FireGL V5200 for gaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotch77

Gawd
I am interested in the IBM T60P and it has the FireGL V5200, in which Ive heard is comparable to the X1600 mobile on other notebooks. Ive also heard that it becomes troublesome to play games on this GPU. Can somebody explain how to get around this and the problems.

Thank you.

FireGL is a workstation graphics card meant for 3d rendering. The reason it is terrible for gaming is because the card is focused more on accuracy and precision so it is ultimately slower. You can't really get around it but if the game isn't that taxing you won't need to 'get around it.' Otherwise you're sorta stuck.

Least said:
FireGL is a workstation graphics card meant for 3d rendering. The reason it is terrible for gaming is because the card is focused more on accuracy and precision so it is ultimately slower. You can't really get around it but if the game isn't that taxing you won't need to 'get around it.' Otherwise you're sorta stuck.

Ive read otheriwse that they are amazing for gaming,.

They're not.
Functions and features necessary for gaming are going to be disabled on the V5200's, if they aren't already, to match what nVidia does to the Quadros now.
If you want gaming, get a gaming card. If you want a workstation card, get something else.

AreEss said:
They're not.
Functions and features necessary for gaming are going to be disabled on the V5200's, if they aren't already, to match what nVidia does to the Quadros now.
If you want gaming, get a gaming card. If you want a workstation card, get something else.

calm down.

i could probrolly open those things couldent i throgh the software.

I dont think you can, like you could say change an x1600 into a workstation card.

MrGuvernment said:
I dont think you can, like you could say change an x1600 into a workstation card.

The chips them selfs are the same, the pcb lay out might be slightly diffrenrent, and bios lanencys might be slightly diffrent to better suit auto-CAD and stuff like that that the FireGL would be used for, but in most cases its just driver and bios locked, unlockable if you wanna do a bit of modding, but of course it would void warrenty.

Yeah, like Chilly said, workstation cards have an identical mainstream counter part. Anyone remember the FX series days where almost all of the FX cards could be flashed to Quadros?

^ actually the Demm M90 has a quadro 2500 fx and its the same as dell xps 1710' 7900 gtx 512 mb. They get the same 3d marks 05 and 06 and the same gaming performance. So i'd say the m90 is the only exception. I agree with them on everything else

It is the exact same hardware as a x1600, however it is underclocked slightly and has different driver, that said it runs games about as well as an x1600

MrGuvernment said:
i think you can..... the GPU is identical (same exact die), it's the resistors on the chip package that are in a different configuration so the card reports itself as firegl instead of radeon, the BIOS is different, and the drivers are different..... I think there's some kind of softmod you can do on a radeon and special drivers you can use to turn it into a firegl...... wouldn't surprise me if someone came up with the reverse of that mod someday.......

I ran a FireGL V5100 128MB DDR in my PC for several months and it was based on the X800 Pro chipset.

It generally ran most 3D games O.K at up to 1024 x 768 (Fear, Quake4, Doom3, Oblivion etc) and in typical ATI fashion 2D and 3D quality was nice and sharp.

I then swapped it out for an Nvidia FX3400 Quadro 256MB DDR3 and it performed basically the same as the V5100 but was more able at a higher resolution 1280 x 1024.

Applications like Blender have some slowdown issues with ATI cards (OpenGL driver) and therefore if your using Blender I'd suggest looking at an Nvidia card as their implimentation of OpenGL is currently better.

I modified the .inf for the catalyst drivers (ATI) to install with the V5100 but didn't notice a great deal of difference over the FireGL drivers. The quality remained good and I didn't notice any significant lack of effects apart from some particles and shading which we're missing from that generation of chipset anyway.

In the end I basically stuck with the correct drivers and never had any issues.

So your V5200 will run most games at acceptable resolutions and do a great job with 3D design apps but if your main focus is high resolution gaming then invest in another more gaming orientated card.

I'm now running an MSI 7900GT 256MB DDR3 VIVO which basically puts the other 2 cards to shame in all gaming. I don't do much 3D dev work anymore so I'm happy to stick with this card for now. Great overclocker and nice and cool/quiet with a Zalman VF900 copper HSF.

