But 24GB of VRAM... Oh that is a lot. I remember when the first Titan came out with 6GB and I was very impressed.

The reality is that we've reach a point where the average consumer doesn't even need much beyond a 980/1070/Vega 64 as most folks are going to be @ 1080p. Anything much beyond that performance mark is just a luxury item, really. So you can't knock someone for wanting the very best that technology in 2018 can offer.

Nah it's called a opinion and everyone has one, so get over it.

I don't know how this is a Scooby Doo mystery, this is a Professional GPU only... CAD design, rendering, deep learning, research. Anyone who buys this for gaming purposes is the dumbest pile of shit this side of the Mississippi. And as Jayz eloquently put it, you can literally buy two RTX 2080 Ti's and still have a hundred bucks left over. Nvidia clearly thinks little of its users anymore.

Anyone working with deep learning can use the 24gb, actually 24gb is just enough to get some experiments going. For gaming, do not get.

This is just spinning out of control, I mean well honestly I called this back in 2008 and the 9800GX2SSC that came out later only reaffirmed my thoughts that if graphically we want not only more fidelity ;aka resolution jump, and we want graphics to become progressive in a meaningful mannerism generalized cores will not cut it anymore.

Bitmapped, Tile graphics, Sprites, Voxels, Rasterization, Ray Tracing

The amount of compute has risen to the point that for the next big leap will generalized cores still cut it, or will our graphics cards just be overpriced gaming cards more representing specialized Compute cores akin to workstation cards, I mean I seriously doubt Tensor and RT cores from here on out will fade away anytime soon, and ultimately what happens when Raster cores go out the window, I mean for now we are at a half-assed hybrid render which is fine because the power obviously is no where near where it needs to be for a complete real time Ray Traced Rendering system.

So going forward when we have the power is all our GPUs truly going to be just tensor and RT cores with a small cluster of Cuda cores for extra universal features, and how much will that truly cost us, if it quacks like a workstation card and looks like one, then is it one. Because NVidia learned last time about compromising workstation lines at triple the price is not good, well the 9800GX2SSC was $650 if I remember and the Tesla cards were what? $3k back then, I can't remember. I can only see these future GPUs jumping in cost because of artificial differences between 2 separate lines of products.....

Anyone have any thoughts, I can't see hybrid cores or generalized cores cutting the mustard if an acceptable level of performance needs to be achieved, even then 7nm or smaller UVL with Chiplets, may not even be enough despite density yields while it can bring down the die size we are still limited with what can be achieved.....

Ummm they bought the cards?

I don't know how this is a Scooby Doo mystery, this is a Professional GPU only... CAD design, rendering, deep learning, research. Anyone who buys this for gaming purposes is the dumbest pile of shit this side of the Mississippi. And as Jayz eloquently put it, you can literally buy two RTX 2080 Ti's and still have a hundred bucks left over. Nvidia clearly thinks little of its users and never did.

Fixed that for you. :D ;)

These 20XX cards make less and less sense to me, wonder if Nvidia know something about AMD we don't know.
Another Nvidia stock tumble in 2019 would not surprise me at all.
like maybe AMD was on the verge of a huge comeback and when combined with their own anti-consumer practices of late they were going to be taking a real hit and so they decided they needed to pull a desperation move which flopped and now they're trying to spin it?

im just spitballin on that though...

Isint that like the whole difference between the 1080ti ans 2080ti? But people bought it anyways.

Isint that like the whole difference between the 1080ti ans 2080ti? But people bought it anyways.

There's always some people who will shell out for the best, and there's always people (like myself) who refuse to pay 52% (1080Ti vs. 2080Ti) or 70% (Titan Xp vs. Titan RTX) over last generation pricing for a normal generational 25-35% improvement.

It goes from must buy to hard pass as soon as the price was revealed.

Looks like they’ve adopted Apple’s pricing and underperforming hardware.

Reactions: STEM
like this
Looks like they’ve adopted Apple’s pricing and underperforming hardware.

You don't have to like the fact that nvidia is the king of the crown right now, but to say something like this is just idiotic because it's patently false. They could offer a GPU for the price of $10k a unit that only offered another 10 FPS over the RTX Titan and to say it 'underperforms' is idiotic as AMD isn't anywhere near offering even 1080ti/2080 levels of performance.

Well, Jay is bought and paid for by both Intel and NVIDIA. He tries really hard to "seem" neutral and unbiased, but we all know that he turned into a YouTube Tech-Hore. We all know who's cocks he's suckling now. Gotta pay those bills man... and that Camaro... And I understand that, but at the same time his videos and opinions have become worthless to me, so I'm no longer watching them.

Digital Jesus on the other hand would be kind of okay, of he didn't stretch out every single video so much with a lot of blah... blah... blah... Just get to the point and be done with it man.

Back