First build in 8 years on its way. Excited doesn't cover it!!!

Syphon Filter

2[H]4U
Boom -

Item: Corsair Carbide Series Air 540 High Airflow ATX Cube Case - Qty: 1
Item: Corsair Hydro Series H100i Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler - Qty: 1
Item: Asus MAXIMUS VI FORMULA Z87 Socket 1150 HDMI ATX Motherboard - Qty: 1
Item: Intel Core i7 4770K 3.50GHz Socket 1150 8MB Cache Retail Boxed Processor - Qty: 1
Item: Kingston Hyper X 16GB 2400MHz DDR3 CL11 DIMM (Kit of 2) XMP Beast Series - Qty: 1
Item: Seagate Desktop SSHD 2TB 64MB Cache SATA 6 Gb/s 8GB SSD Cache hybrid HDD - Qty: 2
Item: Samsung 500GB SSD 840 EVO - SSD Only - Qty: 1
Item: Corsair MM200W Wide Cloth Gaming Mouse Mat, 430mm x 280mm x 2mm - Qty: 1
Item: Corsair AX1200i 1200W 80+ Platinum PSU - Qty: 1
Item: EVGA GTX 780 Ti SC 3GB GDDR5 Dual DVI HDMI DisplayPort PCI-E Graphics Card - Qty: 2

Can't. Fucking. Wait.

Unless this is true.

Last edited:
Too bad you'll never notice the difference between DDR3 1600 and DDR3 2400 on that 4770k unless you strictly do benchmarks.

Not to mention that 1200W is twice as much power as you'll ever use.

I think there was a price differential of about £20 on the 1600 vs. 2400 RAM so no biggie.

As for the PSU, I think you may have mentioned this on another thread and I appreciate the input.

The logic behind this is that I am intending on keeping the base of this build for sometime to come and initially I was going to go with 2x 290X cards. With those cards I was reluctant to go with an 800-900W PSU as:

a) I plan on OCing the CPU and GPUs
b) I want some overheard
c) It gives me some capacity for the future upgrades/components while maintaining that overhead

In the end I got bored of waiting for the 290X AIB cards but I've kept the PSU the same for the above reasons (b & c in particular).

What is the harm in having a PSU that is well within capacity?

Well IMHO, it's just a waste of money then to buy two 780 Ti cards only to sell them for a loss and replace them with 290X cards. Almost defeats one of the big selling points of the 290X cards (price per performance)

As for anything wrong with buying a PSU that's more than double what you need. I have to say the only problem with that is.

1. The added money getting an overkill PSU could be put towards something you could actually utilize. Such as more GPU, RAM, SSD, etc...
2. Hardware really hasn't been using more power than previous generations. While the current lineup does use a tad bit more on the AMD side, we're at a point that this is about as powerful as a single hardware is going to get.

With that being said, if the faster RAM was only £20 more than no biggie. Just make sure it's running at 1.5V. Most high clocked RAM has more voltage than that.

Definitely won't be selling the 780Ti cards for 290X cards.

I was just saying that reasons a/b/c still stand (so 2x780Ti OCing & 4770k OCing + headroom for now and future).

Well...

780 Ti SLI'd on an overclocked 3770k @ 4.8Ghz consumed ~590W at the wall. ;)

Future will most likely see the same or less power draw.

Is that with stock 780Ti or OCed?

There's still time...

EDIT:

It seems that PSUs are generally most efficient at 50-70% load...is that right?

Is that with stock 780Ti or OCed?

There's still time...

EDIT:

It seems that PSUs are generally most efficient at 50-70% load...is that right?

Stock 780 Ti, but OC'd SLI Ti's aren't going to double the power consumption even if you get double the clock speeds from them.

A PSU's efficiency is measured by how much AC power it takes to convert to DC power. That figure I gave you, 590W is rated at the wall. Which is AC Watts. Since the PC uses DC Watts the PSU has to convert it. It just so happens that the PSU they're using has ~90% efficiency rating. This means the PSU is actually only delivering 531W of DC power.

The efficiency of a PSU varies from PSU to PSU. It's best to see which specific PSU you're referring to at the power levels you're expecting to get its efficiency. Though on a good PSU that fluctuation could be +- < 5%.

I run a ax850 with zero issues, and have tested 2x 290x's in crossfire, as well as used it to run multiple GPU setups for years. Even SLI 480's didn't stress the PSU! But 1200w does provide headroom.

Yeh screw it. I'm keeping it in.

