Firefox memory leak?

enlightenedby42

Supreme [H]ardness
I apologize if this has been discussed before, but I'm in the habit of leaving a bunch of multi tabbed Firefox windows open for extended periods so I don't have to get my stuff like I want it every morning or whatever.

I notice that after a couple of days of this, it becomes rather unresponsive (cursor not recognizing links on the first try, buttons not responding to clicks etc). Each time this happens, if I check the task manager memory usage is usually well over 150 megs, and as much as 200+. Simply restarting the browser consistently helps.

I assume others have run into this, but are there any community fixes or workarounds? I suppose I could quit being lazy and close my browser a few times a day, but I was curious if there were any ways to repair the problem. It's the ONLY thing I've ever found to be a pain about Firefox.

firefox 3 alpha is the current work around lewl. I wish there were ways to alleviate because I hate when firefox is using more memory then hl2.exe.

As far as I can tell the new FF alpha 3 build is pretty stable. Haven't had any problems with it yet, and it's got some nice new features. As much as I hate the memory leak problem, I can deal with it with 2GB of ram, as I don't run FF when I'm running other resource-intensive programs. Try the alpha 3 though, it's your best bet.

As far as I can tell the new FF alpha 3 build is pretty stable. Haven't had any problems with it yet, and it's got some nice new features. As much as I hate the memory leak problem, I can deal with it with 2GB of ram, as I don't run FF when I'm running other resource-intensive programs. Try the alpha 3 though, it's your best bet.
Cool, thanks. I'm running 2 gigs on both my machines as well, and my only issue with the leak is that FF becomes nearly unresponsive once it gets big enough, which is well before it actually uses up a significant percentage of my available memory.

Will give it a shot when I get home, thanks. Always curious to see what new things are on the table anyway.

Oh and actually sorry I was kind of behind the times there, alpha 6 is out already. Try that. Haha.

Back