Firefox & Safari Continue to Suck Even More

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use Chrome only because it easily lets me search google for images for research purposes. Whichever browser gets me the info I need I will go to.

I like my Dolphin browser on Android.

I like Dolphin too. But no matter what device I use it on (S3, S4, S5, TF101) it always goes tits up after about 30-60 minutes and I get "connect error" until I reboot. The built-in browser always works fine during that time.

Also firefox is another open source tragedy that google will slaughter.

Nah, they did it to themselves just like Ubuntu and Gnome. Seriously, what's up with OSS taking the worst out of closed source software and turning that into a design mantra? I thought this was about the "community"?

Nah, they did it to themselves just like Ubuntu and Gnome. Seriously, what's up with OSS taking the worst out of closed source software and turning that into a design mantra? I thought this was about the "community"?

Because a lot of the people working on OSS projects absolutely positively can't help but think their project would do better if they copied more elements from whatever is currently beating them.

Yeah, and adopt the exact same elements that made a lot of people unhappy about commercial software and willing to migrate to OSS. Genius!

FF needs to stop arbitrarily changing the UI and moving the god damn navigation buttons all around the screen if they want to be taken seriously. I don't use a browser because it's fun, it's 100% for the content. The UI design needs to stay out of the way.

Firefox made a huge UI clusterfuck out of version 23, and I had to revert back after I was ungracefully auto-updated. It definitely pissed me off enough to start considering other browsers. And it wasn't easy to even go back, it wouldn't surprise me if a lot of people uninstalled Firefox after that. For now I still use Firefox, but knowing I can't update versions, the clock is ticking.

Probably becuase Chrome is wrapped up into so many installs like Adobe Flash. I'm not a fan of any software that forcefully installs itself and hijacks your default browser through installs of other software. I bet many people have it and don't realize its their default.

Mainly firefox by default still seems to be stuck with the older separate search field.

I'm not sure why people need a unified url bar. I have plenty of space on my computer screen I don't need all that unused space. The dual search fields is useful especially when I'm searching multiple engines or sites. This is actually one of the main reasons why I hate using other browsers.

Can't say it surprises me, with the correct addons chrome can largely be controlled on how much it spies.

That said for me..

chrome for general forum browsing stuff..just flatly faster and formatting tends to work across multiple forum types better.

Firefox more for video and streaming related stuff.

And as for the rest..

IE, Shit That I sometimes get forced to use on a few websites that have lazy admins.
Opera, Shit
Safari, Apple Shit
<insert random other garbage browser here>, shit.

I use FF every day, primarily for streaming/video like Dekoth-E- points out. Chrome works better for almost everything for me except UPS' site for logging in shipments.

I have not been able to use IE on this install every since it self updated a while ago and broke. And honestly, I don't care.

I suspect the changes with Firefox 29+ didn't help it much. Fortunately Classic Theme Restorer is available so all is good.

I was going to have to downgrade FF before I found that addon. Not sure why they made FF look almost like Chrome.

I shy away from IE because it's failed too many times allowing drive-by malware from infected ad servers on a fully patched machine with latest signatures and no admin rights. The uncomfortable feeling when your computer experience a spurt of disk activity and CPU spike and there are oddly named newly dated files in your system folders.

Haven't had that issue with Chrome plus features such as extensions, sync, gestures, work flow, built-in Flash and PDF support, save to PDF, etc. are useful and better.

I gotta say, I am divorcing google the best I can lately. I have really been enjoying firefox since they copied Chrome's UI. Duckduckgo is a good search replacement and hushmail is a good gmail replacement.

I'm not sure why people need a unified url bar. I have plenty of space on my computer screen I don't need all that unused space. The dual search fields is useful especially when I'm searching multiple engines or sites. This is actually one of the main reasons why I hate using other browsers.

I prefer the separate search field, myself.

I love Firefox. Absolutely no problems here with it. I should probably use it on my phone, but I use stock android browser.

So many people use Chrome because it is shoved down your throat everywhere you go, From smaller app installers, to anything related to Google it puts a small ad to say "download chrome!"

So many people use Chrome because it is shoved down your throat everywhere you go, From smaller app installers, to anything related to Google it puts a small ad to say "download chrome!"

It couldn't possibly be that it's just better right? I loved Firefox until one of the 3.x versions, it just turned to shit, at least for me. There were a couple of times where it crashed for no reason, never had that with Chrome and don't really see the need to change my browser anymore.

Yeah, saying Chrome is #1 because people prefer it is a bit like saying IE6 was #1 during it's prime because people preferred it. Main difference is that IE6 never had the hipster seal of approval like Chrome does.

What is the reasoning for this? Just wondering

I have had issues in the past with Chrome crashing when running Silverlight or Flash. Since during the day I may have a lot of open tabs, it was a PITA when the crash occurred so I moved those duties over to FF. Honestly, I have not lately tried an all-Chrome scenario, so it might be working just fine for those things now.

Does Chrome have NoScript yet?
Javascript management has been built into Chrome for a long time. JS and a whole bunch of other settings are available in the icon next to the URL.

You have to go out of your way to download Chrome whereas Microsoft deep throat IE by force it with Windows and making it difficult to uninstall.

