Firefox window focus

GJSNeptune

[H]F Junkie
Recently I reinstalled XP Pro and Firefox2 on a new hard drive. I'm using the MX700 Duo. I have the My Home keyboard button set to open Firefox. When the browser window opens (Google is my home page), it loses focus. On my previous XP install I could hit the button and start typing in the Google search box, but now I have to click on the window.

I've Googled but I get a lot of useless links, and some deal with JavaScript window focus and such, which don't seem to pertain.

Any ideas?

Sorry if I'm being an idiot here but when you say looses focus do you mean the screen is blurry, or the cursor is not in the Google search box?

Just a little confused...

Heh. Good question I s'pose.

When Firefox loads, the browser window displays and becomes an inactive window. The cursor is in the Google search box, but typing does nothing until I click on the window.

I can't tell if something else is stealing the focus. It'll lose focus even when it's the only window open. I've tried it with and without taskbar auto-hide, and it still happens.

A minor annoyance, but since I've been on the other side, I want to fix it ;)

I had a similar problem on one of my XP machines.. The home page was set to Yahoo, and not only was the window not active, it would open in a windowed mode at half screen resolution, and nothing I tried seemed to fix it...

I un-installed FF 2.0.0.2 and re-installed it and all was fine.. don't know if that will help or not, so, I suppose this was a bit of a useless response..............

I uninstalled and reinstalled and it still loses focus when I load it. No idea what else to try now. :(

It's weird. It's definitely annoying when I open Firefox with other windows displayed. It'll load behind them. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling, but nothing changes.

So no one else has experienced this? Is there any way to ensure that it stays active and opens in front of all windows?

Do you have any extensions installed? If so, which ones? Also, if you open Firefox by double-clicking an icon, etc (not by using the bound key on your keyboard) is there still the problem with focus?

Wow, it stays active when I dragged the Start menu shortcut onto the desktop and double-clicked.

I only had a couple extensions when I first noticed it, soon after I reinstalled. Probably Adblock Pluc and Mouse Gestures.

Now I have:
Adblock Plus
Fasterfox
HTML Validator
IE Tab
Mouse Gestures
Tab Catalog
Tab Mix Plus
VideoDownloader
ViewSourceWith

Back