First full work day on Ryzen, have some questions

cokewithvanilla

Weaksauce
I have done some reading here and there about core utilization on Ryzen. Perhaps this reading should have been done prior to my purchasing decision.

Long story short, I am surprisingly experiencing slowdowns (as in the mouse does not move fluidly, etc.) with my ryzenv 1700x. I was able to replicate this issue multiple times but simply moving the mouse around in a ToS window quickly. After a second or so, it would start lagging heavily.

Workload:

Thinkorswim - 10 windows at 1440p taking up 9gb ram and around 13% cpu usage usually. 4 on desktop one 6 on desktop two (virtual)
Etrade pro - one window
Chrome - two windows
excel - one instance

Running the balanced powerplan, all cores beyond 5 were parked. Running high performance, none were parked, but most didnt get much usage.

Either way, I experienced slowdowns. However, I never achieved a high level of CPU/ram/hard disk usage.

My only guess is thinkorswim is not a program that uses multiple threads, and I am maxing out a single core. Single core benchmarks are about 20% lower than my brothers 6700k

Is there any optimization I should try before returning my Processor/mobo and going with an i7-7700k?

System specs
Windows 10 64-bit build 1703
Corsair Crystal 460x RGB
6x Acer XF270HU
Corsair RM1000x
Asus ROG Crosshair IV Hero - bios rev. 1201
Ryzen 1700x
Corsair Dominator Platinum 16x2 DDR 3000
Samsung 960 Evo 250gb
2x Powercolor Radeon RX570
Corsair H100i v2 (oh that was a pain without the am4 bracket)
Corsair M65
Corsair K95 RGB Platinum
3x VIVO 2 monitor stands (vertical)
APC 1500VA

Last edited:
What type of drives are you using? Also, wired or wireless mouse and what mouse port? Overclocked or everything at stock? Latest bios revision for your board? We need to know what your hardware is before we can really answer your question.

I have added my system specs. Everything is stock clocks. Everything is updated. Wired mouse in one of the usb ports.

The mouse wasnt my only issue. I guess i should explain. When you are on a chart in thinkorswim, the mouse acts as a sort of crosshair, where one line intersects with an axis of the chart. This is what was moving slow, not the mouse itself. The softwre was running slow, and the way i could tell was the 'mouse' (the chart axis lines) were moving slow.

However, now that I mention mouse, that is one of the things that goes slow every time the computer boots. it kinda jumps around... i guess that is unusual.

I have done some reading here and there about core utilization on Ryzen. Perhaps this reading should have been done prior to my purchasing decision.

Long story short, I am surprisingly experiencing slowdowns (as in the mouse does not move fluidly, etc.) with my ryzenv 1700x. I was able to replicate this issue multiple times but simply moving the mouse around in a ToS window quickly. After a second or so, it would start lagging heavily.

Workload:

Thinkorswim - 10 windows at 1440p taking up 9gb ram and around 13% cpu usage usually. 4 on desktop one 6 on desktop two (virtual)
Etrade pro - one window
Chrome - two windows
excel - one instance

Running the balanced powerplan, all cores beyond 5 were parked. Running high performance, none were parked, but most didnt get much usage.

Either way, I experienced slowdowns. However, I never achieved a high level of CPU/ram/hard disk usage.

My only guess is thinkorswim is not a program that uses multiple threads, and I am maxing out a single core. Single core benchmarks are about 20% lower than my brothers 6700k

Is there any optimization I should try before returning my Processor/mobo and going with an i7-7700k?

System specs
Windows 10 64-bit build 1703
Corsair Crystal 460x RGB
6x Acer XF270HU
Corsair RM1000x
Asus ROG Crosshair IV Hero - bios rev. 1201
Ryzen 1700x
Corsair Dominator Platinum 16x2 DDR 3000
Samsung 960 Evo 250gb
2x Powercolor Radeon RX570
Corsair H100i v2 (oh that was a pain without the am4 bracket)
Corsair M65
Corsair K95 RGB Platinum
3x VIVO 2 monitor stands (vertical)
APC 1500VA

What is your core voltage? What is your dram voltage? What is your cpu frequency??? To me your problem sounds like instabilty. Some of your settings have to be off.

