Firefox has pushed me as far as I'm going to be pushed

I may be the outlier here, but I generally have at least three browsers installed, currently I have Edge, Firefox, and Brave. All of them work fine for what I do

I may be the outlier here, but I generally have at least three browsers installed, currently I have Edge, Firefox, and Brave. All of them work fine for what I do
Edge and Brave, Brave is used 99.99999999999% of the time, Edge once in a blue moon for some crappy coded websites I may come across.

I always consider it hard to distinguish between Brave recommendations coming from a place of a user liking certain features or because they have a financial interest in it, given its BAT crypto aspect. So many Brave recommendations I've seen online are basically just one word answers, 'Brave', 'I use Brave', etc, usually giving no reasoning, which doesn't help this impression.

I always consider it hard to distinguish between Brave recommendations coming from a place of a user liking certain features or because they have a financial interest in it, given its BAT crypto aspect. So many Brave recommendations I've seen online are basically just one word answers, 'Brave', 'I use Brave', etc, usually giving no reasoning, which doesn't help this impression.
Hey maaaaannn.... the Braves won the world series

Edge is Chrome with a skin and Bing search by default...

...May as well use Chrome.

While I respect your desire for the freedom of choice; it's a bit foolish to neglect updating any software that directly interfaces with any networks, especially the Internet. Pretty sure chrome based browsers require updates just as frequently as Mozilla ones do.

While I respect your desire for the freedom of choice; it's a bit foolish to neglect updating any software that directly interfaces with any networks, especially the Internet. Pretty sure chrome based browsers require updates just as frequently as Mozilla ones do.

Updates are not the issue. Updates breaking things is.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
Security, built in blocking of most crap you need 3rd party plugins for in Chrome and Firefox...I could care less about the crypto donation system it uses, i never use it. Out of the box Brave is more secure.

Updates are not the issue. Updates breaking things is.
This is more of an issue with large multinational corporations (Google) virtually owning the internet, they took something open and free and manipulated it to suit their own vested interests - However, even then it's very rare to find website compatibility issues under Firefox.

Usually any compatibility issues happen with Government or banking sites, and even then I swear it's due to the fact that they're optimized for IE (the last time a large multinational corporation tried to manipulate standards to suit their own vested interests).

Security, built in blocking of most crap you need 3rd party plugins for in Chrome and Firefox...I could care less about the crypto donation system it uses, i never use it. Out of the box Brave is more secure.
Ublock and a PiHole take care of all my security/blocking. In fact, ublock actually works better under Firefox than it does under Chromium based browsers, this is something I've experienced first hand - Under Chromium based browsers YouTube ads have a nasty habit of just 'sneaking through' from time to time, under Firefox that doesn't happen.

Yo1kU0B.png

That's great for those who can do that, but 99.9999% of the population does not even know what PiHole is, or how to even install their own and run it...so for them, a browser that does it all, or more than the default Chrome / Edge /Firefox out of the box, is the next best thing :) I run PfSense with pfblockerNG and DNSBL, so I feel ya, I like that level of control over my networks.

I left Firefox when they did that update that killed all their best plugins a few years back. I always loved it till then and had been using since early years, I still use older versions occasionally for certain plugins that still work.
In an age of forked browsers with good security/privacy features default, plugins win.
One thing, I did give up on chrome fork youtube downloader and run standalone programs for it now.

The latest in a long line of shit changes they've implemented is a non stoppable update nag. They can kiss my ass, I'm done with Mozilla.

So what's a good replacement ?

TIA
Pale Moon + Brave for broken sites

That's great for those who can do that, but 99.9999% of the population does not even know what PiHole is, or how to even install their own and run it...so for them, a browser that does it all, or more than the default Chrome / Edge /Firefox out of the box, is the next best thing :) I run PfSense with pfblockerNG and DNSBL, so I feel ya, I like that level of control over my networks.
I'm not really talking about the unwashed masses, I'm talking about the kinds that lurk here - And I'd like to think that most here know how to set up a Pi-Hole, it's really not that hard.

Technically, it's easier than setting up a PFsense firewall/router.

FireFox went nutz updating on my Win7 machine. Virtually evertime I used it. I would delay it and it would nag the shit out of me until I did it. This carried on for quite a while and was going to switch but was too lazy. It has calmed down now with what I would call regularly paced updates.

