First AMD build in 12 years.

Hakaba

[H]ard|Gawd
Made the jump and upgraded to a 2700x (or a sidegrade depending what camp you fall in). Swapped in the following parts while holding onto the 1080ti, PSU, SSD etc...

2700X
ASUS Crosshair VII Hero (Wi-Fi)
TridentZ 16GB (F4-3200C14D-16GTZRX) post and runs at 3200 (not 100% sure on timings)

While I would love be to praise the setup I am having some odd USB hanging isssues. But seems to be just the mouse and keyboard since my DAC/Amp & Yeti do not seem to skip a beat when USB devices hang for a second.

I tried resetting windows, forcing newest AMD chipset drivers over the windows selected ones, enabling Ryzen Balances Plan, auto clocking ram, running it at 3200, 3000, forcing cpu/case fans to run a constant 70% (making sure heat is not an issue) etc...

I will be upgrading my BIOS tonorrow And is issues remain reinstall Windows tomorrow to see if that helps, maybe something is borked.

Either way I’ll post pictures once the new case gets and I proper attack cable management.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I've had a couple of USB issues happen so far:

Both of these issues are on Windows 10 Pro 1709.

1. A 64GB Transcend USB 3.0 flash drive randomly disconnects (with accompanying USB disconnection sound) when plugged into the front USB port on the case while copying a large amount of data from drive to system. Happens after a couple of minutes. Not sure if it's the fault of the USB drive, the internal USB cable length between front of case and plug on MB, or the MB/chipset itself. USB 2.0 flash drives (Cruzer) work fine. Don't have other USB 3.0 flash drives to test.

2. Vice Versa 2.5 Backup software will "hang" during a large backup operation to a USB 2.0 hard drive. Need to kill the software, and restarting it and trying again results in an immediate hang again. Normal "safe eject" of USB drive results in error. Need to forceably disconnect (power off) USB drive to reset things. During hang, access to USB drive via Windows Explorer is perfectly fine both reads/writes. Same software and USB drive worked fine on old system. Vice Versa has an option to use "Windows file copy" instead of its own internal method and that appeared to work (but I only did it once). Using Windows Explorer to copy large amounts of data to same USB drive works fine. Seems to be something inside Vice Versa that interacts poorly with AMD MB USB interfaces.

Quick update, updating the BIOS fixes the quirky keyboard and mouse issues, should have done that right at the start but... needed to read up and make sure it wasn’t going to break anything else.

Working with a View 71, spent a chunk of the day doing cable management, would have shortened and resleaved everything but I forgot to put female terminals, cables combs and enough sleeving to complete the job. Got those on order should have them next week.

Cpu idling seems high, but I am using the AMD provided paste and not the normal good stuff. Will be swinging by Goodwill tomorrow to remedy that.

Things to come, working on re-activating windows and watercooling in the next 1-2 months.

Reading the comments above, I hope there is no issues with the hardware, it only takes Newegg a month to get stuff out here.

More to come later.

D9C770F0-C0B4-441B-B6D6-1F64A3438EA6.jpeg
6C8E9D7B-F70E-4534-8511-D75D3145C953.jpeg

[

Last edited:
Thanks all, working cables now, first time sleeving them so running into issues. But lessons learned.

Will post more later once I sleeve the rest of the cables.

36A1CFF8-DB45-42A3-8F06-DD1A56CE11E9.jpeg

78F2CEDF-747C-464E-B3CC-7847F469EAD5.jpeg

I had problem with usb but it was due to a faulty usb cable since then it's been solid (gigabyte gaming 3 ab350 board). Been updating my bios to every new version tought.

I must say, I've heard of lots of issues relating to ASUS Mobos and Ryzen.
Me personally, I bought a ASrock x370 Killer SLI/ac at launch and haven't much issues besides the not being able to run my RAM at 2933MHz at first, but BIOS updates have fixed that.
ASrock seems to have hit it out of the park this gen.
Sorry, a bit off topic....

Nice looking build! I have a friend that upgraded to the 2700x and I bought his old 1700. OC'ed it to 4GHz, wicked fast...
Wish I had the money for a 1080ti...

My intiial Ryzen install couldn't stay running long enough to get the updated Asmedia USB drivers installed, so it was a nearly infinite reboot cycle there in the early days. Problem was, I had a USB WIFI adapter at the time which kept causing the machine to bluescreen due to incompatibility with the stock USB drivers.
Hasn't been an issue since April 2017.

Ran into some issues had to delay the build for a few, most of the parts are in now. However the heat gun, bending kit, and some fittings shipped in 4 separate boxes...

Will add more once the rest of the equipment arrives.

.705653F0-9A35-4B27-8392-72127BF54B00.jpeg

Congrats on the system build. I love my 2700X rig. I also love my 7820X rig, but that's for a different thread.

You're going to love that new rig.

Bump for a nice setup. I have the same board/CPU combo.
Same, I even have the same case. Recently went from a q9650 and radeon 4870x2 that was my main rig for 6-7 years (yeah I know) to 2700x, 16gb of Gskill flarex @ 3200 , and a GTX 1080. Extremely happy with it. The only weird thing was that, everything was working fine for 2 weeks, then during an FPS boss fight, right as I delivered the death blow, screen glitched out and pc crashed. Couldn't get back into Windows 10 unless it was safe mode. Thought it was a driver issue, or maybe the fact that I used a riser cable to mount the GPU. So I moved GPU directly to motherboard, ended up reinstalling windows from scratch, and still couldn't get into windows unless it was in safe mode. Ended up getting a replacement GPU (this time I just installed it to the motherboard), which fixed everything.

You really shouldn't be having basic USB issues, so it may just be the board: https://www.amazon.com/ROG-Crosshair-VII-Hero-Wi-Fi/dp/B07C5JKH91#customerReviews

Not sure what's up with ASUS lately, but they appear to have some occasional stinkers in their lineup.

I'm running an ASRock Z370 because of issues reported with the equivalent ASUS at the time.

Yup I got the Asus X470-i and I've almost always gone Asus but I'm noticing a little slacking on their part. I had very few great options for X470 mITX but I might go Gigabyte next time. GB has been growing fast and is very close to Asus' market cap if not overtaken by now.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Finally hit a point where I made some progress, before posting a partial build log, anyone have any suggestions or concerns I should be worried about?

It’s my first watercooled build, so... The acrylic bends prob could be better.
BA6B7168-9994-4E62-83E5-C47BE45C6B4B.jpeg

Why we leak test, once the system was fully pressurized It only took about 10 seconds to see the its one and only leak... The fitting on the back of the gpu was leaking a drop every few seconds... Could have sworn it was tighten, maybe over tightened?

In the end drained the system, took apart the GPU/block and cleaned & dried everything. So far no leaks for 3 hours.

Attachments

• C4F0B62F-83CE-4835-B207-3094D0E284A1.jpeg
    C4F0B62F-83CE-4835-B207-3094D0E284A1.jpeg
    441.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Looks good. I really like the sleeve job, I may check into doing that myself even if the last time I tried (many years ago) looked terrible.

I will be finishing the cables last, actually ordering a few more fittings to adjust the loop.

So all in all everything is up and running, just trying to get a see if my temps are good, had a couple issue benchmarking this morning (prime95 related) and ran into a couple shutdowns. Going to assume temp related for now... CPU jumps from 32-40 randomly and under load is between 50-55c, and prime 95 is 63c, while the GPU just sits at 28c and around 30 when benchmarking tomb raider.

Back