Firingsquad's Anti-Nintendo Writer: they will be #1 this round

as excited as i am about the revo... i'm tired of all the articles talking about it lol.. till i find out more info about the actual system and not some speculation crap... I'm a bit tired of what the press is saying about it..

You're right, in that the press has been talking a LOT about this system lately... and always with positive things to say. Which I think is really weird, since the press has always been against Nintendo. This writer included.

steviep said:
You're right, in that the press has been talking a LOT about this system lately... and always with positive things to say. Which I think is really weird, since the press has always been against Nintendo. This writer included.

that maybe true.. but it doesn't mean crap to me....

i just want to see the thing in action with real games.. or real games that are in development... till then.. nothing else with change my thoghts on the system (which are godo over all.. except one thing.. but yea)

One thing? Anyway, you'll be waiting until E3 unless someone leaks something. Nintendo doesn't play Sony/MS' game of CGI enhanced screens, which is both a good thing and a bad thing. Neither do they play their E-penis specs game, and they never have. We're all awaiting anxiously until E3 to finally see the damn thing in action... Until then, these press reports are all the information we get :p

im still betting on a secret console by SEGA.... it will destroy all other computing devices!!! hehe

steviep said:
One thing? Anyway, you'll be waiting until E3 unless someone leaks something. Nintendo doesn't play Sony/MS' game of CGI enhanced screens, which is both a good thing and a bad thing. Neither do they play their E-penis specs game, and they never have. We're all awaiting anxiously until E3 to finally see the damn thing in action... Until then, these press reports are all the information we get :p

Where are the MS CGI enhanced screens? If any they are few and far between. About the only thing I can think of was the Madden video, which was clearly stated to be a CGI render...which the actual game comes pretty close to.

steviep said:

yea i see where you're coming from.... blweh.. E3 is toooooo far

Erasmus354 said:
Where are the MS CGI enhanced screens? If any they are few and far between. About the only thing I can think of was the Madden video, which was clearly stated to be a CGI render...which the actual game comes pretty close to.

Oh you're right... Sony's far more abusive with its promises and CGI enhanced crap ("emotion engine!!" :rolleyes: ). But do yourself a favour and go look at some of the screens of the NBA titles, and PGR 3 screens that didn't have jaggies, and other such incidents prior to launch. Some games did end up looking ALMOST as good, or looked as good but had no AA/AF, etc etc, and other disappointed. But it doesn't change the fact that they were rendered.

But if you were to compare the 2 companies, MS is certainly more of a straight shooter than Sony ever has been. Neither of them are as honest as Nintendo's been, though, especially in front of the scenes... A lot became better behind the scenes as well, with the departure of the hard-headed Yamauchi.

PS I wish Sega would release another console too... they were a great company. The feud between Sega and Nintendo produced some of the best games ever, since they always strived to one up eachother. Not like the crap that is the industry today, and the stagnation that has happened thanks to certain other companies.

steviep said:
PS I wish Sega would release another console too... they were a great company. The feud between Sega and Nintendo produced some of the best games ever, since they always strived to one up eachother. Not like the crap that is the industry today, and the stagnation that has happened thanks to certain other companies.

QFT

Good article too

steviep said:
Oh you're right... Sony's far more abusive with its promises and CGI enhanced crap ("emotion engine!!" :rolleyes: ). But do yourself a favour and go look at some of the screens of the NBA titles, and PGR 3 screens that didn't have jaggies, and other such incidents prior to launch. Some games did end up looking ALMOST as good, or looked as good but had no AA/AF, etc etc, and other disappointed. But it doesn't change the fact that they were rendered.

But if you were to compare the 2 companies, MS is certainly more of a straight shooter than Sony ever has been. Neither of them are as honest as Nintendo's been, though, especially in front of the scenes... A lot became better behind the scenes as well, with the departure of the hard-headed Yamauchi.

PGR3 matches if not exceeds any of the screenshots I saw for it. The NBA games do as well, although the gameplay is oh so god awful.

How would a game not live up to its screen shots? They are screenshots of the game... lol. The CGI fake that stands out in my mind is the basketball one with the sweat and everything.

