Firefox 6 Is Now Officially Out

HardOCP News

[H] News
We know that Firefox 6 has been out (unofficially) for a few days now via Mozilla's FTP site but today it is official. The download weighs in at just over 13MB so grab it if you want it, try it if you haven't.

Thanks, just updated from v5. I don't know what's up with all the quick version changes lately. v1-3 lasted years, but v4 and v5 lasted only a few months.

I've been using it since yesterday and I don't really notice any changes except for a couple very minor ones.

"Firefox development is on a tear right now, with new versions projected every six weeks for the near future. By Thanksgiving, we should see Firefox 8 emerge. In Firefox 6, most of the changes are actually invisible to end users..."

Kinda sums it up.

Yeah...the new update cycle is kind of dumb because they are doing it to artificially increase the version count. They haven't changed anything since version 4. They aren't releasing a new version because it warranted it, but merely because it has been 6 weeks since their last release.

Been using Aurora 7.0 for weeks now. Couldn't be happier with it. Stable as a rock. Faster than Chrome in javascript performance and even beats IE9 in HWA with the new Azure D2D engine.

Can't wait till Electrolysis lands so we can really see the performance spike. Also - all of my add-ons work. Not sure what problems you people are having. I've got about 15 of them and they're all compatible with Firefox 7.

Seems pages load a little quicker over version 5. I have no issues with the speed of them updating. Add-on's catch up quick enough so that's not really much of an issue for me. As long as they continue with the method they are using and not go with this "we know best what you want so live with it" like Microsoft did with IE9, I'm good to go. Firefox remains my default browser especially since IE9 which I don't like at all and have taken off my computer.

For me plugin performance has greatly improved because for some reason 5 was really choppy when I had 5. Now I'm happy again with Firefox.

NONE of my add-ons are compatible, going back to 5.:mad:

Just fix them yourself. It's not hard to download the XPI, modify the install.rdf file, insert it back into the XPI, and manually install.

These are such minor releases (they now number quickly like Google numbers Chrome) that actually having an add-on not work due to a major change is pretty slim.

I always suspected firefox was gay. He was always commenting on other browsers physiques and adding americas next top model to the favirotes.

Well congratulations mr firefox!

Just fix them yourself. It's not hard to download the XPI, modify the install.rdf file, insert it back into the XPI, and manually install.

These are such minor releases (they now number quickly like Google numbers Chrome) that actually having an add-on not work due to a major change is pretty slim.

I modded all My xpi files, sure I had to find TMP 0.3.8.6pre.110806a and make sure It could do FF 9, But it works under FF 8.0a1 x64 just fine.

The issue with making these version releases instead of point releases is (like others have said) the lack of plug-in compatibility.
It was always pretty rare when a point release broke multiple plug-ins.
Pretty much none of mine work with this release now. Versions 4 and 5 were the same way.

I just hope soon firefox will have an auto update feature like chrome, where you never see it upgrade it just does.

What are they trying to catch up with IE?

1.0 - Nov 2004

1.5 - Nov 2005

2.0 - Oct 2006

3.0 - Jun 2008

3.5 - Jun 2009

3.6 - Jan 2010

4.0 - Mar 2011
5.0 - Jun 2011
6.0 - Aug 2011
7.0 - Sep 2011
8.0 - Nov 2011
9.0 - Dec 2011

The same one they fix the memory leaks in. It's apparently coming out 30th Feb 2012

And that leak still exists in FF 8.0a1, Oh and soon their will be no version number anymore for FF, except if one digs into about:config or something...

Sounds dumb to Me, Handing MSIE an opportunity to say FF It's never updated, as it has no version number and so it appears to be a dead browser.

Microsoft can say all they want. Firefox will continue to be more customizable than IE will ever be. Microsoft just doesn't think like Mozilla does.

1.0 - Nov 2004

1.5 - Nov 2005

2.0 - Oct 2006

3.0 - Jun 2008

3.5 - Jun 2009

3.6 - Jan 2010

4.0 - Mar 2011
5.0 - Jun 2011
6.0 - Aug 2011
7.0 - Sep 2011
8.0 - Nov 2011
9.0 - Dec 2011
9.0 doesn't exist Yet to My knowledge, and modding an xpi to support 10.0+ is a problem, If the file is 1 byte bigger FF assumes It's corrupt and won't load the xpi.

Microsoft can say all they want. Firefox will continue to be more customizable than IE will ever be. Microsoft just doesn't think like Mozilla does.

IE9 doesn't gobble up memory like there's no tomorrow and go crash too, but then neither does Opera, But strangely FF does, possibly cause of Javascript.

I agree, they hardly change anything in all these releases. They are really small updates and shouldnt have entire new version numbers. I dont know why they do that crap.

Anyways...

I am still on firefox 4. Is that bad? lolol

And that leak still exists in FF 8.0a1, Oh and soon their will be no version number anymore for FF, except if one digs into about:config or something...

That doesn't sound like a good policy? How are they going to tell people to upgrade to the new version? "upgrade from firefox...to firefox!" what if an issue 12 has and people are wary of is sorted out in 13? "I never used firefox because it had those issues but now people are saying I should upgrade to firefox to sort it out". I know chrome has "secret" numbers, but it really isn't a good thing.

Firefox is a terrible browser in buisness/network situations. Opera is more customizable, but doesn't have all the same issues firefox has. This isn't because of how people think or whatever.

I've been running FF6 since it came out. The only thing I see, which is great, is the speed. It is much faster than 5. Doesn't take any time to load and gets to the sites faster, for some reason.

I did have a problem with Java. Had to install 7 to get it to run right. All the other plugins/addons seem to work great, so far.

Not sure what I can say about the quick releases. Not really worried about it though.

I'm still using 3.6.20. Works great. Since 4, DPI scaling at 200% is broken. Don't see any reason to upgrade, they still release security patches for 3.

I agree, they hardly change anything in all these releases. They are really small updates and shouldnt have entire new version numbers. I dont know why they do that crap.

Anyways...

I am still on firefox 4. Is that bad? lolol

from security standpoint yes, as i do not think firefox are doing the mini updates any more for older versions

they do need to get there ram use sorted out thought

1.0 - Nov 2004

1.5 - Nov 2005

2.0 - Oct 2006

3.0 - Jun 2008

3.5 - Jun 2009

3.6 - Jan 2010

4.0 - Mar 2011
5.0 - Jun 2011
6.0 - Aug 2011
7.0 - Sep 2011
8.0 - Nov 2011
9.0 - Dec 2011

This seems unbelievably dumb.

NONE of my add-ons are compatible, going back to 5.:mad:

1.Go to about :config.
2. Right click anywhere and make a new boolean entry extensions.checkCompatibility.<version> where <version> is the version number (i.e., 6.0b is for 6.0 beta, nightly is for the nightly releases, etc.).
3. Set this entry to true.

You can also use this plugin here if you don't want to do the above

You now owe me a beer.

1.0 - Nov 2004

1.5 - Nov 2005

2.0 - Oct 2006

3.0 - Jun 2008

3.5 - Jun 2009

3.6 - Jan 2010

4.0 - Mar 2011
5.0 - Jun 2011
6.0 - Aug 2011
7.0 - Sep 2011
8.0 - Nov 2011
9.0 - Dec 2011

Actually they are dropping numbers and the browser will eventually autoupdate similar to chrome.

I swear I was just using Thunderbird 3 and all of a sudden it's at 6. Chrome is getting more users. It's a marketing ploy, because people usually don't announce v3.1, 3.1.1, 3.1.2, etc.

Back