CCD MI-6: Performance in a 6.7L MIcrotower

--Below is an update I'm double posting here and on SFF--

Ok, quick update (itemized and all!) --
1) Waiting on power switch pre-production sample. Probably be a couple weeks.
2) I have the fabrication quote, as I mentioned before, and met with the fab house last week and went over all the drawings. Now waiting on a sample run quote which I expect this week.
3) Here is the planned nameplate on the back of the case, black anodized plate with laser etched lettering:
Po6ZU3u.jpg

4) And a side items
I found a good supplier to do a custom front I/O Board. So if this works out and timing works, the USB, audio and power button cables won't be 60cm long (std Corsair solution), but rather about 25cm. Waiting on pre-production sample in a couple weeks. Worst case, the custom board get incorporated on a later run.

5) And one more item: I did a bit of modeling and ended up with the thick alum plate moved up onto the top of the case, instead of the front. Maybe it's an idea, maybe not. Here are a couple renders and let me know what you think.
P5hAltw.jpg

rd0rCJx.jpg

Everything is brushed black anodized alum. Here the cover slides off the front as 1 pc:
dvoWu8Y.jpg

Thoughts?
It would be nice if there is such a shiny edge at the bottom as well

Ok, I need to settle on the design. Please take a look at the following design versions and decide which you prefer. I'll set up a poll where you can record your preference.

Note: On all versions I am switching to flat head screws, brushed black anodized on all exterior surfaces, and powder coat on all interior surfaces.

Version 1: Standard thick front plate:
0PzcD27l.jpg

Version 2: Thick top plate, separate from the rest of the cover. 4 screws to remove the wrap-around cover, 4 more to remove the top plate:
HEJhhxhl.jpg

Version 3: Thick top plate, bent flanges at top of side panels to attach to the top plate. 4 side screws to remove the whole cover with top plate:
FCfbvb3l.jpg

Close up of the flange bends at the top of the side panels:
YR3fRe5l.jpg

Poll here:
http://www.strawpoll.me/13746402

Thanks!

Last edited:
But if 2 and 3 get more votes than 1, doesn't that mean the design should really be vertical? I meant aren't they a spin off of the same essential design...

Thanks everyone so far who has taken a look at the versions and voted!
After almost 2 days and 69 votes there is no majority preference, but V1 has a plurality at 39%. I'll keep the poll going until end of Tues, then if there is no clear majority winner, then we'll have a runoff election from the 2 top voted versions.

Sound good?
Fire

Thanks everyone so far who has taken a look at the versions and voted!
After almost 2 days and 69 votes there is no majority preference, but V1 has a plurality at 39%. I'll keep the poll going until end of Tues, then if there is no clear majority winner, then we'll have a runoff election from the 2 top voted versions.

Sound good?
Fire

Yep sounds good!

Voted.
Agree that versions 2 and 3 are very similar in principle, just executed differently.

End of polling for 3 versions of MI-6. Results:
HUvxUAcm.jpg

Since no version received a majority of votes, the top two will face a runoff poll. I created the final runoff poll on the SFF forum MI-6 thread. I can't really have dueling polls here and on SFF, since some are members of both forums and would be fine to vote at both sites, but some might be only have membership at 1 and wouldn't have the same voice.

The poll there will be open for 2 days. Here is a link: https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/fires-mi-6-case-poll-on-page-11.1091/

Thanks!

End of polling for 3 versions of MI-6. Results:
HUvxUAcm.jpg

Since no version received a majority of votes, the top two will face a runoff poll. I created the final runoff poll on the SFF forum MI-6 thread. I can't really have dueling polls here and on SFF, since some are members of both forums and would be fine to vote at both sites, but some might be only have membership at 1 and wouldn't have the same voice.

The poll there will be open for 2 days. Here is a link: https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/fires-mi-6-case-poll-on-page-11.1091/

Thanks!

Just to confirm I can't vote on the other site without signing up correct? No way to do it otherwise?

Just to make sure everything is clear, here are the 2 versions to pick between:

Version 1: Standard thick front plate:
0PzcD27l.jpg

Version 2: Thick top plate, separate from the rest of the cover. 4 screws to remove the wrap-around cover, 4 more to remove the top plate:
HEJhhxhl.jpg

Thanks,
Fire

Vote cast. I signed up at SFF just to participate in this survey. Honestly, i would be quite happy with either design. They both just scream high class!

Vote cast. I signed up at SFF just to participate in this survey. Honestly, i would be quite happy with either design. They both just scream high class!

Yeah I feel the same way, keep going back and forth.

Ok, about 1/2 and hour to go on the voting. To keep everyone up to date, the PM'd votes from [H] forum members are 1 for version 1, and 4 for version 2.

So right now the tally stands at:
16 for V1
20 for V2.

I was going to let majority rule and hide my preference for V2, but seeing how close the numbers are pushed me to vote. :rolleyes:

Wow close vote, I think you could go either model Fire and people would be happy.

