Firefox or Opera?

tekk2k

n00b
I use both , but I like opera better because of the save session features. But i was just wondering what you guys think! Which is Better FIREFOX or OPERA?

tekk2k said:
I use both , but I like opera better because of the save session features. But i was just wondering what you guys think! Which is Better FIREFOX or OPERA?
I think Firefox has an extension to save your session.

It's Firefox for me, and that is the browser of choice for this forum by a very large margin. You are in Firefox country. There was a recent poll, and the numbers were overwhelmingly in favor of Firefox. It wasn't even close. More people here use a beta Firefox than use all versions of Opera combined. :)

The poll

Xephian said:
I think Firefox has an extension to save your session.

Thats interesting, how do you actually save a session in firefox? because if firefox could do that or had that option, I would most likely switch from opera. Opera has the option to save session right in the toolbar menu. I couldn't find any option of that nature in any of the firefox menus.

mosin said:
If it exists, it is probably here.

Knock yourself out!

Thanx for the link! I searched the entire site(all 30 pages) and didn't find it. You see, the save sessions option is the only thing that makes Opera better that firefox. Until i find that option in firefox, I am gonna have to go with Opera!

Haven't we had enough of these threads?

Firefox and Opera are not direct competitors, and are not even similar other than both being non-Microsoft web browsers. Opera vs Seamonkey (the Mozilla Suite) is a better comparison.

tekk2k said:
Thanx for the link! I searched the entire site(all 30 pages) and didn't find it. You see, the save sessions option is the only thing that makes Opera better that firefox. Until i find that option in firefox, I am gonna have to go with Opera!

Tab Mix Plus is a combination tab management extension, and has an option to save sessions.

SessionSaver is a stand-alone session saver.

The alpha of the next TMP has advanced session saving features, to the point where it pretty much nullifies SessionSaver.

mosin said:
Well, I suppose it is settled then. :)

It should be...lol. But just in case I would like to see him read a little about Session Saver . Its a really nice feature, but you have to keep track of your saved sessions. Too many old sessions could cause problems...

"make sure you check size of pref.js - keep in mind Sessionsaver saves all session info into this one file (which means that Firefox is essentially regenerating/recreating whole prefs.js going through prefs-1.js and pref.js.moztmp ...) every 10 seconds for auto-save. If prefs.js file is big writing will take time and leads to substantial hard drive activity!

If prefs.js size is more than 100KB then consider trimming it (remove old saved sessions!). I had 1MB and performance was so bad it made Firefox to trash for 5 seconds (or longer) essentially blocking any interaction with Firefox (especially when editing form ...) - not good ..."

If you are really good at routine maintenance there should be no problems. I just wanted to throw this out there so noone installs this, doesnt keep track of old sessions and has problems, then comes back here complaining how bad FF is...lol.

mosin said:
It's Firefox for me, and that is the browser of choice for this forum by a very large margin. You are in Firefox country. There was a recent poll, and the numbers were overwhelmingly in favor of Firefox. It wasn't even close. More people here use a beta Firefox than use all versions of Opera combined. :)

The poll
Bahh you beat me to posting my own poll!

In any case, use what you want, There is no "Best" browser right now.

For me it's Firefox because I have it customized exactly the way I like it. I'm very comfortable with it and have no need to switch. Also, I'm hoping that maybe at some point in the future (when I have no schoolwork to do) I'd like to read up on how to create my own extensions and make a few. Plus, how could I ever live without the Web Developer extension?!

I'll admit that Opera is a little faster though. Not in terms of loading webpages, but in terms of startup times and how long it takes to open a new window. Also, Firefox behaves pretty annoyingly when dealing with Java applets (long loading times...). As far as I know Opera doesn't have issues with that. But those issues can be ignored since startup time is extremely negligible compared to the amount of time I spend browsing the Internet. I also hardly see Java applets anymore.

Terpfen said:
Tab Mix Plus is a combination tab management extension, and has an option to save sessions.