What is your core voltage? What is your dram voltage? What is your cpu frequency??? To me your problem sounds like instabilty. Some of your settings have to be off.

all voltages stock. everything set to auto

CPU
Frequency 3400 Mhz
Bclck 100
Core voltage 1.460
Ratio 34x

Memory
Frequency 2133mhz
voltage 1.199

Voltage
+12v - 11.902v

+5v - 4.932v

+3.3v - 3.291v

Dram timing
15-15-15-15-36

Last edited:
it does, it does.. and i thought i was golden. What it doesnt have is an AM3 backplate.
Did you throw away the AM3 backplate that was packaged with your H110i GTX?

I didn't throw away the one that was packaged with my H110. But, I keep everything and that causes other problems.

I was able to resell my 4770K combo with original boxes for it and my 2 video cards becuase I hoard.

Did you throw away the AM3 backplate that was packaged with your H110i GTX?

I didn't throw away the one that was packaged with my H110. But, I keep everything and that causes other problems.

I was able to resell my 4770K combo with original boxes for it and my 2 video cards becuase I hoard.

Mine only came with an intel backplate. H110iv2... I just rechecked the box, not in there. I actually had the AM4 mounting bracket in the cart at the store, but it fell out somewhere between the motherboard aisle and checkout. Caused me a big headache at 3am.

Lets just add some more stability issues. I just tried to load a game, just to see what happens. I dont own very many games, so I had to dig up my steam password to install counter strike global offensive. Download >install>run> six black screens, keboard lights stopped, computer kept running with code 8 on the motherboard. Restarted, said "overclock failed!" ... there is no overclock.

Set VSOC to 1.1 and VDram to 1.35 and VDramBoot to 1.35 and see what happens.

Updating BIOS is sort of like updating drivers nowadays. You gotta keep doing it periodically. This may be the cause, it may not.

Updating BIOS is sort of like updating drivers nowadays. You gotta keep doing it periodically. This may be the cause, it may not.

as in i should update the bios again even though I have the latest version? never did that with drivers.

1.46 v Core voltage is much too high, it could be throttling. Should easily do 3.4 on 1.18 or so.

Mine does 3.7 on 1.2v

Also what is your ram usage? (Total vs used)

Last edited:
I found some beta bios. 9945. Installed, set docp and the ram is now 2933 no issues. cinebench results came back as 1505 with no overclock.

Ram usage at the time was 14gb, total 32gb

Mine only came with an intel backplate. H110iv2... I just rechecked the box, not in there. I actually had the AM4 mounting bracket in the cart at the store, but it fell out somewhere between the motherboard aisle and checkout. Caused me a big headache at 3am.

Then it is time to go get the correct mounting bracket for that cooler. I would never assume it is cooling correctly without it.

Then it is time to go get the correct mounting bracket for that cooler. I would never assume it is cooling correctly without it.

I no longer have an AM4 back plate either, so that isnt an option... i have a ... custom... am3 backplate.

I would have to source a new back plate and mount. Cooling is working fine though. The cooler mounts based on tension, and I have tension. Also, I have correct temps according to Ryzen Master.

What are your memory settings on TOS? I have a 4790k and run the same number of windows with no issues at all. I have TOS set at 32 / 3072. I was told by AMTD that the first setting (32) at the lowest is best for most efficient garbage collection purposes. 3072 is total MB allowed for the JVM which is fine for me.

What are your memory settings on TOS? I have a 4790k and run the same number of windows with no issues at all. I have TOS set at 32 / 3072. I was told by AMTD that the first setting (32) at the lowest is best for most efficient garbage collection purposes. 3072 is total MB allowed for the JVM which is fine for me.

32 / 26167

It verry well could be faulty hardware, plain and simple. Regardless, an intel system of similar price should perform similarly.

Mouse slowing down has NOTHING to do with Ryzen or a Pentium or even a Celeron 333 overclocked to 466 mhz running WIndows 95.

You have a hardware issue with the mouse or driver issue with the mouse or windows is being retarded.

