Firefox and back button behavior

MScrip

Gawd
Let's say I'm in the middle of a long page in Firefox, then I click a link. Now I'm on the new page. When I click the back button, it goes back to the top of the previous page... THEN jumps down to the middle where I was on that page.

Does anyone know why this happens? If I use IE, when I click back, it goes instantly back to the middle of the previous page.

It seems to be working fine for me in firefox, returns to the point where I was previously browsing.

Differences in the way the browsers are handling anchor tags on pages would be my best assumption.

Proper browser behavior should return you to the point where you were before, so if you've scrolled down to a place on a page, click a link, then decide to go Back, the browser "should" return you to the very place you were. One reason I think Firefox does that is because it caches pages in RAM whereas IE caches pages on disk. Seems odd but it could be relevant in the long run, and it's my preferred behavior for a browser.

But then again, I never left-click links anymore, I haven't for years now. I wheel-click everything which causes new links to open in new tabs, far more efficient - that way I have my place wherever that was, and I've got the new content also. No more of that silly Back/Forward stuff... ;)

Back