SessionSaver is a stand-alone session saver.

The alpha of the next TMP has advanced session saving features, to the point where it pretty much nullifies SessionSaver.

Will the next alpha of TMP include being able to save a session from a crash? This is the only reason I have SessionSaver installed.

I used to hate Opera, but with version 8.5 I far prefer it to firefox. The text-image magnification feature works great, the tabs are very intelligently set up, the inteface is elegant and attractive. Flash support works, it loads fast, and the auto-session save is useful.

digitalman said:
Will the next alpha of TMP include being able to save a session from a crash? This is the only reason I have SessionSaver installed.

I believe so.

Opera has always been better than firefox. Opera has been the most inovative browsing software on the face of the planet. The new rendering engine in merlin now in beta, when complete will be the death of firefox. Also whats up with CNN they just announced that Dick Chenney has been taken into custody for obstruction of justice and pergury? anyone else catching this?

ferrisnox said:
Opera has always been better than firefox. Opera has been the most inovative browsing software on the face of the planet. The new rendering engine in merlin now in beta, when complete will be the death of firefox. Also whats up with CNN they just announced that Dick Chenney has been taken into custody for obstruction of justice and pergury? anyone else catching this?

"Opera has always been better than Firefox" and "Cheney has been taken into custody for obstruction of justice" are both false statements.

Terpfen said:
"Opera has always been better than Firefox" and "Cheney has been taken into custody for obstruction of justice" are both false statements.
rofl0an.gif

Well fucking said for the former part...as for the latter, who gives a damn?! :D

Shadow2531 said:
Here's another discussion that addresses some features specifically.

http://my.opera.com/community/forums/topic.dml?id=107890

Always take everything seen in Opera Forums with a grain of salt. The most arrogant bunch of ***holes Ive ever seen. Most are very knowledgeable people, but too damn proud to take criticism of Opera. They want to compare "out of the box" browsers. And that would be great if everyone used FF(or Opera for that matter) as is. But thats not typical. The extension system is a part of FF and has to be included in comparing the 2. And with over 700 extensions available, theres not much at all FF cannot do that Opera can. Just recently, most of the Opera Forum regulars are starting to "explain" how customizable Opera is...but they forget that the average user doesnt know how to write "code" to user.js , with FF you just download and install. neeraj_deshmukh, haavard,DJ SkaM,TreeGo,and Userdude, among many others, are too one sided. Face it, your in their house, and your not going to get a fair comparison at their camp.

^^

I've caught a little heat for just showing some of Opera's faults a few times, but it's not a problem because I know what I'm talking about, so it's not hard to defend my comparisons.

As for comparing out of the box browsers, it is often a good thing to do. We can't expect everyone to know how to customize Opera and make their own user js or install userjs, but we also can't expect people to know how to install extensions and customize Firefox either. Those type of comparisons are usually targeted for people coming from IE where either browser can be a pain to take on. New opera users mostly have a problem with the address field being below the tabs. They should actually change the default to look like other browsers (which is not hard to do if you know how). Of course Opera is doing all kinds of work to satify new users.

In Opera, most have to customize too many things to get it the way they want. In Firefox, most have to install too many extensions to get things the way they want. Whether you want to install too many extensions or customize too many existing features is up to you.

Extensions make Firefox. User js helps improve Opera.

I don't know if you noticed, but both are learning from each other. You can see in the newest builds of each.

