Firefox Jerky Scrolling

ASIA911

[H]ard|Gawd
If anyone having a jerky/stuttering/lagging when scrolling a webpage in Firefox, here's a fix.

Type in "about:config" in Firefox (address bar) and enter general.smoothScroll under filter. Double click on general.smoothScroll to set it to true.

Or else just install add-on smoothwheel.

I don't understand why they didn't set it to smooth scrolling to true in the first place. First I thought Firefox 3.5.1 was buggy and lagging when tryng to scroll but found out that my IE8 scrolling was very smooth.

Well some of us prefer the clicky scrolling ... syncs well with the MX Revolution ...

Well some of us prefer the clicky scrolling ... syncs well with the MX Revolution ...

I don't know if everyone is getting the same issues. When using the clicky scrolling. It lag once and awhile for a second when either scrolling up or down before it jerky jump to where it's supposed to be. It's like scrolling with a rusty or broken spring. Or sometime it doesn't even want to scroll when you put your mouse over the webpage not until you have to click inside the page to get the scrolling to work or you have to keep scrolling the middle mouse until it start scrolling. Pretty annoying.

Last edited:
I did this a while back and didnt see much improvement, is still enabled.

I only get slowdowns when pictures are scrolling, text alone is smooth enough.
When scrolling pictures, my CPU use on 1 core jumps to 100% so the browser becomes CPU limited, lol.

I did this a while back and didnt see much improvement, is still enabled.

I only get slowdowns when pictures are scrolling, text alone is smooth enough.
When scrolling pictures, my CPU use on 1 core jumps to 100% so the browser becomes CPU limited, lol.

Yeah it pretty laggy when scrolling on pages with lots of pics or loading pics. But with this enabled, it's much smoother for me and I'm not getting this annoying jerky scrolling that keep on lagging.

You think Firefox is laggy? You should try Thunderbird on Ubuntu. Extreme lag and all that displays is text.

If anyone having a jerky/stuttering/lagging when scrolling a webpage in Firefox, here's a fix.

Type in "about:config" in Firefox (address bar) and enter general.smoothScroll under filter. Double click on general.smoothScroll to set it to true.

Or else just install add-on smoothwheel.

I don't understand why they didn't set it to smooth scrolling to true in the first place. First I thought Firefox 3.5.1 was buggy and lagging when tryng to scroll but found out that my IE8 scrolling was very smooth.

um this is in the normal options called Smooth Scrolling LOL

Options > Advanced > General

I don't know if everyone is getting the same issues. When using the clicky scrolling. It lag once and awhile for a second when either scrolling up or down before it jerky jump to where it's supposed to be. It's like scrolling with a rusty or broken spring. Or sometime it doesn't even want to scroll when you put your mouse over the webpage not until you have to click inside the page to get the scrolling to work or you have to keep scrolling the middle mouse until it start scrolling. Pretty annoying.

That shouldn't happen, mine works perfectly. Now granted I have mine set up to go "smooth" whenever acceleration on my spin is pretty high. Normal casual scrolling is set to "click."

A rare issue is when it sets to be smooth in every program, but that's easily fixed but simply opening the Logitech settings program and re-applying what you'd selected in the first place.

Back