Firewall, anti-spyware, ect. advice

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Lazarey, Dec 29, 2006.

1. Lazarey

Lazarey Gawd

I am getting a new PC from Velocity Micro in a few days and it is not configured with any anti-virus, anti-spyware, ect. I will not want to get on the internet with it until I have some good protection software installed.
    I was hoping that I could get some advice on what to get! I am planning on using Firefox with it (that's what I use now). I do not mind paying for the programs if they are going to be a lot better (since I can't afford to have anything happen to this computer), but if there is something for free that is good, well then that would be even better!
    In case it matters I have dial-up internet but I hope to get high-speed soon.
    Specs on my new PC are in my signature if you need them.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide!

P.S. I posted another thread like this a while back, but I didn't get much advice on Firewalls and anti-spyware. Lots of advice on anti-virus though. NOD32 and Kaspersky seemed to be most popular (care to comment?).

2. FanZ

FanZ [H]ard|Gawd

for firewall, i just use the zonealarm basic, which is good enough for me. then again, i'm in college and poor so i try not to use anything that requires me to pay.

for spyware, hijackthis, adaware, spybot, spysweeper - just for the immunization feature for free, and whichever's the latest microsoft one.

antivirus, kaspersky or nod32. nod32's better.. i think. or you can go the cheap way like me and get the free AVG. which isnt nearly as good as the paid ones, but it works well for a free edition.

3. YARDofSTUF

YARDofSTUF [H]ard|Gawd

Windows firewall

ccleaner
    spywareblaster
    spybot
    super antispyware
    adaware
    windows defender

nod32

4. Farva

Farva [H]ard as it Gets

I'll second those.

Also, if you want a pretty good free anti-virus, get Avast, otherwise, Nod32 is still my choice.

Ewido for spyware too.

I've been out of the software firewall game for quite some time now, and nothing really catches my fancy either.

5. bbz_Ghost

bbz_Ghost 2[H]4U

If you just bought that computer from an OEM (Velocity) you should qualify for the Vista Express Upgrade also. You might consider basing your purchases on Vista if you ever intend to run it - and if you get the upgrade for free or for a small shipping & handling charge, make sure to take advantage of it.

6. gobygoby

gobygoby Limp Gawd

I just picked up a few new copies of McAfee Internet security for like 12.99 each on ebay. thats pretty cheap!

7. Team Obi Juan

Team Obi Juan Your Local Postmaster

Windows firewall

Spypot
    Adaware

AVG Free

Is how I roll.

EDIT: I'm also behind a router...

8. digital_exhaust

digital_exhaust [H]ard|DCer of the Month - May 2008

No.

NOD32

Yes.

EDIT... Router here as well.

9. Farva

Farva [H]ard as it Gets

That is a terrible product. It is actually rates one of the worst anti-virus products out there (if you even want to qualify it as anti-virus software).

10. Team Obi Juan

Oh forgot to mention. CCleaner isn't necessarily a piece of anti spyware, but it's freakin awesome.

11. Farva

Farva [H]ard as it Gets

And much easier than trying to find it in the registry.

12. YARDofSTUF

YARDofSTUF [H]ard|Gawd

True, best to run it first then do the adware scanes, less junk to scan.

13. Team Obi Juan

My gf's friend always is coming to me to help fix her laptop that "Just starts slowing down."

I do this not necessarily in this order

Install, update and run adaware
    Install, update and run spybot
    Install, update and run AVG free
    Install, update and run CCleaner

Then I do adaware, spybot, and ccleaner again.

Next thing I know,

"you're the best!"

lol.

14. punkkloser

punkkloser n00b

Kaspersky,it will destroy adware,and blows away all other av's. get the suite with firewall, or use good ol' sygate like i do

15. Farva

Farva [H]ard as it Gets

Where do you have your evidence Kapersky will beat Nod32? AV-Comparatives shows which AV is the best. A graph as well.

16. ElvisG

ElvisG Limp Gawd

That graph is useless because it's from eset. I see that AntiViri is among the top according to AV-Comparatives. My setup is this.

Router -> Sygate -> AntiViri -> whateverspyware

I do online virus scans once ever two to three months. I haven't had a issue with virus in a long time but yet I have good downloading habits.

