Firefox has pushed me as far as I'm going to be pushed

And the latest firefox update just broke all fixes (again) I implemented against the god awful proton ui design. It's like they are trying to drive away users.

I think Bing sucks balls, sadly so does Duck, Duck, Go. Hence I'm forced to use the monopolistic alternative, and I hate it.

When I want to find something that I suspect google is intentionally filtering, I use DDG. Otherwise I just forget it exists.

And the latest firefox update just broke all fixes (again) I implemented against the god awful proton ui design. It's like they are trying to drive away users.
I've been using FF for many years (10+), have auto updates, and have not had anything break in years. I don't go nuts with extensions, just have an adblocker, no issues. Like, what are you doing that things are breaking for you???

I've only had few notable issues with FF:
- that time Google got particularly evil and broke YouTube on Firefox (no fault of FF, but I did start using Chrome at the time for YT)
- some websites flat out don't work with FF, without throwing errors. Annoying, but rare and not the end of the world.

I'm a Linux user, and my go to browser of choice is still Firefox. Unrelated, though, I've tried to do my best to take a hiatus from anything "Google", and I feel a whole lot better. If you try avoiding all things Google for a year, you'll be amazed. I don't think anyone does more to "invade" your space as Google does. End PSA.

Also, DDG leverages Bing, but still, doesn't track you like everything on Google does. I would say "don't feed the troll" (that is, Google), but man, after limiting my Google use, they aren't a troll, they live in a much deeper and darker hole.

So, for me, Firefox, with (at least) NoScript.

I've been using FF for many years (10+), have auto updates, and have not had anything break in years. I don't go nuts with extensions, just have an adblocker, no issues. Like, what are you doing that things are breaking for you???
You said it yourself you are not using any extensions and add-ons, just use whatever they give you as is, then what is there to break?

First they yeeted classic extensions with the quantum update, some of which I still couldn't properly replace.
Then they introduced the god awful proton ui, which is terrible, but they left in the option to disable it
Only to remove the option to opt out of proton in the very next update, WTF would they even include it if they were going to remove it anyway?
Then I was forced to use userchrome to get back the look I preferred, but the 96 update just seems to ignore userchrome.css

And there is no downgrade option in FF, and if I try to go back to a previous version that breaks profiles, so that's a no go too.

I really can't see what the issue is with the Proton UI: It's a browser, it presents like a browser, it works like a browser. How many extensions do you need? I run uBlock, Lastpass and a user agent switcher - They all run fine.

As for Google compatibility, it would be nice if they didn't break Gmail/Youtube/Google Workspace logins under Chromium on the Raspberry Pi; as logging back into all my accounts every session is becoming more than a little tiring. I don't have any issues with Firefox ESR on the same machine.

I really can't see what the issue is with the Proton UI: It's a browser, it presents like a browser, it works like a browser. How many extensions do you need? I run uBlock, Lastpass and a user agent switcher - They all run fine.

As for Google compatibility, it would be nice if they didn't break Gmail/Youtube/Google Workspace logins under Chromium on the Raspberry Pi; as logging back into all my accounts every session is becoming more than a little tiring. I don't have any issues with Firefox ESR on the same machine.
Trying to sync my google with chromium on my Pi just freezes it indefinitely.

I am getting increasingly irate as well.

One of the recent updates re-enabled Pocket, which I had explicitly disabled.

They are starting to behave like a data mining piece of shit corporation.

I'd switch, but all the alternatives are worse in this regard...

I've been using Vivaldi recently. It's far from ideal but it's tolerable once you get used to it. Just dumped Safari on my iPhone and replaced it with Firefox. Safari insists on opening up the previous website you were at and there's no way to turn it off. Totally unacceptable.

All browsers suck but some suck worse than others. :(

All browsers suck but some suck worse than others. :(

Yeah, ever since DRM was integrated into HTML5, it is impossible to create a truly free and open source browser, and we wind up with the shit we have. :(

The internet had promise in the 90's, now it is just a tool for corporations to spy on people and push their shitty trinkets on them.

There are days when I wish the Internet (apart from academia) didn't exist. It was a lot more fun back then.

The internet was great even after it was all academia.

What ruined it was when suddenly people expected to make money on it.

Back in the 90's and early 2000's if there was a server you really liked, it was probably run on a spare computer under some hobbyists desk.

It was never intended to be their job. If they put up a banner ad it was just to try to offset some of the bandwidth/hosting costs.

The internet went sideways as soon as people decided they were going to make it their full time job and earn money running their blog, or their forums, or their website or their YouTube channel.

Same with YouTube. Back in the beginnig it was a pretty decent clip sharing site. Then as soon as Google started paying content creators ad money, it went to complete shit.

We can fix it. We just have to ban any and a.collection and monetization of user data.

All of the data brokers and all of the software/apps that collect data and all of the ad services that use that data for advertising just need to be permanently killed.

Once that happens we will have the good internet back. A demonetized internet, where every site that is on it is there because some geek has a passion for the topic and volunteers their own time without earning a dime.

The internet was great even after it was all academia.

What ruined it was when suddenly people expected to make money on it.

Back in the 90's and early 2000's if there was a server you really liked, it was probably run on a spare computer under some hobbyists desk.

It was never intended to be their job. If they put up a banner ad it was just to try to offset some of the bandwidth/hosting costs.

The internet went sideways as soon as people decided they were going to make it their full time job and earn money running their blog, or their forums, or their website or their YouTube channel.

Same with YouTube. Back in the beginnig it was a pretty decent clip sharing site. Then as soon as Google started paying content creators ad money, it went to complete shit.

We can fix it. We just have to ban any and a.collection and monetization of user data.

All of the data brokers and all of the software/apps that collect data and all of the ad services that use that data for advertising just need to be permanently killed.

Once that happens we will have the good internet back. A demonetized internet, where every site that is on it is there because some geek has a passion for the topic and volunteers their own time without earning a dime.
Will never happen. Bandwidth requirements have changed. Back then it was all just a few rich hobbyists, now it's every dumbfuk with a cellphone, plus botnets. Also html5 and all the web programming has turned into hot garbage. People used to handwrite website's. Now it's a hodgepodge of stolen or Foss code and made in a WYSIWYG editor. I used to read news sites on 26.4kbps just fine, now 80mbps is barely good enough.

Back