Firefox doesn't stick to one download folder

Hiyruu

2[H]4U
Instead of just downloading everything to one folder, it will save it to different folders seemingly at random.

How to force only one download folder for everything?

under general tab , go to downloads , and save files to , then select correct folder you want as permanent download , then hit ok .
Ive never had a problem with firefox moving folders

under general tab , go to downloads , and save files to , then select correct folder you want as permanent download , then hit ok .
Ive never had a problem with firefox moving folders

I already have that set, doesn't help.

When it "randomly" uses a different folder, what is the location of that folder? And how many different locations is it using?

Sometimes it also depends what your default save location is within FireFox vs. your "downloads" library (assuming you're using Windows).

I've also not had a problem with FF using a directory other than what I've set. Try reinstalling FF.

Speaking of Firefox downloads, answer me this.

On my primary PC, when I press the download button (the down arrow) my Library opens to the Downloads folders. On a new PC I just installed, Firefox 22 download button opens to a full screen window. How can you change that to open the Library (ctrl+shift+b)?

Also, when I go to youtube.com it doesn't prompt me to add Youtube search to my search engines. What's up with that?

Last edited:
Speaking of Firefox downloads, answer me this.

On my primary PC, when I press the download button (the down arrow) my Library opens to the Downloads folders. On a new PC I just installed, Firefox 22 download button opens to a full screen window. How can you change that to open the Library (ctrl+shift+b)?

Also, when I go to youtube.com it doesn't prompt me to add Youtube search to my search engines. What's up with that?
Not sure about the new download window feature. But if you click on the arrow for downloads, then you can right-click on one of the items and say "open containing folder" and it will open a windows explorer window to your download location. This newest change annoyed me a little bit too. I don't know if there's a setting you can adjust to revert to the previous interface.

I don't understand what you mean about adding youtube search to your search engines.

Not sure about the new download window feature. But if you click on the arrow for downloads, then you can right-click on one of the items and say "open containing folder" and it will open a windows explorer window to your download location. This newest change annoyed me a little bit too. I don't know if there's a setting you can adjust to revert to the previous interface.
You can revert to the old download interface by changing browser.download.useToolkitUI to true, but that's not what I want to do. I want the download button to open my library. I have no idea how I got it to do that.
I don't understand what you mean about adding youtube search to your search engines.
When you go to Youtube (or some other sites), if you click your search providers in the Firefox toolbar, they used to have a prompt there to add a search for that site to your search engine list. So for example, in my new Firefox install, I can't add Youtube. There are 3rd party search utilities, but I want the actual Youtube published search engine. I can't add it back.

Instead of just downloading everything to one folder, it will save it to different folders seemingly at random.

How to force only one download folder for everything?

Two months too late, but... Firefox made a change where it remembers the download location on a per-site basis.

To revert to the previous behavior, open "about:config", right-click and select "New -> Boolean".

Enter "browser.download.lastDir.savePerSite" for the preference name. Then after creating the new preference, set it to false.

So to answer my own question, a clean install of Firefox 20 will use the Library if you click the download button. If you move or adjust the UI and restart Firefox, it switches to the fullscreen mode. Somehow at home I'm able to move it but still use the Library part.

*Edit* Apparently in Private Browsing mode you always use the full screen downloader.

Last edited:
You could always try PaleMoon as an alternative. It's an optimized version of Firefox. They also have a portable version

Back