First ever Mac and email question

SR45

Limp Gawd
Is it possible to just log onto the Internet and retrieve my Gmail / Hotmail / Yahoo account or set one up from there or does one have to have and Mac email account first ?

New Mac Mini 2011 arriving soon and I don't know much about this OS yet

Many thanks

Of course you can just open a browser and go to your email provider and login. It's a computer that accesses the same Internet every other computer does. I've never used any "mail" program on any platform. You'll be just fine.

Thanks everyone. Figured that out after a bit of consern and doing some reading. This is my first Mac and still a little bit of learning to do over a PC.

Thanks everyone. Figured that out after a bit of consern and doing some reading. This is my first Mac and still a little bit of learning to do over a PC.

If you can do it on a PC, you can do it on a Mac, and usually easier.

Agree, with some exceptions...

Just started out with the new Mac Mini 2011 and Lion and let me tell you, its a new learning curve for me.

Still trying to find a Windows Like "Notepad" or "Wordpad" in this first day of Apple.

Getting a how to Lion book real soon and read it immediately if not sooner :)

Agree, with some exceptions...

Just started out with the new Mac Mini 2011 and Lion and let me tell you, its a new learning curve for me.

Still trying to find a Windows Like "Notepad" or "Wordpad" in this first day of Apple.

Getting a how to Lion book real soon and read it immediately if not sooner :)

as mentioned above, textedit is what you're looking for

also, you probably don't need a book. you can just ask questions here and people tend to be very helpful and friendly. you won't get mocked for asking really basic questions. this subforum is actually really good about helping each other out, as we are kind of a minority is this neck of the woods

OP - as stated, you can just access the internet. I use the built in mail app because I just like how it works. It guides you on how to setup your g/hot/yahoo mail and if you have more than one account, it is nice to get it all in one place. give it a try, you'll probably like it.

as mentioned above, textedit is what you're looking for

also, you probably don't need a book. you can just ask questions here and people tend to be very helpful and friendly. you won't get mocked for asking really basic questions. this subforum is actually really good about helping each other out, as we are kind of a minority is this neck of the woods

This.

Mac Mini 2011 arrived and set up was easy with the exception of pairing the apple wireless bluetooth keyboard, which I knew would take a bit longer using a USB keyboard first. Other than that, the system is very quiet, not even warm after an hour or more of use, and the size of the unit is so small that one can put it just about anywhere.

After the first few hours of getting to know the mac mini, the email set up was simple as has been mentioned, but I didn't know this would be that simple guys. Thanks for the input.

Logged onto MacRumors forum and asked a number of questions for a noob like me, and got some very good replies from a mature forum, which is a blessing over some other forums I've been on. Good to have this forum as well. Couple of good places to ask questions.

Getting used to the wireless bluetooth keyboard, which was not that difficult over the Microsoft Ergonomic keyboard 4000, but took a little bit of time.

Textedit, I just found and used plus I downloaded a free "LibreOffice" software that was also suggested and similar to WordPad from Microsoft.

Now to connect a external DVD burner to transfer over some music and photos on a disk I have, since I wiped my PC and stuck it away as a back up if needed in the future.

My PC (Home Built) with a powerful GPU, producing a lot of noise and heat, not to mention the electric bill that goes with it and this Mac Mini is a power miser which will help in the pocket book as well.

Nice system and very glade I took the plunge. Perfect system for me. Gaming is now on an Xbox 360 only.

Thanks guys for your replies.

You're welcome :) Macrumors really is a great forum, I like it a lot too.
Have fun with your new system.

Yeah, I'm toying with picking up an mini (or building a AMD E-350) for "day to day use". Oddly the fiancee would never notice, and it would cut the power bill by 20% or so.

If I could find a KVM switch that does 2 monitors and USB/Mouse, or something similar, I would probably build one in a heartbeat. (It would double as filling my "must build new computer" bug, which has struck HARD lately, even though the current desktop is still more then adequate for all the games I play).

Back