Firefox & Safari Continue to Suck Even More

Status
Not open for further replies.
havent used FF in years now. Cant stand the bloat/bugginess. Chrome then IE

If you haven't, supposedly, used it in years. What do you know about "bloat" and "bugginess"?

I use Chrome, have for years.
I used Firefox in the past, but I always had to pump it full of extensions and have to update stuff all the time. Chrome with ad block does everything I need with no Hassel. Its just easy. I have a smartphone and a few tablets, and a handful of other computers and I like how I can install chrome, login and it syncs everything.

Fast, simple and it works. Does everything that I want.

Chrome doesnt bother me, but google's account management does.

For the longest time ive had multiple email addresses for multiple aspects of my life, personal/financial, work, online/gaming, throwaway.

Now that is all being tied to my browser settings, and in apps. in the instance of the latter, i can no longer determine legitimate google login vs faked google login screen.

I would use chrome more, but every extension i want (after years of opera, need) asks for so much information, and i cant discern the legitimate requests from the fraudulent/deceptive requests.

Chrome doesnt bother me, but google's account management does.

For the longest time ive had multiple email addresses for multiple aspects of my life, personal/financial, work, online/gaming, throwaway.

Now that is all being tied to my browser settings, and in apps. in the instance of the latter, i can no longer determine legitimate google login vs faked google login screen.

I would use chrome more, but every extension i want (after years of opera, need) asks for so much information, and i cant discern the legitimate requests from the fraudulent/deceptive requests.
I just got rid of anything important on my google account, plus i just prefer outlook over gmail at this point for various reasons like alias handling, the online doc creation is an office doc and i get more space with skydrive.

So my google account is a throw away, considering i use another program to handle passwords i don't really care too much about the security of that account as nothing important is tied to it.

I've used Firefox since it was beta and called Firebird. Does anyone remember those days or am I dating myself? :eek:

Firefox is now the go to browser again--particularly in Windows 8.1. For a while it was pissing me off. Now it is amazing. Scaling in windows 8.1 with it is perfect. Fonts look very nice. Scroll smoothing plugin works... I've had massive troubles with Chrome for months that I didn't realize were being caused by the Chromium Wheel Smoother plugin (in both win 8.1 and 7...) and I'm going to be cross posting references to the nightmare experience everywhere I can.

I use chrome on mobile but I'm constantly choosing to "request desktop site" due to weird scaling. Also its very annoying not having configuration options on mobile.

On desktop I use firefox, but with classic theme restorer to restore standard browser buttons and remove chrome-esque stupidity.

Hoverhound is just too annoying for daily use.

Hover hound is too good. (Firefox)
Anyone trying to diss hover hound is just being a hater.

Firefox has become a joke. Mozilla is nothing but a bunch of hipsters and yuppies trying to make things "trendy" rather than usable and the latest interface update is an unmitigated disaster for anyone but the dumbest of users. The arrogance of their developers is astounding; all one has to do is read the bug tracker to see it oozing, with the developers deciding that they know better than the users. I'm not surprised that usage has tanked since Australis.

Chrome is watered, dumbed-down crap as well. But at least its fast. Australis stripped all the good things about Firefox while leaving all of the bad; it is simply a slower, more-bloated, Chrome.

Personally, I switched to Pale Moon since it is actually developed for power users, and not dimwits.

Well at least you're on Pale Moon. I'd probably be on IE12 beta if Firefox didn't exist.
Chrome is the new AOL; the internet with training wheels.

Well at least you're on Pale Moon. I'd probably be on IE12 beta if Firefox didn't exist.
Chrome is the new AOL; the internet with training wheels.

At least? Pale Moon is Firefox without all of the dumbed down crap. I see no reason to use Firefox at all.

Meh, Pale Moon doesn't support glassmyfox or the other space optimization tools I use, so it's kinda pointless, since performance is hardly an issue on my main machine, while screen space is, even with dual screen:
http://puu.sh/aw7ZV/0195d6bdbf.png
http://puu.sh/aw83L/65f2db4a84.png

It also seems to force the user to have the status bar always on, it doesn't show up when necessary to disappear when it's useless, if it's disabled it stays disabled permanently.

