Firewall??

Maverick986

Weaksauce
Looking for suggestions on a firewall for my vista ultimate x64. I'm planning on using NOD32 but want a firewall to go along with it....mostly because I don't totally trust windows firewall...I've found iolo personal firewall I'm not sure how good this one is, but from what I've seen its about the only just firewall out there......is there something else I should be looking at? a better firewall???

Comodo is gaining momentum as being one of the top free firewalls out there. Right now their official release does not support Vista..but they've had a BETA out for a while now..reports over at WildersSecurity forums are liking it, and it should become officially released very soon.

Zone Alarm is also free..but I can't stand it, I've seen it historically create so many problems on PCs

PCTools
Jetico
Outpost

Comodo is gaining momentum as being one of the top free firewalls out there. Right now their official release does not support Vista..but they've had a BETA out for a while now..reports over at WildersSecurity forums are liking it, and it should become officially released very soon.

Zone Alarm is also free..but I can't stand it, I've seen it historically create so many problems on PCs

PCTools
Jetico
Outpost

I took a look at what was suggested, and from what I see is that Comodo seems to be the best that is free...I'm not too worried about having to pay for one....so is Comodo the best out there? Or is there one better that I would have to pay for?

I do agree with the comment about ZA....I've tried using it the past and found more frustration with the program than it is worth....

I took a look at what was suggested, and from what I see is that Comodo seems to be the best that is free...I'm not too worried about having to pay for one....so is Comodo the best out there? Or is there one better that I would have to pay for?

"Best out there" will end up in fanboy debates until eternity.

Comodo is one of the more well liked ones, quite lightweight, easy GUI, I've used it...however I'm not a fan of software firewalls in general, I'll take my NAT and stick with that. When out in the world with my laptop on wireless...the Windows firewall is fine for me, blocking incoming is all that I care about.

I second Comodo, a superb Firewall that also has HIPS features.

Not to sound to n00bish......but what are HIPS features??

Host Based Intrusion Prevention System

edit: to clarify, there are network intrusion prevention systems (NIPS) which would be like a firewall device and there are host based intrusion prevention systems...ie the IPS resides on the host machine as software (Comodo being a very good one)

I checked out System Safety Monitor, but i didn't see anywhere if it compatible with vista x64......is it??

Sorry, I didnt think to check for Vista 64 support.
Sadly it only supports Vista 32.

Vista does have some of the features built into the OS.
ie for each new or changed executable you will be asked if it is allowed to run so nothing new can run without your consent.

impressive, but why not setup a linux network firewall in front of your system with NIPS?

leet :cool:

Due to power consumption when run 24/7, the UK isnt that cheap.
I'm looking at using a VM to run smoothwall or the like but am drifting towards an embedded PC solution now as they are pretty cheap and very good on power.

You might check out some of the Soekris hardware. Use that with a distro you can run off a compact flash device and it's fairly light on power usage.

Due to power consumption when run 24/7, the UK isnt that cheap.
I'm looking at using a VM to run smoothwall or the like but am drifting towards an embedded PC solution now as they are pretty cheap and very good on power.

I have Untangle setup on that at home. Untangle.com awesome linux router distro.

Only downside with Untangle is it's got fairly hefty system requirements compared to most linux distro firewalls.

For UTM distros....another similar one is Endian...it's quite similar in horsepower needs. These days...a minimum of a P3 1.0GHz isn't really "hefty" anymore. Upper P3 and early P4 rigs are "old" these days, scrap parts.

These do heavy duty transparent proxy duties..much more than the basic linux distros which really aren't much more than just a NAT router. You have antivirus scrubbing, antispam scrubbing, browser malware prevention, etc.

Back