FireWire PCMCIA Card $24 or $56 - Does it matter?

PacknHeat

Limp Gawd
I need to add FireWire to my DELL 600m.
These PCMCIA cards have a wide price range. Yes, some have 3 ports and some have 2. But has anyone had trouble with a cheap ($) one? $24 is the lowest I can find. When I see the ones for around $50 I would rather spring for one that has both FireWire and USB.
Just wondering if anyone has had problems with the cheaper brand.

Thanks for any advise. :)

http://www.sewelldirect.com/FireWirePCMCIACard.asp?s=google&a=FW_PCMCIA

I'm interested in this question as well. Why the hell didn't dell include firewire with the 600M? WTF?

Originally posted by NleahciM
I'm interested in this question as well. Why the hell didn't dell include firewire with the 600M? WTF?

firewire isnt integrated in the 600m motherboard, so it would require an additional chip ($$$).

i too would like to hear opinins on this question!

I have had problems (on desktops) with VIA firewire controllers. Different problems, very slow transfers, disconnects and straight up not working. I have never had a problem with a TI controller. The TI controllers are almost always more expensive, but worth every penny. I would assume the same differences apply in mobile parts as well.

Originally posted by olaf2821
I have had problems (on desktops) with VIA firewire controllers. Different problems, very slow transfers, disconnects and straight up not working. I have never had a problem with a TI controller. The TI controllers are almost always more expensive, but worth every penny. I would assume the same differences apply in mobile parts as well.

That would make sense as TI invented firewire. I think... :confused:

I would go with the vanilla firewire cable as I believe the 600m has USB 2.

Lemme guess... iPod?

Originally posted by OutOfGum
I would go with the vanilla firewire cable as I believe the 600m has USB 2.

Lemme guess... iPod?

600M has usb2.0. What's the vanilla firewire cable?

Back