I love Firefox but was upset that Mozilla fired that CEO b/c he had previously donated to an anti-gay marriage org. :rolleyes: Now the clean-shaven Beard is the new CEO. I don't know his qualifications, but for an org. that supports freedom of speech to fire someone who was expressing his reeks of hypocrisy. :(

FF on the desktop, Opera on my phone. I can use IE or Chrome for most things without complaint, I just use FF out of habit, installed extension base, and a vague dislike of the all seeing Eye of El Goog

Now Opera? I love Opera on my phone. Forum auto-formatting is convenient (auto-zooms post text, leaves menus/usernames/post metadata tiny. Off-road mode for when I'm in the hills. Zippy fast. I like the way the UI handles tabs with a full preview. I like that I can swipe around a web page without the browser trying to "help" me further...I'm looking at you dolphin! With your right AND left side swipe-in menus, and abundant gesture support. Dolphin is my #2 mobile browser, was #1 for a while, but UI overengineering knocked it down a peg.

Chrome is the worst thing to happen to the web. Every other browser now copies its dumbed down, useless UI and insane numbering scheme, because Chrome is 'cool'.

Nothing will ever beat the functionality and power of Firefox extensions. Google continues to force Chrome onto users by tying things like Hangouts to its browser.

I use zero Google services besides gmail and I use chrome, and not because I use gmail.

I use it because there is NOTHING on the UI, and I like that, plus it has useful addons.

Seriously look how clean the UI is:

cleanchrome by OEM+, on Flickr

I use zero Google services besides gmail and I use chrome, and not because I use gmail.

I use it because there is NOTHING on the UI, and I like that, plus it has useful addons.

snip

clearly you havent seen metro internet explorer :D

clearly you havent seen metro internet explorer :D

The thing about IE is that it is IE.

We were forced to use it when I was in the Air Force and it sucks shit. How people can say it is a good, or even decent browser is beyond me.

I would rather hammer my own balls with Gallagher's hammer then use IE willingly.

We were forced to use it when I was in the Air Force and it sucks shit. How people can say it is a good, or even decent browser is beyond me.

I would rather hammer my own balls with Gallagher's hammer then use IE willingly.

Clearly you havent used the newest version of IE which are completely 100% competent browsers. Especially on touch enabled devices

yeah that's a bit different because government always lags behind on updates. right now i am typing on IE8 and that was just updated recently. youtube, gmail, and pretty much anything flash or html5 etc doesnt work right on my computer if at all. it isnt because of IE itself any more, but because the government computers are usually 3 or 4 full versions behind current gen.

Clearly you havent used the newest version of IE which are completely 100% competent browsers. Especially on touch enabled devices

Sorry, can't stop laughing. You said IE and competent in the same sentence.

IE has a reputation...almost nothing will get me to go back to that pile of shit.

Right now I'm using IE and Firefox. While I had problems with IE, Firefox never gave me any problems

cleanchrome by OEM+, on Flickr
Properly customized Firefox is even cleaner, and far more space efficient:
673c3eb6be.png

Yeah I'm not a power user at all. I browse cut paste and watch YouTube. I play a few games. The fact googles extensions (chromium wheel smooth scroller) was not only malfunctioning but also causing scrolling to malfunction in any other browser I tried has pretty much pushed me away from using chrome in the foreseeable future. The fact we even need plugins to make scrolling smooth is puzzling to me.

My phone should not be smoother than my fast gaming machine to browse on. And now, thanks to Firefox and it's scrolling smoothing addon my computer browses smoothly like a smartphone.

Finally two days and countless changes later, I managed to optimize Pale Moon to my liking:
b6a41e8288.png

Performance-wise is really impressive, well beyond Waterfox x64. Now even with 20+ tabs, half of which auto-updating 4chan pages, I see no hangups. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back