17. Cheetoz

Cheetoz [H]ard|Gawd

everyone always forgets their HIPS! (host-based intrusion-prevention system)

i like to go here for my security discussions www.wilderssecurity.com

18. Lazarey

Lazarey Gawd

I've never had high-speed internet (though I hope to get it in the near future), so could someone tell me what a router is and how it protects you?

Also, thanks so much to everyone who posted (not to discourage anyone else from posting, I would be happy to read more people's opinions!)!

19. Farva

Farva [H]ard as it Gets

Did you even read the paragraphs? Those graphs were provided by AV-Comparatives, not Eset.

20. digital_exhaust

A router is a device that allows you to share a single conection with several machines.

21. bbz_Ghost

bbz_Ghost 2[H]4U

Wow... I mean... wow.

Anyway, a router is a device that takes TCP/IP traffic and "routes" it between destinations. If you have an Internet connection, most likely a high speed one hopefully, and you have several machines that would like to share that connection, the router allows you that ability as follows:

It takes the connection from your ISP be it cable or DSL and "splits" it internally using a method known as NAT or Network Address Translation. What this means is that your "address" on the Internet, your public IP (Internet Protocol) address is unique to you and you alone. Not other machine on the entire Internet worldwide will have that same public IP address.

Since you may have a cable or DSL connection, with just one address, then you wonder "How can I have multiple addresses or multiple computers connected to the same single public IP?" and that's where NAT works its magic.

NAT will create a private network and then create non-public IP addresses for the machines inside your local area network - meaning the machines that are connected to the router itself. Could be 1, 2, 4, 8, etc; it all depends on how many machines you have and how many ports the router has - you can always expand on that capability with a router capable of more connections, or a second router etc, but that gets complicated so we'll just stick to the example I'm providing.

NAT gives each of your "internal" machines their own non-public IP address, ones that aren't publicly visible nor publicly routable.

Now, what happens is say your machine has a non-public IP of 192.168.0.100 (the 192.168.*.* range is just one of several non-public non-routable ranges), and maybe another PC in your house has the 192.168.0.101 address. If your machine sends out a request to the Internet for data, like a web page or whatever, the router keeps track of which machine requested the data and when it returns, when the request is fulfilled, the router says "Ok, machine 192.168.0.100 requested this, so I'll send it to that machine since it's expecting it."

Works like a mailman, in a way. A mailman takes the mail from your box that's outgoing to whatever destinations, etc. When the incoming stuff returns, the mailman looks at the address on the mail and delivers it to the proper address - sorta, and hopefully. :)

That's how you can have multiple machines sharing the same connection by using a router, with NAT. NAT also has another nickname that some people here more often: ICS, or Internet Connection Sharing. ICS is just a small feature set of what NAT is truly capable of, but ICS offers just enough capability to be popular in most home networking situations.

Hope this helps... the Internet as we know it today would not be possible without routers, which were invented by the husband and wife that started Cisco Systems years ago.

22. onetwenty8k

onetwenty8k 2[H]4U

I don't use an anti virus and I'm not infected, but then again, this route is not for all.

In my opinion, just be smart about what you download, use Kaspersky and you should be fine.

23. MrWizard6600

MrWizard6600 [H]ardness Supreme

NOD 32
    AVG
    Windows defender

all excellent prgrams. Spyware docter I was going to list, but it is often over zellous, lost Sak_Setup 906 (a setup file for a game called ragnarok, COMPLETE pain in the ass to get a copy of) be cause Spydoc deemed it a threat.

24. Lazarey

Lazarey Gawd

bbz_Ghost, thank you so much for taking the time to explain this to me!

If I could ask you one more question, why have people posted that they are
    "behind a router"? Does it help with your internet security?

25. bbz_Ghost

bbz_Ghost 2[H]4U

"behind a router" typically means just that: your computer is inside your house connected to the router, which means the router is the middle man in your connection.

The three parts are:

Your ISP connection (including the cable or DSL modem) >>> router >>> any of the computers in your house

So "behind a router" means you're the last link(s) in the data path. Really what the implication of "behind a router" means is that most routers nowadays also do double duty as a firewall which is designed to prevent unauthorized traffic from coming into your local area network (LAN, the machines "behind the router") and also to prevent data from getting out in case you're infected with spyware/malware/trojans, etc.