The only effective way I've seen to disable update notifications in Firefox has been the second method in this answer, using the policies.json. However this also disables all updates (I don't care personally since I only use FF portably for testing specific versions).

Trying to like Vivaldi but it's not easy. Too many "suggestions". I can't figure out an easy way to add websites to the start page. Had to hunt to find out how to get rid of the stupid side bar. Imported bookmarks are in a separate folder and not organized as they were in FF. Some bookmarks are MIA. Got to figure out how to lose the orange title bar. And I'm sure the list will get bigger before it gets smaller.

This morning Firefox broke the last straw. I access my local servers via IPMI and the latest update refused to display the web page even after I added an exception. Firefox is history.

Got most of the issues ironed out. Just takes a bit of time. I'm liking the start page and it's quite a bit faster than Firefox. As soon as I can get my bookmarks sorted out I'll uninstall Firefox and that will be the end. I may keep Chrome for awhile just in case I run into problems. But so far I'm liking Vivaldi. It's not perfect but it's not bad.

Then stop trolling.
So..Any time someone has an opinion that you don't agree with, that's trolling? :rolleyes:

I use Edge, to install a different browser - That's the purpose of Edge. There's a reason why MS are pushing so hard for you to use their free browser that comes packaged with their OS, and it's got nothing to do with MS being generous.

I dislike Firefox but not for the reasons the OP mentioned. Firefox has steadily gotten worse and a lot of people have been turned off. One of my critiques is the Pocket thing they force on the user. I had to use a web search to know how to get rid of it - the 'about:config' method and changing related values to false didn't work. You have to disable it in the Firefox Settings. Anyway, it might be a minor annoyance for some people or maybe they even use it. I dunno. But, I don't like that they implement it as part of the browser and it's up to the user to deal with it. There's other complaints but I don't think readers want a long post on this.

I started using Brave browser, recently. It's Chromium with a focus on privacy? Okay. I'll see how it goes. There's less and less satisfactory choices.

Reactions: travm
like this
I'm not really talking about the unwashed masses, I'm talking about the kinds that lurk here - And I'd like to think that most here know how to set up a Pi-Hole, it's really not that hard.

Technically, it's easier than setting up a PFsense firewall/router.
Love my pi-hole and yes and was easier to set that up compared to my OPNsense firewall lol.

What in the world are you blocking though by filtering over 2 million domains? What lists are you using? I add developer Dan's lists and that puts me at 496k blocked. Nothing gets through on my phone.

Love my pi-hole and yes and was easier to set that up compared to my OPNsense firewall lol.

What in the world are you blocking though by filtering over 2 million domains? What lists are you using? I add developer Dan's lists and that puts me at 496k blocked. Nothing gets through on my phone.
I've got the Steven Black and the Chad Mayfield blocklists added. The amount of Android, Apple, Google and MS 'phone home' attempts being blocked is incredible - I've only got one Windows machine on the network.

20.4% of all traffic is being blocked and myself other family members aren't inconvenianced at all - As far as we're concerned the internet works as it always did.

What is so wrong with Bing? I hear this all the time, yet the reasons are the same as to avoid Google.
Or do peeps perceive that it really doesn't work?
I like Bing better. It gives more forum results which tend to be more helpful than reddit for example.

I think Bing sucks balls, sadly so does Duck, Duck, Go. Hence I'm forced to use the monopolistic alternative, and I hate it.

I also believe that Firefox is nowhere near as bad as it's become 'trendy' to claim. Hating on Firefox is now at that same point when it was trendy for people to hate on Cats. Now people love Cats and Cat video's.

I like Bing better. It gives more forum results which tend to be more helpful than reddit for example.

Bing is hands down the best when it come to more personal materials.

To OP: if you want things to just work, stick with the masses' stuff, use Chrome or IE. Anything else you're playing dice with support, and even then you'll need to stick to a specific, known good version for many of the services from big corporations. It's not just on Firefox.

Since this has turned mostly into a 'what I use' thread... I use Chrome for work (almost all our serve traffic is Chrome so that's what I test on the most), Firefox for personal on desktop, Safari on phone/tablet.

Love and use what you want. (y)

Back