ScreamingBroccoli said:
How would a game not live up to its screen shots? They are screenshots of the game... lol. The CGI fake that stands out in my mind is the basketball one with the sweat and everything.

Have you played the game? It actually does have sweat and everything and looks just like the screen, unfortunately as a side effect of playable game angles you only notice it on replays or closeup situations like free throws.

Sorry, but if I don't listen to Firingsquad on a regular basis, I'm not going to listen to a guy that thinks a Nintendo console is the solution to stagnation and sequelitis, especially when he offers the PC market as evidence of stagnation. Sorry, buddy, but my consoles have yet to stagnate, and show no signs of doing so in 2006 and beyond.

ScreamingBroccoli said:
Yes, but the commercial for the game never showed any of the real graphics for it (much like the madden trailer)

man many games show CGI footage in commercials...regardless the footage in the commercial IS from the game.

Terpfen said:
Sorry, but if I don't listen to Firingsquad on a regular basis, I'm not going to listen to a guy that thinks a Nintendo console is the solution to stagnation and sequelitis, especially when he offers the PC market as evidence of stagnation. Sorry, buddy, but my consoles have yet to stagnate, and show no signs of doing so in 2006 and beyond.

You honestly don't think that gaming is stagnating??!!!! Question: do you own a DS?

man many games show CGI footage in commercials...

Yeah? And how many of Nintendo's game commercials show CGI?

steviep said:
You honestly don't think that gaming is stagnating??!!!! Question: do you own a DS?

Yes, I do own a DS. Let's examine some if its bigger-name titles...

Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow -- an excellent game, but it's Yet Another Castlevania In The Mold Of SOTN.
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney -- a direct remake of Gyakuten Saiban, a GBA game that was never released here (nor were its 2 sequels.) Not that I'm criticising its gameplay: this is the best DS game available. But it sure isn't new.
Advance Wars DS -- a sequel to the GBA game.
Mario Kart DS -- another sequel. It doesn't even take advantage of the touch screen during gameplay.
Super Mario 64 DS -- they added content, but it's still a port.
Animal Crossing DS -- while I admit I haven't played this or Animal Crossing on GC, ACDS is still nothing more than AC 2.

Sorry, Trauma Center does not cancel everything else out. And Nintendo is still not forgiven for releasing Metroid Pinball and Pokemon Dash. The DS is a nice handheld, but it's not somehow proof that the gaming industry is stagnating.

Now, the PC market is truly pathetic, for the exact reasons the article states at the bottom of the first page. But this in no way carries over to the console market, which is having some of its best years right now, across nearly every platform available. Offhand, I can think of just one PC game I'm looking forward to (Supreme Commander) while I can think of about 10 games on the PS2 alone that I'm looking forward to.

When some reviewer begins complaining about how gaming is stagnating, two things come to mind. One, if games suck so bad, explain the consistent numbers of high scores being thrown out by review mags/sites everywhere. Just look at Game Rankings to see what I mean. Two, reviewers do not have the luxury of avoiding crappy games: they have to play them so they can review them and proclaim their crappiness. This most definitely colors their perception about the state of gaming. There are always going to be bad games, but don't tell me that the overall quality of the good games is declining.

Torgo said:

Oh, I've seen that thread, actually. If you ignore the captions with each game's title, you'd have a difficult time telling many of those games apart, especially those in the same genre. How many Greco-Roman RTS games do we need?

Sorry, the only PC game I'm getting in 2006 is Supreme Commander, and even then I'm only going to buy it if it'll run on my laptop's Mobility Radeon X300.

Terpfen said:
How many Greco-Roman RTS games do we need?
As Oprah would say, "Oh no you didn'!" You do realize who you're talking to right? ;)

steviep said:

Yeah? And how many of Nintendo's game commercials show CGI?
Ok, ok, I've only got the one!

How many Nintendo commercials do you SEE!

j/k... but not really. The last N commercial I saw was I think for Metroid Prime and it was in a movie theatre.

I've complained before about the new game commercials though. The new COD games, both 2 and Big Red 1 were 100% CGI that showed nothing even similar to actual gameplay.