For anyone deciding which one to use, make a list of things you *need* to be able to do and find out which browser satifies your needs in the least annoying way.

neeraj_deshmukh, haavard,DJ SkaM,TreeGo,and Userdude are all very helpful. Just don't interpret their confidence with arrogance. If you come in acting like an idiot though they naturally will get defensive. If you posted a "Make me switch to Opera" thread where you really don't want to, then that's your fault or if you posted "opera needs to be open source' just for the hell of it, then that's your fault. :)

Anyway, as for Firefox, it's starting to get better. 1.5rc is definitely more appealing than previous versions. The interface is starting to get more responsive, but I'm waiting for it to get better. (not planning on switching to it though)

If you go to the Opera forums and post something like:

"I'm an experienced Firefox user and I use many extensions to satisfy my needs. There are certain things I need to do and Firefox does them well. Here is that list..... However, I'm also interested in Opera, but I need help in obtaining the same functionality I'm getting in Firefox. Could you go down the list and help me out? Also, if you feel there's a more efficient way to do a certain task than the way I do it in Firefox, please show me. Thanks"

Then, if Opera doesn't satify your needs, say:

"Thanks for the help guys. You've made my Opera experience better, but unfortunately, it's still not as good as Firefox in my opinion. Here is a list of things I think would help Opera work better for *me*."

You'll definitely get a better response with tones like that. Of course I'm sure it ticks you off when people say, "Opera doesn't support extensions, they're problematic, unstable and insecure". Some people are just being a pain in the ass, but do note that some people really do have those problems with extensions. Just be sure to know when someone's being an idiot and when someone's really telling you the truth. This applies to all forums though.

As for mozillazine forums, most couldn't care less what browser you use or why.

This post is relevant to this thread as it describes the type of community you're dealing with. The Opera community is definitely fun.

Anyway, for the OP, how do you feel about printing in Opera. Does it suck?

I'm a firefox guy but I would have to say that's mainly because that's what I started using first. I like Opera but I know how to customize firefox to be what I like.

That being said, how many of you firefox people know about the about:config option of firefox? I don't remember what all can be configured/tweaked with it but there are a lot of things you can customize. Just type in about:config in the address bar and hit enter. You will be presented with a list of options that you can turn on and off and you can even add your own options to the list if you know what to do. I have a book at home that tells a little about this feature of firefox but in no way explains everything that can be done with it. I'll have to see if I can remember to list some things later when I get home that can be done with it.

Shadow2531 said:
We can't expect everyone to know how to customize Opera and make their own user js or install userjs, but we also can't expect people to know how to install extensions and customize Firefox either.

We think alike on customizing Opera, but when it comes to FF I do not agree. Installing FF extensions is no harder than installing FF, Opera, or any other program. The user had to download and install FF, it wouldnt be a stretch at all to think it easy for them to click an extension in which it installs itself. Themes are the same. You cannot do this with Opera user.js

neeraj_deshmukh, haavard,DJ SkaM,TreeGo,and Userdude are all very helpful. Just don't interpret their confidence with arrogance. If you come in acting like an idiot though they naturally will get defensive. If you posted a "Make me switch to Opera" thread where you really don't want to, then that's your fault or if you posted "opera needs to be open source' just for the hell of it, then that's your fault. :)

Totally understand, and agree with you. But theres been plenty of times,and if your interested ill PM you, when someone suggests or shows a comparison and they call that "subjective thinking". Its their pride showing through, and hurting their arguement. I assume you frequent the forums so you should know how many people are dissatisfied with the forum lately.

Of course I'm sure it ticks you off when people say, "Opera doesn't support extensions, they're problematic, unstable and insecure". Some people are just being a pain in the ass, but do note that some people really do have those problems with extensions. Just be sure to know when someone's being an idiot and when someone's really telling you the truth. This applies to all forums though.

Actually that doesnt tick me off. Ive heard the fore mentioned Opera members all say that at one time or another about extensions. I realize they are trying to downplay the benefits of FF extension system to users who may not know much about, let alone fix extensions when they break. What does tick me off is their attitude with non-Opera users. I could care less what browser someone uses. I cannot say that about them. All one has to do is mention Asa Dotzler and WATCH OUT!

I dont want you or anyone else to think I dont like Opera....its a damn fine product and I use it almost as much as FF. But their forum members need to loosen up and not come off as a bunch of ***holes.

Back