So, "behind a router/firewall" is what the implication... well... implies. :)

26. digital_exhaust

That sir is one hell of an explaination. Nice job.

And, just out of curiousity, what was the "Wow... I mean... wow." all about? Because honestly, it's obvious you knew the answer, so what's the wow for? Just amazed that somebody asked the question, or what?:rolleyes:

27. BoogerBomb

BoogerBomb [H]ardness Supreme

I have a question along these lines so i'll put it here.

I have been using ewido for a while now and see that Grisoft bought them and its now part of the AVG quite. Is this a bad thing? Ewido seemed to be working just fine along with spybot.

28. Lazarey

Lazarey Gawd

Once again, thank you for writing such a thorough reply! I understood what "behind a router" meant as far as being the "last link in the data process" (as you said). Thanks for taking the time to explain it though! What I didn't know, was how that affected security. Thank you for clearing this up for me!

29. bbz_Ghost

bbz_Ghost 2[H]4U

Honestly, the "Wow... I mean... wow." part was because he asked what a router was, and you told him... and that was it. :D It was obvious to me he was asking for a bit more than "What's a router?" so, when you answered just that and only that, it was surprising that you didn't go into more depth, soooo... I kinda half-expected a typical "Google it..." answer, but you didn't do that - you told him what a router was, and nothing more, soooo...

I'm just weird, I guess. :D

30. Lazarey

Lazarey Gawd

You are exactly right bbz_Ghost. I did want to know more.

I personally do not think it weird in the slightest to provide someone with a thorough explaination.

Not that I'm ungrateful for your answer digital_exhaust.

31. rblews

rblews Limp Gawd

Firewalls are unecessary with the following: (1) Adaware real time monitoring protection running at all times; and (2) CounterSpy real time monitoring protection running at all times; AVG antivirous (pd version with all the updates) and (4) common sense internet/downloading usage. I find firewalls to be a pain in the ass, especially when doing a lot of BitComet type file sharing. I have yet to get a virous, or any type of spyware other than a harmless cookie. I think most PC users are a bunch of paranoid sheep looking for direction, in lieu of using common sense.

32. Farva

Farva [H]ard as it Gets

This is the stupidest thing I've read in a long time. So I assume when a company uses 4k+ Cisco firewalls and get attacked (well, at least sniffed) daily, a properly configured firewall will prevent unwanted attention. If you do not want to run a firewall, go right ahead, but take responsibility for your actions. Also, please to not get hijacked and become part of a botnet. I do not want my network taken down.

If you do not know how to properly setup a firewall, get someone who knows how to do it for you and give them a beer for their trouble. Being a friend of a true IT guy will save your ass in the future.

I think this picture is appropriate for when your computer gets hosed.

[​IMG]

33. hugo

hugo [H]Lite

How important are firewalls to security of a small home network?

I have a number of machines with a router (which possibly acts as a firewall?) and each is also running XP's firewall.

34. Farva

Farva [H]ard as it Gets

Firewalls are very helpful. You don't want to become part of a botnet and be part of a DDoS. It is easier for you to be tracked down than the original person who wrote the program to do the DDoS.

Routers have firewalls in them too.

35. fibroptikl

fibroptikl [H]ardness Supreme

36. bbz_Ghost

bbz_Ghost 2[H]4U

Not always... so that becomes another issue in itself.

37. Farva

Farva [H]ard as it Gets

If you get a Linksys, Netgear, etc, they will have a firewall. I'm not familiar with a router that does not have one. Please advise.

38. l3ender

l3ender [H]ardness Supreme

I use Zone Alarm Pro and can't complain at all; it's worked out great for me. I am behind a router (Netgear), and I also use Ad-Aware.

This is the first I've heard of NOD32. Is it good? Details, please.

Check with your college for discounts on software. I know mine does, as well as many other friends I have spoken with on the matter. You can get great deals on some good software.

39. rblews

rblews Limp Gawd

Don't the paid for versions of Adaware and CounterSpy containing the real time monitoring services provide a similar protective layer as that of a firewall for a one computer home entertainment user? I have to admit that my IT friends at the office do think that I'm a bit stupid; but, I thought it was because they are cazy :rolleyes:

40. Farva

Farva [H]ard as it Gets

Nod32 is the best AV out there. Just do a search and look at their web site for a bit.