Firefox to Play Console-Quality 3D Games

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
More news from GDC, this time from Mozilla about games and Firefox. Mozilla announced a work in progress bringing console-quality 3D games to the Firefox browser using OdinMonkey, which enhances developer code to enable 3D gaming on Firefox.

Since it recompiles c and c++ code into javascript, it wouldn't surprise me to see a plethora of classic games showing up on java form into the different app stores in the coming months.

Just what I would've wanted....

3D games played on a 2D monitor via the browser (which already has too many security issues). games that leave any and all control to someone else that will likely create another (possibly many) vulnerability.

I guess I just don't see the point.

This must be what they used to port Unreal Engine 3 to javascript, awesome all in all for what it implies.

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/03/29/mozilla-unveils-browser-based-unreal-engine-3-using-javascript/
That is great, but only runs at 1/2 the speed of UE3 running in Flash. On battery powered devices, that's not so good. Primarily because of energy drain and not necessarily because of performance.

JS needs a faster replacement if plug-in-less browser gaming is to really become more of a thing.

UE3 in flash runs at a fraction of the speed it does running natively. The whole thing is really impractical.

3D games played on a 2D monitor via the browser (which already has too many security issues). games that leave any and all control to someone else that will likely create another (possibly many) vulnerability.

Uh... they're not talking about the kind of 3D that requires glasses...

Would be pretty cool. There is a web site that already emulates the Game Boy Color via the web browser..

Guess this is just leading the way to have "Unreal Tournament Live" now...

Awesome just what i need to play my PC games inside of a browser....I can see this for old multiplayer games but outside of that seems so silly. It's a nice tech demo but seems very impractical as i don't understand what this saves because it doesn't seem like memory or space etc all it does do is put it inside of a browser.

Awesome just what i need to play my PC games inside of a browser....I can see this for old multiplayer games but outside of that seems so silly. It's a nice tech demo but seems very impractical as i don't understand what this saves because it doesn't seem like memory or space etc all it does do is put it inside of a browser.

It means you can play games via your web browser that are on par with console games today. Think Facebook games powered by the UE3 engine and not having to install any kind of plugin to play those games.

It makes it easier to have always up to date, dynamic, targeted advertisements inside your games.
Headshot!
Pop-up! You just scored a headshot, would you like to enroll in our stat tracking service?
You were killed by Subernoob31.
Pop-up! Buy the Strategy Guide for...

It makes it easier to have always up to date, dynamic, targeted advertisements inside your games.
Headshot!
Pop-up! You just scored a headshot, would you like to enroll in our stat tracking service?
You were killed by Subernoob31.
Pop-up! Buy the Strategy Guide for...
:D
It means you can play games via your web browser that are on par with console games today. Think Facebook games powered by the UE3 engine and not having to install any kind of plugin to play those games.
You're going to have to install something it's a full on game you're not going to stream 4gigs everytime you want to play the game.

Yea, how, uh, revolutionary it is to consider that Firefox is coming up with a magical way to run 3d games in software--browser software! It's a revolution because apparently you just need the browser sans any hardware to do this--oh, wait! What? You need hardware, too?--you mean kind of like you need console-shmonsole type hardware to run 3d games in or out of Firefox? Nevermind.*

* (This is an official "Gag me with a spoon moment(TM)" brought to you by the famous Valley Girls(TM) variety of iPad-compatible hygienic napkins and other fine toiletries, available wherever fine prophylactics are sold.)

JS needs a faster replacement if plug-in-less browser gaming is to really become more of a thing.
It isn't only speed, but JS is a garbage-collected language that can cause some problems for real-time applications, and it still tends to leak memory fairly badly.

I actually like Google's Native Client, but it's unlikely to catch on, and doesn't entirely solve all problems.

Bring Firefox OS into the picture and I think their motivation and point is actually almost clear.

What's the point? Just run it natively.

Cool you'll probably need a plugin to get shit cranking, but a tiny plugin is nothing in the grand scheme of things if you're already pulling stupid amounts of content. There's an awful lot to lose just because you don't want to download a plugin.

Back