Firefox has a mind of its own and likes to freeze at random.

Hyper_Psycho

2[H]4U
So my Firefox has been acting up lately. It does this freeze for a second, fade out, and come back thing every few hours. Also, it just hangs up sometimes at random. For example a minute ago when I restored my session:

Now I consulted google, mozilla forums, etc, but I wonder if my overclock has something to do it?

If not, what's going on, why is firefox hating me. We have been together for many years now, and I thought our relationship has gotten stronger. :(

Is it only Firefox that does this? My GF's laptop does the exact same thing with Firefox and other apps, and in her case it's the HDD.

If it only does it with Firefox, you could download the newest portable version (so it won't mess with your existing installation) and see if it happens with a fresh instance of FF.

Is it only Firefox that does this? My GF's laptop does the exact same thing with Firefox and other apps, and in her case it's the HDD.

If it only does it with Firefox, you could download the newest portable version (so it won't mess with your existing installation) and see if it happens with a fresh instance of FF.

Well, to be quite honest, I cannot exit out of MS Word without it freezing. It works like a charm, but once I X out of the last instance I get the "it ain't working, lets look online" message.

So it could be the hard drive. Hmmm.

I'll give portable FF a try. See what happens.

Given that I'm more poor than I was when I was in college right now, what would be a good SATA hard drive to replace my current machine? Are Raptors still all the rage?

Given that I'm more poor than I was when I was in college right now, what would be a good SATA hard drive to replace my current machine? Are Raptors still all the rage?

Raptors still offer very good performance (mainly in access times) over other mechanical drives, but they don't get a lot of love around here now that SSDs are all the rage. I don't know what your budget would be but most people here will tell you to go for a cheap 30/40GB SSD for ~$100 before getting a Raptor/VelociRaptor. If you need more storage than that and don't mind to wait on the price of SSDs to come down further, there are plenty of good options for less than $100.

The early alpha/beta versions of 3.6 did this a lot.

What ver. are you running?

I've had this same exact problem since Firefox 3.5.3 and into 3.6 but not as much in 3.6.1.

I have a AMD Phenom II X4 810 and you have a Core 2, so CPU isn't a problem. I've already tried turning off ALL add-ons and it doesn't fix it. What happens is when I open a new tab and it tries to load a webpage in it, Firefox will temporarily freeze for a second to 5 seconds then resume.

I've also noticed this when Firefox exceeds 10 tabs open and/or goes over 300 MB of RAM usage.

I've had this same exact problem since Firefox 3.5.3 and into 3.6 but not as much in 3.6.1.

I have a AMD Phenom II X4 810 and you have a Core 2, so CPU isn't a problem. I've already tried turning off ALL add-ons and it doesn't fix it. What happens is when I open a new tab and it tries to load a webpage in it, Firefox will temporarily freeze for a second to 5 seconds then resume.

I've also noticed this when Firefox exceeds 10 tabs open and/or goes over 300 MB of RAM usage.

Hmmm ... maybe I need to upgrade to 3.6.1

I'm having great luck with the 3.7 Alpha. I had a few random issues with 3.5/3.6 builds, but since I switched to the Nightly, they've vanished.

I'm having great luck with the 3.7 Alpha. I had a few random issues with 3.5/3.6 builds, but since I switched to the Nightly, they've vanished.

I might have to check that out.

I think my problem is either extensions/grease monkey related ... or my hard drive is going bonkers

I upgraded to Minefield, and it is much worse than 3.5.7 and 3.6 ... It is kinda weird as nearly all of my plugins are gone....

For example anything with flash makes the page lag. For example if I open a bunch of stuff from reddit.com in tabs, it just freezes and then comes back.

So far 3.7a has frozen about two dozen times and crashed twice.

Word, and all other programs are working fine. I think this is a FF issue solely.

At least before I was getting a 'script is unresponsive' error. Now nothing.

Try disabling the crash recovery feature:

To disable the crash recovery feature, set browser.sessionstore.resume_from_crash to false:

* Type about:config in the Location Bar
* Press Enter
* Find browser.sessionstore.resume_from_crash
* Double click to set it to false

It can make firefox glitch at times when it is constantly auto saving the current session.

no, will that not delete all of my passwords, history, prefs ...?

If you create a new profile you can keep your old one too. The new profile will have nothing and be like a fresh install, you can switch back to your old one though at any time.

You use the profile manager to do it.
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_Manager

Try disabling the crash recovery feature:

It can make firefox glitch at times when it is constantly auto saving the current session.

If you create a new profile you can keep your old one too. The new profile will have nothing and be like a fresh install, you can switch back to your old one though at any time.

You use the profile manager to do it.
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_Manager

cool, ill give it a try and report back ... thanks on the help :D

Back