Torgo said:
As Oprah would say, "Oh no you didn'!" You do realize who you're talking to right? ;)

Hahahahaha. I know, I know. But Age of Empires II wasn't exactly in the same setting as Caesar IV and the other similar titles in that thread. And everyone knows chariots are useless when going up against my Byzantines' walls...

Terpfen said:
Animal Crossing DS -- while I admit I haven't played this or Animal Crossing on GC, ACDS is still nothing more than AC 2.

just an FYI.. nintendo has said millions of time.. that AC for the DS is the sequal to the gamecube versin..

I'd also like to add.. that i do not think the game industry is stagnating either...

Kahnvex said:
I've complained before about the new game commercials though. The new COD games, both 2 and Big Red 1 were 100% CGI that showed nothing even similar to actual gameplay.

yeah i hate those CGI commertials as well..

I do think its stagnating. If you've read the article, its writer seems to think so too. And he doesn't LIKE Nintendo.

Terpfen, btw... there are a LOT of original games on the DS. A shitload more than on the competition, that's for sure. I've had the most fun playing my DS than I've had on either of my recent consoles lately, in a long while, and I'm quite picky with my games.

steviep said:
I do think its stagnating. If you've read the article, its writer seems to think so too. And he doesn't LIKE Nintendo.

Terpfen, btw... there are a LOT of original games on the DS. A shitload more than on the competition, that's for sure. I've had the most fun playing my DS than I've had on either of my recent consoles lately, in a long while, and I'm quite picky with my games.

i guess it depends how much you play.. cause i don't play much...like i said i only buy a few games a year (most used.. or in the $20 range).. and i'm always satisfied..

i'm sure the casual gamer doesn't think it's stagnating either.. cause they don't care... they only play every so often...

steviep said:

So, how is the industry stagnating, then? There's a difference between sequelitis (which Capcom has arguably pioneered, yet still manages to make each sequel fun) and stagnation. What do you think I'm missing?

That's fine. But the DS' game selection is not somehow proof that the rest of the industry is stagnant. I'm not saying things couldn't be better--publishers need to start taking risks, instead of needing games to be explained to them in terms of "well, company X did this, company Y did that, we're just combining those features"--but things have been pretty damn good the past couple of years, and 2006 looks even better.

In terms of stagnation, I would only say that certain Genres have done so. FPS being the one that comes readily to mind.

I really don't feel anything stagnating because of the sheer variety of my tastes. I like so many different types of games, and there are so many I haven't played that I can always find something to like. (PC or Console)

ScreamingBroccoli said:
But there is real time sweat in both basketball games.

Good article and agree with almost all of his points.

I don't know for sure if Nintendo will "win" this console generation

but the Rev is the only one I'm certain to buy.

Something that offers a new perspective on games. Rev + PC and I'll be set. :)

I'm in the same boat. If the Rev + PC can offer me all that I want, I will stick with it since I will obviously have both. I still may buy a PS3/X360, though, depending on which one ends up being better. But I'm paying nowhere near the price they want for it, so it will be a while before I get either.

The guy in the article does make a lot of good points, though. And yes, Kahnvex, FPS titles are most certainly one of the genres that has turned to shite lately. Someone needs to freshen them up, like Rare did back in the mid-90's with Goldeneye. Of course, we can't expect Rare to make any good games anymore... but that's another thread :p

FPS titles are most certainly one of the genres that has turned to shite lately. Someone needs to freshen them up

Really? and how are they going to do that. It's a First .. Person .. Shooter, not much room for change their. Stick a good story on it and there you go. But I'm sure someone on hear would complain that a FPS with a good story was just a HL clone and thus another example of the industry stagnating. :rolleyes:

cb9fl said:
Really? and how are they going to do that. It's a First .. Person .. Shooter, not much room for change their. Stick a good story on it and there you go. But I'm sure someone on hear would complain that a FPS with a good story was just a HL clone and thus another example of the industry stagnating. :rolleyes:

LOL!! good point..

yea.. i don't know.. If the FPS has an awesome story line.. i don't care it it plays like FPS 10001

Someone needs to pop in here and scream random racist fanb0i shit. Should it be me? :confused:

Back