Firefox - How to disable automatically scrolling when images load?

RS3RS

[H]F Junkie
Update on problem:

Say I want to browse the "post your workstation" thread, and I get to it by clicking on a link to the thread under "Last Post". Of course, the thread opens with the page scrolled to the last post, because that's what you clicked on. So, you hit the Home key to scroll to the top of the thread, because you want to read the whole thing. The images are loading, and there's no problem, but as soon as the LAST image finishs loading, the page jumps to the very last post, which is annoying when you have to go back and find your place again. That's what's driving me insane.

So, is there any way that you guys know of to disable it? Thanks :)

--------------- Original Post --------------

You know how if you go to, say, the 2005 Post your Workstation thread, and while the images are loading, you scroll down the page to read posts / look at the pictures, and once the images are done loading, it automatically scrolls the page to the last picture posted on said page?

I find this really annoying, so is there any way to disable it? Did some googling, and all I could find was stuff on "autoscrolling", which isn't this... Thanks! :)

i was wondering about this myself
subscribed :p

Small "bump" back up to the first page. Anyone have any idea?

i don't think there's any way to fix that. It's due to the page being resized once a picture is downloaded and appears. if the site was well written, then they have size descriptions for the image to allow it to be sized correctly at the beginning, but on forums thats pretty much impossible. my solution is just load the page in another tab and wait until its downloaded before i read.

Dagatech said:
i don't think there's any way to fix that. It's due to the page being resized once a picture is downloaded and appears. if the site was well written, then they have size descriptions for the image to allow it to be sized correctly at the beginning, but on forums thats pretty much impossible. my solution is just load the page in another tab and wait until its downloaded before i read.

Well, the thing is, I could understand if it was that, but that's not really the problem. The thing is, if I open a thread with a lot of pictures like that, and scroll to the VERY top, and let all of the images load, as soon as they are all done loading, Firefox jumps the page to the very last image posted by a user.

I really don't understand it. I jumps to it no matter what part of the page I'm on, and I've only noticed it on here, it doesn't do it on, say, ebay auctions with a lot of pictures or anything.

Thats weird, FF doesnt do that to me. Do you have any extensions that might be causing a problem?

YARDofSTUF said:
Thats weird, FF doesnt do that to me. Do you have any extensions that might be causing a problem?

Nope, none at all. If it means anything, it also does it on my laptop and my girlfriend's PC. All Firefox computers, zero extentions.

PS: I'm not going crazy. Really, I promise. :p

RS3RS said:
Nope, none at all. If it means anything, it also does it on my laptop and my girlfriend's PC. All Firefox computers, zero extentions.

PS: I'm not going crazy. Really, I promise. :p
if your using firefox without extensions ..................................... why?

check your preferences in the UserCP page? Could be there's a setting in there for "go to last post" or something like that

Dagatech said:
It's due to the page being resized once a picture is downloaded and appears. if the site was well written, then they have size descriptions for the image to allow it to be sized correctly at the beginning, but on forums thats pretty much impossible. my solution is just load the page in another tab and wait until its downloaded before i read.

That's basically what's happening. If you try it in Internet Explorer you pretty much get the same result.

RS3RS said:
if I open a thread with a lot of pictures like that, and scroll to the VERY top, and let all of the images load, as soon as they are all done loading, Firefox jumps the page to the very last image posted by a user.

I really don't understand it. I jumps to it no matter what part of the page I'm on, and I've only noticed it on here, it doesn't do it on, say, ebay auctions with a lot of pictures or anything.

You do realize that if you click the Thread links under the "Last Post" column on the hardforums main page then it will go to the last post in that topic. Other vBulletin forums do the same, like http://www.redflagdeals.com/.

N_Raged said:
You do realize that if you click the Thread links under the "Last Post" column on the hardforums main page then it will go to the last post in that topic. Other vBulletin forums do the same, like http://www.redflagdeals.com/.

Thank you. This wasn't directly the problem, but it is the reason why I noticed it only does it sometimes. Now that I know what causes it, here's a more thorough explination of what it does:

Say I want to browse the "post your workstation" thread, and I get to it by clicking on a link to the thread under "Last Post". Of course, the thread opens with the page scrolled to the last post, because that's what you clicked on. So, you hit the Home key to scroll to the top of the thread, because you want to read the whole thing. The images are loading, and there's no problem, but as soon as the LAST image finishs loading, the page jumps to the very last post, which is annoying when you have to go back and find your place again. That's what's driving me insane.

So, is there any way that you guys know of to disable it? Thanks :)

RS3RS said:
but as soon as the LAST image finishs loading, the page jumps to the very last post

Well that's how the "Last Post" feature is scripted, there's no avoiding it... except to browse to the page manually and not clicking the "Last Post" link.

Back