Firefox acting very strangely

DoggyDaddi

Gawd
About a week ago, my Firefox started acting up. When I try to right click and save an image, I cant choose a directory or file name.. its just a big window that pops up with the 2 buttons save & cancel. It also started taking literally 5+ minutes to load.

So last night, I go ahead and completely remove Firefox.. I mean uninstalled/deleted it from my system, removed any traces in my hidden apps files/directories... etc

Then I reinstalled fresh and added back in my book marks.

Absolutely perfect.. everything was just like it was supposed to be. and I was happy. All was right with the world. Rebooted several times and tested to make sure all was peachy. Finding everything perfect.. I went to bed. Got up.. everything was fine again, and went to work. No other Apps were ever effected, it was ONLY Firefox that was acting weird.

I just got back from work... and its acting shitty again just like before I reinstalled.

I'm using the newest version, on a fully updated Vista 64 Ultimate OS. I updated all of my drivers about a month ago.. but this crap started just a few days ago. Norton Internet Security doesn't detect anything, and I haven't installed or downloaded anything anything in weeks.

Anyone have any ideas? Any kind of scan I can run to check what Norton isn't seeing?

Question 1: have you installed any extensions for Firefox?
Question 2: have to tried disable/shutting down NIS and seeing how Firefox reacts?

Extenstions? Not recently.. and as for NIS.. it and Firefox have been working together perfectly fine for months with absolutely no problems.. this started just a couple days ago. NIS was active last night when I did the reinstall too, and nothing was wrong.

What pisses me off is I have no idea what happened during the 10 hours I was at work that put things right back where they were a day ago.

In any case.. Im going to reinstall, but this time Im not saving anything but passwords and bookmarks.. everything else goes bye-bye.

I found something. Its called Trojan Vundo. I couldn't find it when Firefox was installed. But once I removed it, and eliminated any traces, this stopped hiding for some reason. It effected a LOT of processes, but the screwed up part is it seems designed to disrupt Firefox, while leaving I.E. completely unmolested.

Now that I THINK I've cleared it... gonna re-install Firefox and see what happens.

I found something. Its called Trojan Vundo. I couldn't find it when Firefox was installed. But once I removed it, and eliminated any traces, this stopped hiding for some reason. It effected a LOT of processes, but the screwed up part is it seems designed to disrupt Firefox, while leaving I.E. completely unmolested.

I knew they were behind this! Gather your pitchforks, men!

The vundo virus is usually embedded in myspace pages...
so beware o' them myspace bitches, they might get you infected even without touching you :p

Get NoScript for FF & all your headaches will go away with self-loading scripts :)

Back