Firewall recomendation

RayDaddy

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi. Please help me choose a firewall. I have a Netopia Cayman 3500 DSL modem, 2 Dell power connect 2724 switches(hubs) and a dell 2824 server with about 28 clients on it. I need the easiest good quality Firewall to set up that I can get for this system.

We have about 10 people who will connect via vpn.

let's say around a grand.

VPN speed is a big concern as well. so the faster the better. I just need something easy to set up initially that has a good feature set and good tech support.

Your Netopia has NAT built in...with 2x options last I worked on on....Clear Sailing, and Silent running. So you're already protected from the outside world.

Or are you looking for a software firewall that does outbound? Do you already have a managed antivirus suite? If so..I'd upgrade to their full AV + FW suite.

Anything going on servers? Or is this just for workstations?

I want to use it as more of a gateway for the entire system and for vpn access. Mostly for VPN access though. we already run Symantec endpoint 11.

it is for my boss to have peace of mind that he has a second level of protection in place before his system and for VPN access

does that help maybe calling it a firewall is not exaclty right

It would sit at the head of the line after the modem but before the server and the network

we have 28 clients and a server

My boss will want to access and manipulate the server, the other vpn users are just file users to read and manipulate thier folders on the server that thier accounts allow them access to.

I have had great success with the Fortinet models. There are several to be had at the price range you are looking for.

http://www.fortinet.com/products/

These are firewall appliances with IPSEC, PPTP, and SSL VPN access on all models. They have subsription services too like antivirus, content filtering, spam, and IDS. All the fortinets come with a trial subsription for these services. And yes the services do run on the fortinet itself.

We have them deployed here at work which is gov, and also four remote sites using fortinet products too. Very solid products.

Ahh...for controlling VPN access. My vote is for Juniper....such as their SA700 SSL VPN box. Great unit...and fantastic support.

I will take a a look. what I need is something that is not to hard to set up. Although I am a system builder and get it and am no noob. This is new for me and the easier the interface and setup the better. I can get more advanced later.

ok I amlooking at the Juniper device. can you give me any idea what kind of speed you can get out of this thing remote network wise? we get 10ms now

How does this device work then? you go to a created url or something and then add username and password?

THe whole nat thing is nice cause that is the problem I am having now with the Symantec 1620 I have now. it is too much hassle and super slow

Juniper SSG. A SSG5 would be plenty for you, a 20 may be out of your price limit.

so then does the Juniper device jsut control access?

Or is there a security component to it? or does it just provide secure access?

what kind of speed can you get as far as the vpn connection?

Can you run virtual desktop off it to manipulate the server?

I am a Secure computing, Sidewinder Firewall fanboi.

So that would be my choice, pretty good product used by many a govt agency

Do you think the 110 would cover me? I have 6 users at most and need one to have 2 to have full access to manipulate the server.

Back