Firefox for Android, Now With Video That ‘Just Works’

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Good news for all of you Android mobile web browser users, Mozilla has added support for the H.264 video codec for Jelly Bean (4.1) and Ice Cream Sandwich (4.0) platforms.

Technically the new H.264 support is not a part of Firefox, rather the browser is tapping into Android’s underlying H.264 support to decode video.

I have been using firefox on my tablet for a while now pretty excited to give this a go.

Mozilla was always against support for H.264, or any other video codec that had patents on it. This is... An odd move.

So much for sticking to their principles.

Their principles never made much sense anyway. I believe they may have actually expected Ogg Theora to win the online format war, which is just a comically absurd notion. Not that I have anything against Theora, but there's a way things work and there's a way things don't work.

They don't support H264 directly cause it would cost a ton of money to license.

The licensing costs aren't really that great. Mozilla was just acting idealistically.

I use Dolphin on my phone and tablets. I don't know what kind of video it supports, but it works great for my needs.

If I want to watch something on Vimeo I just use the Vimeo app. Better experience than a web browser anyway.

Back