First 4870 review on the web

ZerazaX

[H]ard|Gawd
Looks like the Chinese website expreview has put up the first 4870 review up on the web. Translate link (google translate, might be slow until they get it mirrored on their english site I guess):

http://translate.google.com/transla...167d9273.html&hl=zh-CN&ie=UTF8&sl=zh-CN&tl=en

edit: english version up http://en.expreview.com/2008/06/24/first-review-hd-4870-and-hd-4850/

Looks like it beats the GTX 260 across the board even with AA and AF. Even manages to match the GTX280 in some games, especially when 8xAA and AF are turned on.

If this card really is $100 cheaper than the GTX260, then the 4870 is going to be a killer performer :eek:

I can't wait for the other reviews out there to finally come out. This last week of GPU excitement isn't quite over yet! Bring on summer!

Looks like the Chinese website expreview has put up the first 4870 review up on the web. Translate link (google translate, might be slow until they get it mirrored on their english site I guess):

http://translate.google.com/transla...167d9273.html&hl=zh-CN&ie=UTF8&sl=zh-CN&tl=en

Looks like it beats the GTX 260 across the board even with AA and AF. Even manages to match the GTX280 in some games, especially when 8xAA and AF are turned on.

If this card really is $100 cheaper than the GTX260, then the 4870 is going to be a killer performer :eek:

I can't wait for the other reviews out there to finally come out. This last week of GPU excitement isn't quite over yet! Bring on summer!

I hope so. I really like the design and look of it as well. :cool:

Wow. If this is true, GTX 260 MUST drop to $300. It has no chance whatsoever at the $400 price point.

It's funny to look back and think about how Nvidia was planning to charge $450 for it... Hooray for the free market!

Any news on a 1 GB version yet?

Dayum. With it trading blows with the GTX 280 & the 9800GX2, I for one CANNOT wait to see 4870x2. Hopefully AMD won't wait too long to release that bad boy.. and stay true to their promise of best performance at every price!

Power hog. Not Nice
2x 6pin pcie connectors? Very Nice.

Now to wait for retail pricing...and [H]'s review.

It still too early to declare, but If these numbers hold true in other reviews it looks like i'll be doing an ATI setup this time around. It would be nice to see 260 drop to $300, that would almost require a 280 price change as well.

Nice numbers, but wow@the power consumption and heat. Both teams are sucking and burning so to speak =p

anyone know if they use average fps or high for their charts?

When I buy my 4870, it will be from Palit. They have a history of making amazing cooling solutions for their cards, and clearly the 4800 series could use em.

Wow more performance than the 260 and $100 less to boot? Here come the Nvidia fanboys! "Red Alert! All Fanboys in Damage Control Mode now!"

On a side note, it looks like TheINQ was right about this one, for a change. R700 looks like its gonna shit all over the 280.

Looking very good for ATi if that review holds up compared to the rest.
Hope the retail cards don't reach the load temps their card showed in that review.

yeah, i was going to get the gx2 9800 and run with the rampage mobo, but it looks like i should wait for this 4780x2. looks badass

Now i can't wait to see what OCed 4850 can do and how much impact ddr5 really has.

Uh oh, this really makes me wish I hadn't jumped the gun and bought the GTX 280!!!

My order has been processed at NCIX but not shipped. I have a funny feeling if I tried to cancel it they'd shoot me down...

IF true (which I don't doubt), the funny thing is that this is not AMD/ATi's new high end card beating the 260.

Instead we have to wait for the 4870X2 in a few weeks. Now that would be interesting.

Oh wow, I expected it to compete with the 260, but i definately didn't expect it to compete and sometimes best the 280. And since when did ATI start beating NVIDIA at high AA values? Amazing.

One passage comparing the 280 to the 4870 stuck out to me in which they detailed that the 4870 delivers 80-90% of the performance for 46% of the price of the 280:eek:

Oh wow, I expected it to compete with the 260, but i definately didn't expect it to compete and sometimes best the 280. And since when did ATI start beating NVIDIA at high AA values? Amazing.
i think aa was always strong part of ati since 9000 series i think r600 changed things but r770 gives ati crown back

Looks interesting so far. Only thing I wonder is why they've chosen to stay at 512MB. I can understand having a 512MB model, but it'd seem like a 1GB model would be a good idea too, especially since RAM prices are pretty good these days and thus you could offer it for not a whole lot more.