I was going to let majority rule and hide my preference for V2, but seeing how close the numbers are pushed me to vote. :rolleyes:

Going by your sig, looks like the MI-6 might just fit the bill for your build.

All you need to do is get the Noctua NF-A9x14 for your intake fan & figure out what lengths you need for a set of custom cables!

Going by your sig, looks like the MI-6 might just fit the bill for your build.

All you need to do is get the Noctua NF-A9x14 for your intake fan & figure out what lengths you need for a set of custom cables!

I've been waiting a loooooooong time for someone to come up with this case. I had all of these parts in a Jonsbo U1+ for a short period of time but the airflow was awful and the layout was inefficient. Very much looking forward to the MI-6.

Now that V2 won, was it purely looks, or where they thinking they'll mod it with top hat for radiator or more fans. Because if that's what they really wanted... Only saying because the reality will likely be that hardly anyone would actually do that unless the parts came with the case, even though they think its cool option.

I appreciate all the great feedback. And it is good to hear from so many that found both versions appealing.

Again, I know the polling was a bit of a mess with it being over on SFF only, so sorry for that.

A bit of news:
1) Tuesday the fab house gave me their standard 4-6 wk timing for the proto samples. When I asked yesterday if they could improve on that, they said they should be able to beat that timing. 4-6 wks seemed a bit long to me, so I'm glad they can do some expediting.
2) Wednesday the custom PCB company told me they would complete the sample I/O board and short cabling next week. So heck, maybe I will be able to offer the I/O option with optimized cable lengths!

Next step is verifying details of the cover and top plate prototype order, and then kick it off!

...top hat for... ...fans. ...the parts came with the case...

Firewolfy

I like that idea, might we see an accessory item for this, a simple frame / wraparound cover that screws into where the top plate goes & has mounting for two NF-A9x14s (or a thicker version that does the same for dual NF-A9s) & then the original top plate screws to this accessory item?

Intake from the bottom & sides (sides via the CPU cooler fan & GPU cooler fan), exhaust out the top!

Now that V2 won, was it purely looks, or where they thinking they'll mod it with top hat for radiator or more fans. Because if that's what they really wanted... Only saying because the reality will likely be that hardly anyone would actually do that unless the parts came with the case, even though they think its cool option.

Firewolfy

I like that idea, might we see an accessory item for this, a simple frame / wraparound cover that screws into where the top plate goes & has mounting for two NF-A9x14s (or a thicker version that does the same for dual NF-A9s) & then the original top plate screws to this accessory item?

Intake from the bottom & sides (sides via the CPU cooler fan & GPU cooler fan), exhaust out the top!

Wow.

Wow.

Ok, ok, now I've calmed down enough to type. That is so crazy it just might work! You might be on to something (although a bit along the lines of what Loque is doing with their top hats...). I try to think that through after this first run and see if it could work as an add on.

Thanks watevs and Boil.

Reactions: eggDK
like this
-- RED ALERT --

Boil pointed out over on SFF that Gigabyte now has a GTX 1080 ITX GPU !!!!

Boil's link to Giga here: https://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/GV-N1080IX-8GD#kf

It is the same exact dims as the 1070, which I already fit checked in the MI-6! I had hoped the stars would align and a 1080 ITX would show up. So the case can hold a SFX PSU with enough power for a high end CPU and cooler, and fit a 1080 card. Woo hoo!

-- RED ALERT --

Boil's link to Giga here: https://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/GV-N1080IX-8GD#kf

It is the same exact dims as the 1070, which I already fit checked in the MI-6! I had hoped the stars would align and a 1080 ITX would show up. So the case can hold a SFX PSU with enough power for a high end CPU and cooler, and fit a 1080 card. Woo hoo!

Yeah I saw that post over at SFF, that is good news. Now hurry up and build it already. ;)

Reactions: Boil
like this
-- RED ALERT --

This is so awesome!!!
I already have the 1070, and dont want to change it. But do you think it would be realistic that they could release the 1080 ti in the exact same footprint? The smallest right now is the 1080 Ti Mini from Zotac at 211 mm (8.3 in). The 90mm fan maybe wont be enough for cooling though...

If you added a silver version of this case, my friend would definitely buy (well he probably would want to anyway) he has a Lian-Li case and this looks so much nicer than his current one. Keep up the good work!!

If you added a silver version of this case, my friend would definitely buy (well he probably would want to anyway) he has a Lian-Li case and this looks so much nicer than his current one. Keep up the good work!!

Gulvan,
Sorry man, but this run is only black anodized brushed aluminum finish. Actually an anodize shop could re-anodize it any color you want ... for a price, like $90 a tank batch. So for the rich and famous there is always that.

Yes. I can add you to the interest list for the first production run. Just need an mail contact.

Thx
Fire

Firewolfy, do the PSU mounts allow for the PSU to be mounted with the fan facing either up or down?

Back