I use chrome on all my devices, it isn't perfect but its very good. As for firefox, well, I dropped it a few months ago for personal reasons.

I use anything but IE at home. At work, I use FF to browse (or Chrome if it happens to be on the machine,) but IE is basically a requirement to using Sharepoint in any real capacity, among other enterprise scenarios. The other browsers have a lot more issues in this sort of environment.

You have to go out of your way to download Chrome whereas Microsoft deep throat IE by force it with Windows and making it difficult to uninstall.

Their OS, their Apps, i saw no issues with it, also if you didn't use it, was just there.

Chrome however i see in installers now, from WinSCP asking to install Chrome and make google.com your default page.. to going to google.com in another browser being told you should install Chrome..

Hate to see the spam people get when they log into any Google tools like youtube, apps or gmail..

I've never touched Chrome, as FF doesn't give me problems. FF just has so much flexibility with its plugins and add-ons. See a nasty picture I don't like on a news site? I can nuke it. Need to transition everything from one machine to another? Febe handles that quite nicely. Noscript lets me control what does and doesn't run so I can get to what I need with minimal crap. Same with Adblock... though I know Kyle doesn't like that so I have the [H] whitelisted, but for the rest of the internet... if I don't know your website is trustworthy I start with everything turned off and then enable what I need to. If it's a site I really like or frequent a lot I whitelist it to help support the site. That's what I like is having control over what content goes across MY machine. FF does a great job with this. I've seen what some websites look like in IE vs how I see them. MY GOD. Cannot be unseen.

I've never touched Chrome, as FF doesn't give me problems. FF just has so much flexibility with its plugins and add-ons. See a nasty picture I don't like on a news site? I can nuke it. Need to transition everything from one machine to another? Febe handles that quite nicely. Noscript lets me control what does and doesn't run so I can get to what I need with minimal crap. Same with Adblock... though I know Kyle doesn't like that so I have the [H] whitelisted, but for the rest of the internet... if I don't know your website is trustworthy I start with everything turned off and then enable what I need to. If it's a site I really like or frequent a lot I whitelist it to help support the site. That's what I like is having control over what content goes across MY machine. FF does a great job with this. I've seen what some websites look like in IE vs how I see them. MY GOD. Cannot be unseen.

You haven't seen what can't be unseen until you have done 50/50 on reddit. You have been warned. :D :(:(:(:(

Kyle B, making us all chuckle for almost 2 decades. Dang, that is almost older than the internet itself!

7944-brown-nose-dog.jpg

It takes up disk space if you don't use it plus something that vulnerable should not be present on your system by default.

I think the title of the summary is unnecessarily hostile and appears unprofessional, but that aside this is still worrisome news.

Firefox is at the moment the only major multiplatform, guru-to-novice usable, browser that is Free and Open Source and designed specifically for the will of the user. Mozilla's ethic is about providing for the user's desires, privacy and security and sadly they're becoming more and more unique in this regard. Firefox isn't part of a campaign to integrate you further into a given proprietary platform, gather advertising and other data to mine, or otherwise bolster the interests of other parties, which is more than I can say for IE and Chrome (Yes, I am aware of Chromium, which while better than Chrome proper, still falls short compared to Firefox for a number of reasons in my opinion.)
Oh and as an aside - when it comes to the mobile sphere, given that the default Android browser is a form of Chrome, that's a major bonus to installed base. Users have to purposefully seek out Firefox for Android. These days, Chrome has far more advertising from the entire Google ecosystem (web and installers alike) even when it comes to the desktop version, so some version of this probably plays out on the desktop as well.

For those who care , there has been continual discussion, reports, and resources about the pitfalls of Chrome past and present - especially when it comes to security, privacy, and an open Net. It is worrisome, but not particularly surprising, when people are willing to grab out for the latest shiny offered by Google, Facebook and others that often come with significant, yet not immediately smack-in-the-face visible, costs. Google is especially insidious as they have leveraged much of their admittedly excellent earlier work to disguise the creeping infection of greedy, user-hostile policies. The vast majority of net freedom and privacy focused foundations, projects, and scholarly individuals discuss this in great depth. Doing things ethically is rarely as profitable and "flashy" as compromising, but to me it is all the more important that Mozilla and similar developers and foundations are supported whenever possible.

I think the title of the summary is unnecessarily hostile and appears unprofessional....

I think you are absolutely correct. This just makes me sure I am doing my job properly today.

Chrome trapped me years ago when they were the first to offer account syncing... since I fresh install windows probably 3 or 4 times a month on different machines it is so convenient to just log in and it installs my extensions and bookmarks for me based off of my gmail account. I don't want to switch now since I have about 500 bookmarks and it would be a huge hassle to have to get everything switched over.

Always hilarious to have you post the news Kyle. Keep up the good work.

I like my Dolphin browser on Android.

I loved Dolphin for the longest time, but went Chrome on my phone once Dolphin started running "wonky" on my 4.1.2 phone if I ran it in desktop mode.

But I swap back and forth between Chrome and Firefox on PC, oddly I wind up using Chromium on my *nix PC and Firefox on my gaming box.
I just can't bring myself to use IE once I download a 2nd browser.
Heck I couldn't use Safari on Windows, didn't like it on my iPod Touch much either.
Maybe I just like the underdogs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back