I just worry a bit that as games get more and more texture happy, 512MB won't be enough for the highest resolution textures. Already there are games that can make use of that when cranked up.

Regardless, it looks like this round is going to be a fun one with many fast cards for all :D.

Once I get back from vacation I think I'll have to see what things are like and get a GTX or 4000.

It would be interesting to see how the 1GB version compares to the 512MB version.

TBH.. I'm really suprised the 512-bit bus width on the GTX 280 isn't giving it that huge of a performance edge over the 4870's 256-bit bus width.. Man I can't wait for the [H] review to shed some light on that..

2,199 yuan works out to just above $320 in USD. That means we can expect anywhere from $299.99 to $329.99 with the lower prices being more likely.
It would be interesting to see how the 1GB version compares to the 512MB version.
That's exactly what I'm thinking. I'm actually wondering if 1 GB will be where we see the limitations of a 256 bit bus.

TBH.. I'm really suprised the 512-bit bus width on the GTX 280 isn't giving it that huge of a performance edge over the 4870's 256-bit bus width.. Man I can't wait for the [H] review to shed some light on that..

GDDR5's nearly double the frequency of GDDR3 so the overall effective bandwidth is the same

Seeing as to how the RV770 is based on the R600, one has to wonder how R600 failed so miserably...

Wow, ATI are finally catching up by the looks of things. Large improvement over 3870.

I'm sure Nvidia will close the price gap if these are accurate benchmarks.

Again, its not the bus width that matters (256 bit vs. 512 bit), it's the total bandwidth (260=112GB/sec; 4870=115GB/sec). They realistically have the same memory bandwidth.

Personally I'm surprised ATi did so well at high resolutions w/ 4xAA etc since the test card only had 512MB memory. I thought it would have run out of space and the 260 with it's 896MB would've had the advantage.

I guess size really doesn't matter. Crap. What am I supposed to do with this, then?

All of that depends on actual architecture... different ways of addressing it, using it, etc.

[NV MODE]Canned benchmarks mean nothing, just wait for the real world gameplay benchmarks!!![/NV MODE]
*run and hide*

Looks interesting so far. Only thing I wonder is why they've chosen to stay at 512MB. I can understand having a 512MB model, but it'd seem like a 1GB model would be a good idea too, especially since RAM prices are pretty good these days and thus you could offer it for not a whole lot more.

I just worry a bit that as games get more and more texture happy, 512MB won't be enough for the highest resolution textures. Already there are games that can make use of that when cranked up.

Regardless, it looks like this round is going to be a fun one with many fast cards for all :D.

Once I get back from vacation I think I'll have to see what things are like and get a GTX or 4000.

Yeah I have the same worry about texture limitation with 512Mb, heck even doom3 was using upto 512Mb vRAM back when it was released in its "ultra" mode, with the need for more vRAM at high resolutions + AA it sounds like its going to get really tight. A 1Gb variant would definately help.

I just see the 280 being more future proof in this respect, single powerful GPU, lots of vRAM, scaleable.

Nice review but I don't think I can trust an article titled " Jedi major counterattack " lol

Some thing is broken when it comes to Lost Planet. There is no fps loss when going AA and according to them CF only raise it to 260 levels too. Probably some bug in the driver.

Overall the market for 260 at its current price is pretty much eliminated. Those who want the best will want 280 for NV (and even then the 4870 trade blows with it after hi res AA) while other who want per/$ will go 4870. Leaving 260 stranded in no man's land.

Some thing is broken when it comes to Lost Planet. There is no fps loss when going AA and according to them CF only raise it to 260 levels too. Probably some bug in the driver.

Hey, even the best isn't always perfect.

LP is biased towards Nvidia hardware more than your average TWIMTBP title.

So uh, where are you getting your GDDR5 ram prices?

Back