Many years as a high tier IT guy here. Gaurantee you it is not the processor in any way. Mobo may be the issue etc... but the CPU has virtually nothing to do with this I can almost bet you.

or your CPU is not thermally coupled to your cooler correctly and it is overheating and slowing to a crawl to prevent devastation to that little slab of expensive silicon.
------

Mouse slowing down has NOTHING to do with Ryzen or a Pentium or even a Celeron 333 overclocked to 466 mhz running WIndows 95.

You have a hardware issue with the mouse or driver issue with the mouse or windows is being retarded.

Many years as a high tier IT guy here. Gaurantee you it is not the processor in any way. Mobo may be the issue etc... but the CPU has virtually nothing to do with this I can almost bet you.

or your CPU is not thermally coupled to your cooler correctly and it is overheating and slowing to a crawl to prevent devastation to that little slab of expensive silicon.
------

I am not blaming the CPU here. If anything, I am blaming the entire hardware set. I am making some assumptions, yes, but I know I would not have as many issues crop up if I simply bought intel. Example, I had to run a beta bios simply to clock my ram to its normal specs. I know its easy to blame operator error, and say my cooler must be installed incorrectly... however, nothing suggests that to be correct. All temps are in spec. Running my cooler in quiet mode.

You do not need 26gb ram allocated to TOS.. I'd start there and knock it down to 3-4 GB and see if that clears up your mouse issues.

I will try this. but I know i cannot go down that low. Using my work laptop, I max that much out in TOS easily, which is why i built this with 32gb ram. I have moved it down to 12gb

idle.PNG

full load.PNG

full load rog.PNG

During cinebench and CPUID stress test, all cores were used, none were slowed down, and temps did not ego much over 46 degrees C.

Last edited:
There is something wrong with your cpu/configurations if you're getting half the CPU-z multi-thread bench score vs. my dinosaur cpu.

NVM, it seems the score is different on the ROG CPU-z version so your scores look correct with a 1700x.

There is something wrong with your cpu/configurations if you're getting half the CPU-z multi-thread bench score vs. my dinosaur cpu.

NVM, it seems the score is different on the ROG CPU-z version so your scores look correct with a 1700x.

the score is correct. reference for 1700x is 4200.

Just tried to get out of sleep, post code 8. had to remove the 'overclock'

Bad board or what? Have to decide whether or not to exchange it. if i do, it will be intel

------

I agree it seems like a weird issue and it seems far more likely to be a driver/USB/chipset/mouse issue than some voltage or timing or temperature or whatever. It seems crazy to suspect temperatures for an issue like this.

Of course Ryzen is powerful enough to move a mouse cursor smoothly across the screen. Even my 80386 at 25 MHz was capable of moving the mouse cursor smoothly.

Have you tried a different mouse, different USB port etc?

Could be Think or swim being a pig with resouces. Charts are live and probably no resources allocated to UI. Input may have low priority.

There are a lot of reports with code 8 non-starts on that board.
As a test pull one of the video cards and see if the problem goes away.

I have seen in the past with other cpus cooling issues a single core can overheat and throttle when running a strongly single threaded application and it doesn't show up in temperature monitor.
My 5000+ BE did that when my cooler got plugged with dust with similar issues as you are having.
While it is stuttering in the one app switch to another does that stutter also?

I don thtink so. Right now i am having fan speed issues. I booted and all the sudden fan is going nuts for no apparent reason. I think i've about had it with Ryzen. I certainly am not getting stuck with this outside my return date.

I don thtink so. Right now i am having fan speed issues. I booted and all the sudden fan is going nuts for no apparent reason. I think i've about had it with Ryzen. I certainly am not getting stuck with this outside my return date.

It is almost certain that your fan speed issue has NOTHING to do with your Ryzen cpu. It can be buggy fan software, a faulty motherboard or an improper voltage setting. If you are using software to control fan speeds that is the most common cause of fan speed issues. Get rid of the software and use the bios to control your fan speeds. Guaranteed to work a lot better.

another sign of a cooling issue.
Sounds very strongly to me like your cobbled together cooling solution is not working.

Back