Firefox Fork “Pale Moon” Receives First Major Update since November 2016

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
While Mozilla’s official Quantum-powered browser has released to much success, there are plenty of Firefox forks out there for those who miss deprecated features such as NPAPI plugins. One of the more popular forks is Pale Moon, whose Windows and Linux versions have been updated to 28.0.0 this week, ushering in improvements to both its rendering and JavaScript engine, as well as WebGL2 support.

Despite all the updates, Moonchild is keen to stress certain things haven’t changed -- unlike Firefox, for example, Pale Moon continues to support NPAPI plugins, complete themes and a fully customizable user interface. There is also no DRM built into the browser, although third-party plugins such as Silverlight are supported.

You mean Firefox ESR 52 that stops getting security updates come September?

I don't think I have any NPAPI plugins, but I sure enjoy my extensions and customised UI.

I sure enjoy my extensions and customised UI.
Unfortunately you're going to find that a lot of those extensions are probably not going to be updated anymore since most of the developers have moved onto regular Firefox where they can write one extension and have it run on Firefox, Chrome, Opera, and Microsoft Edge (with some tweaking of course but you get the idea). All the major browsers (except for old Pale Moon) have an extension API that's very similar so you can write once, run it anywhere. That's what developers want.

Is that the only extension that you have? There's got to be more man! Most people have at the very least ten extensions.

Just didn't want to post the whole list.
Decentraleyes, DOM Inspector Plus!, Download Manager (S3), Error Console2, Extended Statusbar, Formfiller, Gmail Watcher, Guerilla Scripting, Image Zoom, Lazarus: Form Recovery, Links and Forms, Menu Wizard, MinimizeToTray revived, NoScript, PasswordMaker, Paste and Go 3 Again, RequestPolicy Continued, Resurrect Pages, Secure Login, Smart Referer, Stay-Open Menu, Stylem, TargetKiller, uBlock Origin, userChromeJS
Mine are Stylish-Custom and CuteButtons (when the API support those two then I'll upgrade)... probably

A few of them aren't maintained, but those were mostly abandoned before XUL :) so I do what little needs to be done; mostly just add delays so they load after paint, and a couple error msgs in log.

I also keep a Chromium window open, and an Opera 12.17 when I want to have fun.

Is there a reason to use that instead of Watefox (which seems to get semi-regular updates)?

Is there a reason to use that instead of Watefox (which seems to get semi-regular updates)?
If you ask me... Nope. Can't think of any reason.

Pale Moon will end up on the garbage pile of history soon with how they refuse to go multi-process.

I prefer Waterfox over Palemoon due to how well its supported across OSes & keeping up with new tech/features released by Mozilla.

I use both Palemoon and Waterfox. And more. One browser does not rule them all.

Because Palemoon is not multi-process, it much easier to kill the task when things go sideways. As they tend to do on beta pages and ranting on [H]...

I am really not a fan of too much forks. It causes too much fragmentation (I don't want to say it, but linux usually comes in mind first). To each of his own i guess

Been using palemoon x64 for years. Mine is modified to the brink. Sad that development has stopped for fossamail.

My palemoon.

JbxhkSc.png

Last I checked, Waterfox was more of a direct Firefox clone built on x64, while Pale Moon is a more distinct fork that sticks to its features and UI in a more stable and committed manner. I find Pale Moon superior to both Firefox and Waterfox, as it is fast, customizable and, most of all, stable development/UI wise. Firefox is a bloated ever changing mess in comparison.

Back