Also, that Crucial 1600 CL8 went OOS so I'm stuck with the Kingston 2400 CL11, no biggie. Original order stands!

I'm just going to enjoy myself with it. Roll on the weekend and bring on the build.

In case you can't tell I'm excited :D

I mean if money isn't an issue then who cares if you go a little overkill. Sick build, OP. What kind of monitors will you be running? Also, I personally would pick up some after market fans for the H100i and/or case. Specifically some gentle typhoons.

I'm on a 27" Dell @ 2560x1440.

I'm actually debating dropping one of the GPUs off as a single 780Ti should be able to cope just fine at that res.

Doing so would also allow me to drop the PSU down to the AX860i without any concerns too...

I'm actually debating dropping one of the GPUs off as a single 780Ti should be able to cope just fine at that res.

Doing so would also allow me to drop the PSU down to the AX860i without any concerns too...

I don't understand why you so skeptical about running dual gpu's with an 860, I have an AX860 for my build *see my sig* and it runs flawlessly with no problems.

That's on top of my rig being modestly overclocked as well, you have to understand that nvidia cards are a completely different breed in comparison to AMD GPU's when it comes to power consumption, you can definitely get away with an 860 while overclocking.

I don't understand why you so skeptical about running dual gpu's with an 860, I have an AX860 for my build *see my sig* and it runs flawlessly with no problems.

That's on top of my rig being modestly overclocked as well, you have to understand that nvidia cards are a completely different breed in comparison to AMD GPU's when it comes to power consumption, you can definitely get away with an 860 while overclocking.

What he said, that extra 30 watts is huge! You would probably want to actually get a second PSU if you went AMD:rolleyes:

The AX860 is plenty for two 780Tis. Like we were talking about in your other thread, the AX1200 is even mild overkill for two 290s, but you seemed to want a Corsair PSU. A 950-1050w of another brand would be fine.

On another note, great choice of case. I love the newer Corsair cases. I think I'm going 750D.

Was the whole system at 100% load during that test?

Gaming simply doesn't load the entire system 100%. Since the OP is building a gaming rig then it's a safe bet to get the power consumption a gaming rig will draw.

With that being said; an i7 4770k @ 4.8Ghz draws 186W at the wall under 100% load.

590W + 186W = 776W in theory. I say in theory because that figure is probably a little high. It's not like the CPU is 100% idle when gaming. Granted it's not 100% loaded either so the 590W number does show a CPU under some kind of load.

Either way, 776W at the wall is still well below 1200W DC.

Gaming simply doesn't load the entire system 100%. Since the OP is building a gaming rig then it's a safe bet to get the power consumption a gaming rig will draw.

With that being said; an i7 4770k @ 4.8Ghz draws 186W at the wall under 100% load.

590W + 186W = 776W in theory. I say in theory because that figure is probably a little high. It's not like the CPU is 100% idle when gaming. Granted it's not 100% loaded either so the 590W number does show a CPU under some kind of load.

Either way, 776W at the wall is still well below 1200W DC.

You should measure everything at 100% load because you dont power things with less then it could possible need.

You should measure everything at 100% load because you dont power things with less then it could possible need.

While I understand that, I never recommended a PSU to the OP. If I did, it would have been 850W+ for his setup which would still be well within' the max he could possibly draw. :eek:

Either way, 1200W is still overkill. ;)

While I understand that, I never recommended a PSU to the OP. If I did, it would have been 850W+ for his setup which would still be well within' the max he could possibly draw. :eek:

Either way, 1200W is still overkill. ;)

If he was only wanting to do web browsing would you tell him to get a 400w?

Overkill, shmoverkill. I'm going to stick with it.

I'd rather spend an extra few quid now than find I need to replace when I do a GPU or platform upgrade down the line.

If there was an AX1000i I'd have gone for that. I was going to go with the BeQuiet 1000W but it went OOS and still is.

Heh.

Thanks. They just seem like a really solid brand and their gear a) reviews well b) is of decent quality in my experience.

I am tentative about the Asus mobo given what I've been reading about their RMA hassles.

My last board was an Abit IC7-MAXIII which went pop back in 08!

Heh.

Thanks. They just seem like a really solid brand and their gear a) reviews well b) is of decent quality in my experience.

I am tentative about the Asus mobo given what I've been reading about their RMA hassles.

My last board was an Abit IC7-MAXIII which went pop back in 08!

You shouldnt have any problems with asus rma might be a pain but their boards are good...

I actually just got a corsair 900D case...

Back