Firefox extension to test URL's.

Methadras

Supreme [H]ardness
Does anyone know if there is a program or extension to test all of the URL's in my bookmarks/favorites to see if they are still alive or active? I need to start pruning some URL's that don't work anymore, but I have so many. Anyone know, has seen, or has used a program like this? Thanks.

I don't know for certain but there could be a Greasemonkey script that might offer something to do the task also... always something to consider. That CheckPlaces one looks interesting, might have to do some testing with it.

Nice. I'll give that a try. I also wanted to update you guys on the deadlink software. I work really well. The only problem is the import of the bookmarks doesn't work very well at all. I had to export my bookmarks from FF and then load them into Deadlinks because for some reason it couldn't translate the HTML file that FF has in the profiles directory.

That is why I stopped using Deadlink because it does not work well with Firefox 3.

From the Deadlink support forum.

"Unfortunately there is no direct way to check Firefox 3 bookmarks.

Firefox 3 uses now a database to store bookmarks instead of a single file (bookmarks.html) as it was in Firefox 2.x. AM-DeadLink can only check this bookmarks.html file.

But it's possible to export your Firefox 3 bookmarks to a single bookmarks.html file and re-import it after it was processed by AM-DeadLink.

If you re-import bookmarks.html into Firefox 3 you would end up with lots of duplicate bookmarks. You need to delete the old bookmarks in Firefox 3 before importing the checked bookmarks."

That is why I stopped using Deadlink because it does not work well with Firefox 3.

From the Deadlink support forum.

"Unfortunately there is no direct way to check Firefox 3 bookmarks.

Firefox 3 uses now a database to store bookmarks instead of a single file (bookmarks.html) as it was in Firefox 2.x. AM-DeadLink can only check this bookmarks.html file.

But it's possible to export your Firefox 3 bookmarks to a single bookmarks.html file and re-import it after it was processed by AM-DeadLink.

If you re-import bookmarks.html into Firefox 3 you would end up with lots of duplicate bookmarks. You need to delete the old bookmarks in Firefox 3 before importing the checked bookmarks."

Yup. Took me all of 5 minutes to discover that problem. It's an easy work-around, but needless, so I stopped using it and loaded the firefox extension and it works great. Just what I was looking for. Actually, this tool should be an essential if not a built-in tool in firefox.

Back