First 4870 review on the web

Yeah looks like ima ebay off my 9600GT's and get a 4870X2 as a back to school gift in the late summer

GO ATI! I'm glad to trade my 9800 GTX in! It's about bloody time! I'm really really excited now that I read this review. I think it's been the most complete (and also the most genuine) that I've seen to date. As people have stated this card is going to get HOT! but that's ok because I have a great case and I can always get an aftermarket cooler. I am interested in seeing what the [H] guys have to say tomorrow. Hopefully the heat issue isn't AS big of a problem as they say. Either way, AMD/ATI has a winner on their hands this time! As has been said before, WELCOME BACK ATI!!!!

Yah I am just going to wait for the 4870x2, was going to build a new rig this month, but whats another 2. Its not like anything is out right now I want to play. Come this fall though, can't wait.

gtx260 +++ edition is coming :)

lmao!

thanks OP, glad to see ATi making a come back...

I still can't say that my faith is restored in ATi, since I haven't been really impressed since my x850 :(...but I guess this is a step in the right direction

Google translation always cracks me up:

"Radeon HD 4870 graphics radiator is a Da Kuaitou" (Da Kuaitou = big mofo)

"FEAR" series of the latest information on "extreme panic: Perseus to the directive

:p

looks like there is going to be some competition for those first wave of 4870 x2's

Hell, just one HD 4870 will work fine for me now. Maybe an X2 or more down the road. Really hope these numbers are legit and ATI is back in the Game. Looking for a pre-order now.....

Already pulled the trigger on a 4850, but I'm really glad to see the 4870 holding its own at or very near the high end single-card-wise. Maybe in a couple of months when supplies are plentiful and everything has settled down...

Very nice, I'm waiting for the 4870x2. And I also want to see some more reviews that CF a 4850/70 on a P45!

Does anyone know if any ATI manufacturer (MSI, Gigabyte, Sapphire, etc) offers a step-up program like EVGA and BFG? I'm thinking of buying a 4870 now and stepping up to a R700 in 2-3 months.

i'm wondering the same thing. anyone know if there's an ATI version of evga's stepup?

I'll be getting two 4870s so when I get Crossfire results I'll let you know!

I'm speciffically interested in CF on a P45, I dunno if you saw the tweaktown review but it seems that 4850's get bottlenecked due to 8x/8x instead of 16x/16x. I just don't trust that review, so I'm waiting for others before I choose my upgrade path ;)

There is an English version of their site. This is the same article without as much commentary.

http://en.expreview.com/2008/06/24/first-review-hd-4870-and-hd-4850/

The translated one is more "detailed" though. It's up to you!

Site is really slow, guessing every ati fanatic is whackin it off to the 4870 vs whatever nvidia gpu game benches. Anyways ATI finally came around and got it together, freaking impressive numbers for the 4870 as it is now pretty much equal to the 260. I'm going to wait for the 4870x2 and then go around in cod4 / crysis warhead servers and make fun of people with nvidia cards. Nah, jk but 4870x2 is going to kick major ass.

ok lets clear something up before these cards and reviews hit the states.

We were told that the first 4870 cards would be 512M ddr3.

this review card is 512M ddr5

IF the first cards we see in the states are ddr3. AMD is really going to look bad with reviews of ddr5 clocks and cards but selling ddr3 cards.

Or even reviews here of ddr3 and everyone saying yep the card is crap and these other sites were just lies.

This could be a big mess real quick.

IF the first cards we see in the states are ddr3. AMD is really going to look bad with reviews of ddr5 clocks and cards but selling ddr3 cards.

Or even reviews here of ddr3 and everyone saying yep the card is crap and these other sites were just lies.

4870 was never rumored to be DDR3 IIRC

You're right. I didn't thought of that yet. I hope they handle this well, it could have a negative impact. Maybe I'm missing something but couldn't they have named a DDR5 card just 4890 to avoid confusion?

EDIT: I could have sworn there would be a DDR3 version of the 4870 as well. I guess I was wrong.

Are the power consumption numbers correct??

how is it drawing more power than the 3870x2 and 9800gx2 under load. seems very odd to me, I thought they specified power requirements similar to a 9800gtx .

Other than that, this card seems like a great deal, can't wait to see more benches.

Look at the jump in performance from the 9800GTX to the 9800GX2. It's impressive.

Imagine that with the 4870, but with better technology.

If the 4870X2 really is going to have 2GB GDDR5 that pretty much eliminates the idea that the memory is shared. Even so, I'm esctatic that there will be at least 1GB of usable vram on it. I can definitely see this being my next card.

Are the power consumption numbers correct??

how is it drawing more power than the 3870x2 and 9800gx2 under load. seems very odd to me, I thought they specified power requirements similar to a 9800gtx .

Other than that, this card seems like a great deal, can't wait to see more benches.

Yeah, I was a bit concerned about that too, that and the heat! However, my guess is that [H] tomorrow will have a nice thorough review and I'll trust their heat and power consumption numbers a lot more than the ones we read today.

I noticed something too....isn't it already tomorrow in China? So that should mean that we should see more and more legit reviews roll out today with the US being the latter end of all that. Just a question for the [H] guys, will this be out tonight, as in midnight? Technically speaking it's the 25th at 12:00 AM ;)

4870 will cost no less than $370 until it becomes more widely available around July 8th.

Common 4870 X2!! Lets go, I need you now...

Must play crysis on 24' widescreen.....!

4870 will cost no less than $370 until it becomes more widely available around July 8th.

The 4850 is currently selling well under MSRP so I doubt the 4870 will sell over MSRP. There isn't a shortage of 4850s so I doubt there will be a shortage of 4870s.

The 4850 is currently selling well under MSRP so I doubt the 4870 will sell over MSRP. There isn't a shortage of 4850s so I doubt there will be a shortage of 4870s.

Nah, there have been numerous postings already stating otherwise. There are very few cards ready for launch, so don't expect anything close to MSRP for the 4870 until at least a couple weeks.

I already inquired about it and $370 was the price given to me.

If the 4870X2 really is going to have 2GB GDDR5 that pretty much eliminates the idea that the memory is shared. Even so, I'm esctatic that there will be at least 1GB of usable vram on it. I can definitely see this being my next card.

Yes, 2gb GDDR5 per card also pretty much eliminates the idea that this will be available anytime this summer...

Nah, there have been numerous postings already stating otherwise. There are very few cards ready for launch, so don't expect anything close to MSRP for the 4870 until at least a couple weeks.

I already inquired about it and $370 was the price given to me.

I don't know where you checked, but I just checked with the local place here and they said that they can get them for me for $299 like they've been saying all along.

LOL!

That was a fast about-face from one of the biggest nVidia proponents I've seen for this round of GPU wars!

Back