MellowDude said:
I ran a FireGL V5100 128MB DDR in my PC for several months and it was based on the X800 Pro chipset.

It generally ran most 3D games O.K at up to 1024 x 768 (Fear, Quake4, Doom3, Oblivion etc) and in typical ATI fashion 2D and 3D quality was nice and sharp.

I then swapped it out for an Nvidia FX3400 Quadro 256MB DDR3 and it performed basically the same as the V5100 but was more able at a higher resolution 1280 x 1024.

Applications like Blender have some slowdown issues with ATI cards (OpenGL driver) and therefore if your using Blender I'd suggest looking at an Nvidia card as their implimentation of OpenGL is currently better.

I modified the .inf for the catalyst drivers (ATI) to install with the V5100 but didn't notice a great deal of difference over the FireGL drivers. The quality remained good and I didn't notice any significant lack of effects apart from some particles and shading which we're missing from that generation of chipset anyway.

In the end I basically stuck with the correct drivers and never had any issues.

So your V5200 will run most games at acceptable resolutions and do a great job with 3D design apps but if your main focus is high resolution gaming then invest in another more gaming orientated card.

I'm now running an MSI 7900GT 256MB DDR3 VIVO which basically puts the other 2 cards to shame in all gaming. I don't do much 3D dev work anymore so I'm happy to stick with this card for now. Great overclocker and nice and cool/quiet with a Zalman VF900 copper HSF.

well its a laptop so i really cant choose.

True,

But you still have a choice of another laptop.

Either way, It will play most games fine but like most ATI chipsets it'll favour D3D over OpenGL games.

You can run the mainstream Catalyst drivers if you modify the setup .inf's to include the V5200 chipset.

I doubt you notice much benefit though.

Are you planning on doing specific 3D/CAD work on the notebook or could you get away with another chipset such as the NVIDIA Geforce Go 7900 GS

well Its that there really arent many notebooks that can compare to IBm, maybe asus but I dont know yet. IBM I am in love with. if ya understand.

i fixed eneogh laptops at work to know whats junk and whats not. IBM is definatly the top of the list.

Yeah, but now that lenevo owns it and makes them.... not IBM anymore.... and lately with alot of good companies to me IBM is just anther over prices name like sony.

MrGuvernment said:
Yeah, but now that lenevo owns it and makes them.... not IBM anymore.... and lately with alot of good companies to me IBM is just anther over prices name like sony.

Hrm thats why the entire thinkpad team is still in tact. The entire support structure is still intact and still in North Carolina and Rhode Island. Nothing has change, thus the support and laptops are the same except the newer models such as the *60 series and Z series in which were made during the lenovo ownership, but still made by the same thinkpad team and engineers. The entire thinkpad line is still designed and engineering in America.

MrGuvernment you seem to make a ton of random comments that in general have no merit in any threads. I didnt ask about lenovo's pricing and didnt ask on your opinion on quality.

This thread is in
[H]ard|Forum > [H]ard|Ware > Video Cards > ATI Flavor >

Unless it is to do with a subject of this then stop post whoring.

As for your opinion I will return a personal opinion. if you can even compare a Sony and an IBM you have to either have zero experience with either or one of the two products or just be trolling againt IBM. Its not even resonable that you can say that IBM/Lenovo is overpriced and cheap. I ask you to do your research and look for who makes the highest quality computers, the answer you will find is Ibm/Lenovo. I ask you to look up who has the best support, again the answer is IBM/Lenovo, I dont see alot of other computing companies staying in America, especially when it is a chinese company, except asus at certain times and for certain reasons.. I dont know many companies who keep Technical suppoort in America except IBM/Lenovo, Gateway and again sometimes Asus. A company that you can call and get somebody who can speak very good english. Its rare and i think well worth it.

I also ask you to find a company with support like IBM/Lenovo a Company that will have a technician at your house in either 4 hours or 9 hours, or have the notebook picked up sameday and sent to there depot sameday and fixed and shipped back to you overnight.

