Did you update to 3.21

• Yes

Votes: 58 59.2%
  • No

Votes: 22 22.4%
  • Hesitant

Votes: 18 18.4%

• Total voters
Just updated. I don't really know what's been added or removed aside from the linux support. Everything is okay on my slim.

My "chubby" PS3 died 3 days ago via YLOD. No go on the heat-gun method, oven trick. Kinda pissed, but the weathers warmer, so I'm going to be doing things outside.

same here ylod a few weeks ago, otherwise i would have updated

I use linux from time to time (just to mess around with really)... so I'm going to wait until I absolutely have to.

nintendo does the same thing on the wii. If you don't upgrade, no shop channel, etc. etc. The community finds a work-around. I will upgrade today. I have no interest in running Linux on it anyway.

Being that I never had the feature to begin with, I updated this morning.

man i still have my 60gig phat ps3 and still going strong.. any game i throw at it.. GoW3, FF13, Uncharted.. etc..

Mine is an original 20gb fatty. Didn't start having problems till right before this last Christmas, ever since the first YLOD, after each reflow it lasts about 2 or 3 weeks. Sigh. Your number will come ;)

I've downloaded and copied it to my flash drive. I'll update this evening.

I will update my slim, (no change really) but I will hold off on my fatty that is in semi-retiremnnt in the basement gym working as a HTPC.

I did mainly because I have no plans to ever run Linux on it. no big deal for me.
In addition to that, I noticed a new "trailer" listing under videos. Pretty neat I guess...not sure if that was there before.

I'll be updating later tonight. I've never ran linux on my desktop, let alone on my PS3.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

I would like to hold off in the off chance they manage to hack the feature for HTPC use. With playoffs coming up though I'm sure I'll get the itch to play some online hockey so I imagine I'll update within the week.

I'll wait for a hack because I don't like features taken away from me and I have the original $600 60GB system. Worst case I'll just buy a slim to play online.

Did not update, but I am online, it's easy to bypass firmware check if you have some time. If you are using dd-wrt firmware on your router, it's easy to add dnsmasq to point to the firmware check address to resolve to your own server, where you can upload the old firmware check.

Assuming your webserver is actually serving some sites, then all you have to do is create an apache virtual host with wildcard serveralias to point to a document root where you would serve the old update list.if you are using a local virtual server, then it's even easier, just upload the file to your /var/www folder and you are done, no apache config is needed.

There is this dns server floating around the net to bypass firmware check, but I don't trust it, very dangerous to use an unknown dns server, so please try not to go that way.

If you have a slim, there's no reason not to update.

i updated but... after i updated experienced some wierd picture distortion. but after turning it off and powering it back on... fixed itself. wierd though. it was when i was playing ffxiii

I'll wait for a hack because I don't like features taken away from me and I have the original $600 60GB system. Worst case I'll just buy a slim to play online.

So a feature you don't use is worth 300 bucks? I can see skipping the update if you're using your box for some sort of Linux application, but otherwise I can't see spending money to get around it.

If you have a slim, there's no reason not to update.

Why is this? I have a slim, and I never used that otherOS feature, or even thought about it. I take it that it's not available on slims?

Either way I updated.

I updated. No issues so far. Never had any interest in the linux support.

Here's the change log:

The [Install Other OS] and [Default System] features have been deleted.

The playback quality of some PlayStation® format software that is downloaded (as a purchase or for free) from PlayStation®Store has been improved.

A security patch was added to address security vulnerabilities that may occur when playing MP4 format video files.

Why is this? I have a slim, and I never used that otherOS feature, or even thought about it. I take it that it's not available on slims?

Either way I updated.
As loco stated, it was never there. ;)

Did not update, but I am online, it's easy to bypass firmware check if you have some time. If you are using dd-wrt firmware on your router, it's easy to add dnsmasq to point to the firmware check address to resolve to your own server, where you can upload the old firmware check.

Assuming your webserver is actually serving some sites, then all you have to do is create an apache virtual host with wildcard serveralias to point to a document root where you would serve the old update list.if you are using a local virtual server, then it's even easier, just upload the file to your /var/www folder and you are done, no apache config is needed.

There is this dns server floating around the net to bypass firmware check, but I don't trust it, very dangerous to use an unknown dns server, so please try not to go that way.

I also do not update and still able to get online :D I used a tool called Logan5's tool/2009 to run a proxy on my PC which is able to bypass the firmware check on my PS3.

I haven't. I don't use Linux but will hold out as long as possible in the remote chance a hacker makes a custom fw retaining other o/s, and the systems with rare pre 3.21 fw suddenly become valuable.

Back