Firefox 3.5 Is Out

HardOCP News

[H] News
Alright all you alternative browser types out there, Firefox 3.5 is out now. The English (US) version weighs in at just under 8MB so head on over and grab it if you want it or try it if you haven’t. Thanks to rflcptr for the heads up!

Firefox 3.5 is based on the Gecko 1.9.1 rendering platform, which has been under development for the past year. Firefox 3.5 offers many changes over the previous version, supporting new web technologies, improving performance and ease of use.

aww man. how come its not like 30+mb and it doesn't take 30+ minutes to install like ie7 and ie8?

i was looking forward to that:(

also breaking citrix and other business apps man!

Its VERY fast. Chrome speeds now actually.

Some of my addons stopped working though, will have to wait for some updates I guess.

bah - not compatible with one of my favourite add-ons - "yet another smooth scrolling"

oh well. i guess i have to wait for it to be updated :(

awesome. I never tried any of the betas, (still running 3.0.11) looking forward to this.

Same here. But I'll wait a couple weeks to make sure this is stable before upgrading to it. Or maybe even wait 'til 3.5.1 if I have enough patience. :eek:

It's a shame that Mozilla doesn't update mozilla.org anymore, at least not consistently. It's got a note from March 15th saying, "Mozilla Firefox 3.1 Beta 3 Released". :rolleyes:

Yeah, I know mozilla.com is where it's at, but they should still update their .org site.

Also, I'm surprised that Mozilla didn't let ride FF 3.5 RC a little while longer. Wasn't that just recently released to the public? I guess they feel that confident about FF 3.5. :)

Its not a complete make over like a X.X release, it is still firefox 3 so there is not that much to worry about IMO.

Yeah, the Final came out soon as expected. Let's see if something is broken..

I ran the 3.5 RCs and have moved to the Final. Love it. A few add-ons stopped working but either fixed them myself or found better versions that were compatible.

Speed is always in the eye of the beholder but it does seem faster to me then 3.0.11.

But in the long run it's just another browser update so use what you want. ;)

works fine. seems faster... but so does every update i ever do to anything. placebo effect i think

Is this the same as the RC2 build?

I installed, and the about screen didn't change, "Gecko/20090624" before, and "Gecko/20090624" after installing this final release over RC2...?

Doesn't really matter, just curious.

Firefox has fallen off the wagon IMO

It's super laggy and slow these days - its always freezing up for me :(

Downloaded+installed.

Works fine for me, except for a few add-ons. :p
All of my addons work and have worked with the 3.5 betas and rc's except for LogMeIn. But it works with no adverse effects if you disable compatibility checking, maybe your other addons will be similar?

Add a new boolean key named "extensions.checkCompatibility" to Firefox's about:config page. Set it to false.

Could be an issue with your internet or your computer. :confused:

All of my addons work and have worked with the 3.5 betas and rc's except for LogMeIn. But it works with no adverse effects if you disable compatibility checking, maybe your other addons will be similar?

Add a new boolean key named "extensions.checkCompatibility" to Firefox's about:config page. Set it to false.

Thanks for the tip. ;)

Wow, this is fast, page loads seem to be 2-3x faster for me, and so's Javascript. All the Chrome guys are gonna be crying in here pretty soon, since they just lost the only reason to stay with their browser. :p

just installed it, the soft lock/hanging bug i was getting with 3.0.11 is still happening, but now the time it hangs is about 50% less. i thought it would either remain unchanged, or go away entirely. weirdest browser bug ive ever encountered

I hate these updates I lost save images in folder, GameFAQS toolbar (that never seems updated anymore) and Chinese Pera-kun. Changed to Noia 2.0 (eXtreme) 3.64 from Aero. I love this more than Aero. I can still live with this. Its always worth it in the end.

Heh, I installed RC last night. I only used it to download final.

Seems faster and I like the private browsing

You still need flash to watch videos so I don't know html5 helps.

You might want to get a few of those virus/worm/herpa-sipha-ghonera fixed before you blame other pieces of software.

For those of you who have problems with extensions breaking, it took me quite a while to find but try this, disable firefox addon version check.

# Type about:config in your URL bar
# Right-click > New > Boolean
# Preference Name = extensions.checkCompatibility
# Value = false

Heh, I installed RC last night. I only used it to download final.

Seems faster and I like the private browsing

You still need flash to watch videos so I don't know html5 helps.
that is a site by site issue, not a firefox issue. Once sites start designing sites with html5, and embedding video with html tags instead of flash plugins, then you won't need flash.

To save everyone some time:

"Firefox is too bloated, I use Chrome"
"I ain't switching to Chrome until it can use extensions"
"Extensions make Firefox bloated"
"Memory Hog"
"Who cares, I have 96GB RAM"
"I ain't switching to Chrome until it includes AdBlock Plus"
"Web Standards"
"Vulnerabilities"
"Opera has included every imaginable browsing feature since 1978 and actually ADDS RAM to your system every time you run it"
"Safari"

/thread

Does feel faster. I like!

My 1000HA gets killed by flash. Anyway I can customize ff? Love my netbook until I surf and a site is full of flash.

Wow, this is fast, page loads seem to be 2-3x faster for me, and so's Javascript. All the Chrome guys are gonna be crying in here pretty soon, since they just lost the only reason to stay with their browser. :p

What do you mean "all the Chrome guys"? From what I understand, Kyle Bennett is the only Chrome guy. :D

Back