Keep talking becasue you dont know what you are talking about.

go play with your HP.
zero experience with a great company such as Ibm/Lenovo and

You obviously seem to have a good idea as to what you want, so why not just get it? If you want to game, get a gaming graphics card. If there is some reason why you need the firegl, then get it. I doubt it'll perform better in games than the x1400 which is available in the T60. There is hardly any difference in the two unless you want the 4gb of ram (which at that point... just get a desktop!) and there is a faster processor in the T60.

I love IBM's laptops, but there's no way you can say they're not priced at the premium. You get what you pay for, I suppose (I have an a21m :D).

Also, Toshiba makes excellent notebooks. Asus makes good notebooks. There are several other companies out there that make good notebooks.

How often do you imagine that you're going to need that customer service? You fix laptops, do you not? How is it then that that is a factor in your decision? Thinkpads are made for business, which is why they are not gaudy, they have good customer service, and they are overpriced.

Nice little attack on HP, btw. What is it exactly that you find troublesome with their products?

Ultimately, it's your decision but there is no reason to get a firegl unless you use it for your job (what job makes you do cad work and repair laptops?).

Least said:
You obviously seem to have a good idea as to what you want, so why not just get it? If you want to game, get a gaming graphics card. If there is some reason why you need the firegl, then get it. I doubt it'll perform better in games than the x1400 which is available in the T60. There is hardly any difference in the two unless you want the 4gb of ram (which at that point... just get a desktop!) and there is a faster processor in the T60.

I love IBM's laptops, but there's no way you can say they're not priced at the premium. You get what you pay for, I suppose (I have an a21m :D).

Also, Toshiba makes excellent notebooks. Asus makes good notebooks. There are several other companies out there that make good notebooks.

How often do you imagine that you're going to need that customer service? You fix laptops, do you not? How is it then that that is a factor in your decision? Thinkpads are made for business, which is why they are not gaudy, they have good customer service, and they are overpriced.

Nice little attack on HP, btw. What is it exactly that you find troublesome with their products?

Ultimately, it's your decision but there is no reason to get a firegl unless you use it for your job (what job makes you do cad work and repair laptops?).

well thank you sir for your input, the thoght of the firegl was due to it having the same configuration as the X1600

If you take a look here
http://kettya.com/notebook2/3dmark05.htm

The Firegl 5200 is around 3535 in 3dmark05

where as the X1400 is 2092 and the X1300 is 993.

The extra 1500 points in comparison was somthing I was interested in.

My origional idea of this thread was due to the similarities of the firegl 5200 and the x1600 that it may be possible to software modify them. To me this would be worth while.

I do fix Pc's for a living as college student., the toshiba and Hp laptops we get in are very cheap plastic. We often have to tak very good care of them and work very slowly, as they are fragile. I know that Asus makes great products. I rank The laptops in this order

1. IBM/Lenovo
2. Asus
3. Quanta
4. MSI
5. Gateway
6. Apple(Made by Asus)
7. Fujitsu
8. Dell
9. Sony
10. Hp/compaq
11. Toshiba
12. Acer

Its my opinion, from my firsthand experiences with them.

AreEss said:

hey AreEss, do you have a link to this? We have several computers with workstation grafic cards in our studio and all of them perform almost identical to their respective gaming counterpart in games - they are all based off of last generation cores, though (x800 etc.).

Granted, they are a tad slower than the gaming 'version' of the same core, but it's nothing to write home about, really. On the other hand, they are WAY faster when it comes to pro apps and definitely stomp the gaming cards in this sector (obviously... http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=965194 ).

Did they really disable gaming features on the new pro cards?

Maybe the reason they are considered to have 'poor gaming performance' is due to the fact that they cost so much more than their equivalent?

Scotch77 said:
11. Toshiba

Haha, now thats a joke, toshiba is a very good notebook, my fiance has had her satelite for 3 years and it's a fucking tank. She's dropped it several times spilled crap on it lord knows what else. Never had a single issue with it. Looks like you need some more experience. :rolleyes:

ITSTHINKING said:
Haha, now thats a joke, toshiba is a very good notebook, my fiance has had her satelite for 3 years and it's a fucking tank. She's dropped it several times spilled crap on it lord knows what else. Never had a single issue with it. Looks like you need some more experience. :rolleyes:

How many laptops have you repaired & fixed.? Because Im well over 4000 units so far, actually probrolly very well over. If you think Toshiba's are tanks then we should send you to iraq with a Saturn Ion or something cheap like that, instead of a tank and see how well you come out. Because a Toshiba is about the lowest quality product in the notebook work that one can buy. But you would not know this because you are what? a casual pc user who owns a Dell XPS and thinks hes L337.

dumbass, shut your mouth.

the gamer said:
FireGL V5200 is meant for 3d Rendering....period :p .

Um how about no. Alot of epople state it performs at least equal to a x1600 in gaming, You may say period because you are un interested but for the est of us who are still interested, let us do what we want. If ya hadnt noticed this is a Overclocking and Modification forum of Computer hardware and software. So should we not Overclock or modify because thats what the manufactuerer sells it as. yeah didnt think so.

Scott man... you have major anger problems. You sound like a 12 year old with a cardboard badge.

As for the FireGL to x1600 I am very interested in the subject as well. We have a horde of hp 8000's at our school (Vancouver Film School) and that would be great news to be able to run games with this mod. Not only to test games but to kill the time between rendering.

Scotch77 said:
How many laptops have you repaired & fixed.? Because Im well over 4000 units so far, actually probrolly very well over. If you think Toshiba's are tanks then we should send you to iraq with a Saturn Ion or something cheap like that, instead of a tank and see how well you come out. Because a Toshiba is about the lowest quality product in the notebook work that one can buy. But you would not know this because you are what? a casual pc user who owns a Dell XPS and thinks hes L337.

dumbass, shut your mouth.

Right, and your just a arrogant asshole. I'd happy for you and your PROBROLLY 4000 (riiiight) laptops you've fixed. Yay for for you, here have a cookie. And you know what? Jst because they happen to have cheap pricetags doesn't mean that they are crap. I guess my girlfriend got lucky with hers because its been working great for her, a lot better than my gateway laptop which is supposedly a lot better laptop according to you mr. genious. And how does driving a saturn as if it were a tank even compare to a laptop? Aren't all laptops relatively fragile? Well your mr. laptop genious I suppose you'd know right? And why are you even asking for peoples advice when you don't want to listen to any of it? If you knew what you wanted then stfu and quit asking. Have fun gaming with that x1600 :rolleyes: oh wait I mean firegl piece of crap.

So... laptop video cards. I recently heard you could replace them. I've always thought that they were IGP and impossible to replace being soldered into the MoBo. Is this true? Where can I buy the video cards? Never owned a laptop so I duno.

And, yes, workstation video cards stink for gaming. Look at any benchmarks and gaming card will do better always. And by better i mean anything close to that price range. As in a top of the line workstation card will perform like a low end gaming card for gaming and visa versa with Workstation stuff.

ok I can answer this one.

ATI fire GL mode and drivers adjusts the focus of the openGL and d3d capability.

Unlike nvidia, ATI does not have a full openGL implimentation.

you can game on an nvidia quadro, but you might lose only a couple FPS... you won't notice.

but game on a fireGL and you will notice weird texture problems and strange rendering errors in games... because the fireGL driver is targeted directly at workstation apps and does not have the stuff that some games use implimented...

ati fireGL drivers are VERY different then the gamer catalyst. you cannot install fireGL drivers on a regular radeon because they don't have the regular radeon code.

nvidia drivers for quadro and non quadro is the same code. you can use quadro drivers on a regular geforce.

Both manufacturers cripple their cards in one way or another... they want you to shell out the cash for workstation graphics even though the GPU is the same.

to be able to game on a Fire GL you must modify regular radeon drivers to install on your card. then you can game, but you lose your workstation graphics capability.

Since Scotch77 can't seem to play nice without trolling, he gets two weeks off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back